Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Ineresting news article on Anthem.

by GoodOldGamer

Original Post

Ineresting news article on Anthem.

★★★ Apprentice

Talks about what happened with development behind closed doors etc. Guess the game was originally supposed to be named Beyond as well. Looks like another Andromeda story. Whole game mashed together at the last minute. Not to mention EA forcing Frostbite on the dev team. Anyway it does help to shed some light on the current situation.

How Bioware's Anthem went wrong.

Message 1 of 120 (1,539 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Apprentice

It's a long and sad article to read. I was sad that I bought the game earlier. Now I'm just angry. 

Message 2 of 120 (1,516 Views)

I find Jason's articles generally well researched.

That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying Anthem, though it took a month to reach 'launch quality'.

Irrespective of whatever insights the article brings, BioWare's next move is all about how the game develops in the coming weeks, months and years.

There is 'BioWare magic' in the underlying game, it now needs to grow well. Standard smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 3 of 120 (1,497 Views)

★★★ Guide

I dont get how the name Anthem is weirder or more out of place then Beyond. Bioware already responded to the article too. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/games/2019/04/bioware-kotaku-anthems-development/amp/

Message 4 of 120 (1,467 Views)

★★★ Guide

Wow.  That was quite a good read - OP - thank-you for posting this.

Message 5 of 120 (1,438 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Yeah it's very long but I thought it was a very insightful read. Especially some of the stuff from developers such as,

As an example, the developer brought up the unique feel of Destiny’s large variety of guns, something that Anthem seemed to be lacking, in large part because it was being built by a bunch of people who had mostly made RPGs. “We really didn’t have the design skill to be able to do that,” they said. “There just wasn’t the knowledge base to be able to develop that kind of diversity.”

I found this interesting because one of the things you often hear the community talk about is how there is no diversity in gun appearance etc. This article pretty much explains all that.

Message 6 of 120 (1,429 Views)

Champion

@RoninJed wrote:

I dont get how the name Anthem is weirder or more out of place then Beyond.

Especially since the article first states, it was one of the backup options. That means it has been discussed before, and so it's rather astonishing to read that the name meant nothing to the team. Doesn't sound very convincing to me.

I can hardly imagine the production of a game of this size is without problems. Teamwork isn't always easy, and different teams in different locations don't make life easier.

Still, this article reminds me of the feedback for the company I work for left by some former colleagues at a review site on the internet. Work isn't always sunshine, but apparently, I'm working in hell and do not even know it.

Personal perception of the work at a company can vary widely. And the people who like working for a company and still are employed there aren't as likely to give away internal details as those who don't. So I take it the input for this article may be more than a bit biased.

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 7 of 120 (1,423 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Very true on personal perception. Though I did get a kick out of this,

That the first name in Anthem’s credits is someone who started working on the game in October 2017, just 16 months before it shipped, says volumes about its development.

Either way from what was envisioned seven years ago to what we have today is extremely different it seems.

Message 8 of 120 (1,407 Views)

Champion

@ChiTownTx wrote:

Very true on personal perception. Though I did get a kick out of this,

That the first name in Anthem’s credits is someone who started working on the game in October 2017, just 16 months before it shipped, says volumes about its development.

Either way from what was envisioned seven years ago to what we have today is extremely different it seems.

That made me chuckle. Because, you see, as far as I'm concerned visions are what the guys from management like to talk about 

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 9 of 120 (1,401 Views)

★★ Guide

@ChiTownTx wrote:

Yeah it's very long but I thought it was a very insightful read. Especially some of the stuff from developers such as,

As an example, the developer brought up the unique feel of Destiny’s large variety of guns, something that Anthem seemed to be lacking, in large part because it was being built by a bunch of people who had mostly made RPGs. “We really didn’t have the design skill to be able to do that,” they said. “There just wasn’t the knowledge base to be able to develop that kind of diversity.”

I found this interesting because one of the things you often hear the community talk about is how there is no diversity in gun appearance etc. This article pretty much explains all that.

The mass effect games had a large variety of interesting guns.  How do they go from being able to do that to being unable to do that?

Message 10 of 120 (1,389 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help