In-Depth Guide to Unlocking Heirlooms

by CompleatBeet

Original Post

In-Depth Guide to Unlocking Heirlooms

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Heirlooms cosmetics are extremely rare cosmetic sets for your legends. Each set contains a Melee Weapon Skin,Banner Pose and Intro Quip. There are currently 6 Heirloom Sets for Wraith, Bloodhound, Lifeline, Pathfinder, Octane and Mirage. 

There are two ways to obtain Heirloom cosmetics:

- Craft a set with Heirloom Shards

- Unlock all 24 Collection Event Packs and you get an Heirloom set for free

Heirloom Shards can be obtained by opening Apex Packs; each pack opened has a <1% chance to award a BONUS pack containing 150 Heirloom Shards. It is impossible to open 500 Apex Packs without getting your shards. When you get Heirloom Shards, you can craft a set for whoever you want in the Store. Note that when all sets are unlocked, you can't get shards until the release of a new set.

When a new set is released, it is featured in a Collection Event and if you buy and open all 24 Event Packs, you will receive a pack containing your set (buying all 24 packs will save you like 70% compared to buying 500 packs for Heirloom shards) After the event the heirloom can be crafted with Heirloom Shards.

The quickest way to get guaranteed Heirloom sets is to just buy 500 Packs, but I am aware this is not for everyone. I don't have any tips other than to grind XP and buy as much battle passes as possible: you will receive at least one set if you don't give up and invest your time and patience into the game.

Message 1 of 6 (1,667 Views)

Re: In-Depth Guide to Unlocking Heirlooms

[ Edited ]

@CompleatBeetNice guide! I was mildly concerned this would contain suggestions of rituals to increase the odds of getting one. There are no rituals that will increase the odds of getting one aside from buying 500 apex packs. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 6 (1,597 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@DarthValtrex 

Thanks! I appreciate your compliment of my guide.

As of right now, you cannot obtain 500 Apex Packs without buying at least some, but if you've gotten good fortune cookies, you might get Shards from a Pack you got for reaching a certain level or a BP Apex Pack.

Again, if you get Shards before your 500th pack, just know how insanely lucky you are. I think it's safe to assume that you have a 1 in 500 chance (0.002%) every time you open an Apex Pack however there is no confirmation: all we are sure of is that the chance is LESS THAN 1% and once you open your 500th pack that chance rockets to 100%.

Message 3 of 6 (1,586 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Oh, and the idea your chance increases with every pack is not true. A lot of Heirloom Guides say that your first pack has a 1 in 500 chance and this increases to 1 in 499, 1 in 488 and so on until the 500th pack which is 1 in 1. Your chance remains as <1% until you open your 500th Apex Pack which guarantees a Heirloom Shard pack.

I wish this theory was true but Heirloom Unboxings have proven this is definitely not the case Frown

Message 4 of 6 (1,583 Views)

[ Edited ]

@CompleatBeetYup! I had to buy the additional packs to get mine. I think I purchased 300 apex packs or so. I can't remember exactly.

I have about 11,000 crafting materials at the moment. Saving those for either Bang or Wattson Heirloom, I have not decided yet. When those events happen, I'm going to craft as many of the event items as possible to try and minimize the number of event packs I have to buy.

If I have to guess the odds of getting a heirloom from any one pack are around .2-.5%. The guarantee is at 500 packs, 1/500 gives ya a .2% chance. So I'd say it's probably in that neighborhood. 

You are 100% correct the odds do not increase with each pack opened. The apex pack system is RNG based. Increasing the odds would require an entirely new RNG sequence for each pack opened. That would mean the devs would have to create 500 different RNG, which would be very time consuming.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 5 of 6 (1,572 Views)

★★★ Guide

That would mean the devs would have to create 500 different RNG, which would be very time consuming.

Um no, they would not have to create 500 separate systems. They would need to adjust their formula to include number of packs open so far when accounting for the % of the heirloom drop. It's an extremely easy change, but it also would make it much easier for people to get the Heirlooms, and they obviously wouldn't want something like that because they want people to spend as much money as they can before the 500th pack.

Message 6 of 6 (1,523 Views)