Improving a Near Perfect Game

by The_MAGG0T

Original Post

Improving a Near Perfect Game

★★★★★ Novice

I've been a long standing fan of the NFS series, going way back to the original Hot Pursuit, some of my best memories were had playing these games. NFS Heat definitely lives up and even exceeds my expectations in most areas, especially customization.

One area of customization I would love to see changed slightly, is engine swaps. It's so cool to be able to slam in crazy engines and have a car sound totally different after. I remember reading here in the forums that it was intended so you can use your favorite car and even dabble with some sleeper builds! For brand loyalists, this would be epic (looking straight at the Volvo, Golf, Ford, Dodge and Honda guys!)

Its wicked cool hearing it sound different, but for stealth/sleeper purposes it is a bit of a give away to the machine's true intentions. If we were to have an engine to match the best possible engine swap for the specific car, but retain the original displacement and number of cylinders. Having it sound just like the old engine, or even just slightly different, could open up massive opportunities for sleeper builds.

From a real life standpoint, there are many forged racing blocks that "copy" famous engines such as LS or 2JZ. With the blueprints, the manufacturers build a racing-spec engine with cutting edge materials and know-how. I'm no expert on the topic, but the drag cars at shows still have a Chevy 350 or 396 in them, just made by Chevy.

Just a quick idea that I thought would bring even more flavor and spice to a pretty sweet work of art! Cant wait to see how the game and community grows

Message 1 of 12 (627 Views)

Re: Improving a Near Perfect Game

★★ Expert

@The_MAGG0T 

Hey just wanted to say I really appreciated you're fine to post you wrote down some wonderful info.

If you're interested in a cool topic of that Chevy 396 Engine.

This will give readers more real-life info on this fantastic powerful motor by GM.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/chevy-396-cid-v-8-engine.htm 

I hope you enjoy the good read I posted and i hope the community likes it too. 

As a car guy, I really like some of the GM upper products they build! 

Have a wonderful weekend.

Message 2 of 12 (610 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I just tune the engine sound down to the lowest setting, via pitch / exhaust adjustment and it therefore ends up getting more of a stock motor sound, at least for that particular motor.  As far as displacement being lowered  for a swapped motor without hurting performance, keeping in mind that the most I've done is take an engine apart and put it back together, I believe would be hard to do.  Displacement = Engine size; bigger pistons, rods, crank, block, etc.  Of course this is a game, so that would really just be a matter is changing numbers, if you're a developer.  

Here's how I feel about engine and transmission swaps, in general, in this game.  Every engine and transmission should be available for every car in this game, that is, if build the car the way you want is to be believed.  It sounds great on paper, but when you get right down to it, it's all restricted. 

Not that I care anymore, mind you.  From what I've been told in another thread, where this game is at is, most likely, where this game will stay.

Message 3 of 12 (606 Views)

★★ Expert

@ZeroMcDol  

Yeah, your 100% on what you posted and I agree with your last statement towards the end of your post.

You said: Quote: 

Not that I care anymore, mind you. 

From what I've been told in another thread, where this game is at is, most likely, where this game will stay.

Reply: Yes your right I don't forsee Ghost Devs doing much more with the tweaking the system for our cars.

I realize as I'm sure you do its just a game but I know so many of us just want that real sound when swapping out engines and stuff. 

Real cars and game cars two wholly different worlds and your pint is 100% honest and true! 

Thanks for sharing in the Forums. 

Message 4 of 12 (593 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I don't think it would be too much tweaking lol, they'd just have to copy the stats of the best engine swap along with the in-game text and audio of the original engine for a car. Idk man, it would just open up so many options for sleepers.

Message 5 of 12 (564 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@BLVD69 

You are most welcome.

Message 6 of 12 (539 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@The_MAGG0T 

Mainly coding, encrypting, and recording sounds. 

Based on observing some of the code for TDU2s car sounds:  Record the sound (usually wave or mp3 format)  - add in code which will involve writing a script with the names of the sounds in the high part (there's 2 parts) - rinse and repeat step two for the low part - create a file high and low, in TDUs case it's a .bnk file - code it into the game.  You'd have to blah blah create a format (whatever file this game uses) - encrypt said file and I'm not even sure that this is all the steps.

Message 7 of 12 (531 Views)

★ Pro
@The_MAGG0T This game pretty far from perfect, but devs don't seem to care at all. I am a fan of this game aswell but it has to get fixes for even the smallest things. Like 0 effort fixes and they still ignore them. Sorry to say but they devs probably don't care about it.
Message 8 of 12 (488 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Sjonny30   

Indeed.  

I am a fan of this game, but I believe that this will be my last time buying a need for speed game, which until this game I hadn't played a nfs game since World was shutdown.  To me, the series seems to have degenerated into a shameless cash grab.  Don't get me wrong, there are many great things about this game, but there are also many annoying factors that will probably be ignored, on top of the incomplete story.

So if this is the direction that nfs is going to continue going, it'll be best if I just completely ignore any future nfs games.  Of course, I'm going to keep playing this game when I feel like, otherwise, it'd be a waste of money.

Message 9 of 12 (444 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hey, sorry for the late reply, been working a lot. Also I dont think they would have to re-record anything, they already have the original engine sounds for the cars when you first purchase them. Sure the coding may be a bit tedious but they have added much bigger game changers, I dont think this one would be too big of an undertaking lol. It would certainly open some options for sleeper builds more than ever, as with current swaps the audio basically tells you it's a swap since it sounds different lol.

Message 10 of 12 (405 Views)