Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: If i get a bricked console.

by BadIuckJ

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Just a heads up, someone on the Anthem Reddit who claimed to "work for Sony" said no consoles have been "bricked" despite the reports. He said they actually just need to go through a "database rebuild process" which I guess you just have to look up how to do if it happens to you. Still *, but that's what comes with an unfinished game!

Also, we might as well all just use the Anthem Reddit, because that's where all of the information and updates are coming from BioWare first.

Message 11 of 27 (235 Views)

★★★ Guide

If you're worried about it, don't play it. I wouldn't expect any recompense for EA or Sony. For myself, if my Pro breaks, that's just an excuse to get a BoneX. (It's Microsoft's turn. I alternate. Too poor for both XP )

Message 12 of 27 (225 Views)

★★★ Guide

@houseofcantor wrote:

If you're worried about it, don't play it. I wouldn't expect any recompense for EA or Sony. For myself, if my Pro breaks, that's just an excuse to get a BoneX. (It's Microsoft's turn. I alternate. Too poor for both XP )

This is my goal as well - "Sorry Honey, My Xbox died and I need the new one now."

Unfortunately, after over 100 hours playing I see no sign that Anthem will kill my Xbox.

Message 13 of 27 (206 Views)

★★ Guide

@Swiftless wrote:

Just a heads up, someone on the Anthem Reddit who claimed to "work for Sony" said no consoles have been "bricked" despite the reports. He said they actually just need to go through a "database rebuild process" which I guess you just have to look up how to do if it happens to you. Still *, but that's what comes with an unfinished game!

Also, we might as well all just use the Anthem Reddit, because that's where all of the information and updates are coming from BioWare first.

it's funny how a 3rd party site gets update and information first. 

Message 14 of 27 (202 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

Yes, but I’ve done this kind of certification work before. You are basically going down a checklist of things. It isn’t done on hundreds of machines or hundreds of times. So I can absolutely see where an inconsistent behavior could slip through. I’m no expert here, but that’s my experience (for both Microsoft and Nintendo). Sony could be different, but I doubt it.

but the most important thing is that consoles are not actually getting bricked. Needing to rebuild the database is bad, but it ain’t THAT bad. 

Message 15 of 27 (201 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Hopefully this only occurs to a few people. However, I’ve installed larger drives on various consoles for people and while you may not have the resources to do this, you could fix it. Of course you will lose everything stored on the drive.

You will need a pc or laptop and an external hd hookup tool. I bought one off of amazon for like $15 and supports many hard drive types and also has power hookups and connects to pc via usb.

First format the drive as Fat32 with your pc or laptop. Download the OS for ps4 from Sony and install onto the drive. Then hook it back up. 

Message 16 of 27 (195 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@TrainWreck44 Because before the day one patch everything ran smoothly with a few mission bugs, it was not hardware related but after the day 1 patch then * went downhill on all systems including PC.
Message 17 of 27 (188 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Additionally while you have the hd hooked up it may be possible to locate save files for any games you have and then move them onto the new drive using the exact same file path structure.

Message 18 of 27 (184 Views)

★ Guide

@Banfilidh wrote:

Yes, but I’ve done this kind of certification work before. You are basically going down a checklist of things. It isn’t done on hundreds of machines or hundreds of times. So I can absolutely see where an inconsistent behavior could slip through. I’m no expert here, but that’s my experience (for both Microsoft and Nintendo). Sony could be different, but I doubt it.

but the most important thing is that consoles are not actually getting bricked. Needing to rebuild the database is bad, but it ain’t THAT bad. 

You are not wrong. I dont work for Sony but another very large company. Service acceptance goes through templates where you go through a checklist item by item and test. If all tests are a pass then start the sign-off process.

Message 19 of 27 (166 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@WaterLemonPie wrote:
@TrainWreck44Because before the day one patch everything ran smoothly with a few mission bugs, it was not hardware related but after the day 1 patch then * went downhill on all systems including PC.

I have been playing on PC since Origin early access. I have experienced 3 sound cut outs in well over 100 hours gameplay. I have had the occasional disconnect and booted to title screen but that has happened less than a half a dozen times. I know I am in the minority, I also have a near top of the line rig, so I am less likely to experience these problems first hand.

@WaterLemonPie You are missing my point. Every game on console and every patch for said game after the initial release needs to go through a "rigorous" certification process. Developers often complain that this can take up to 2 weeks from Microsoft; while on PS4 it has been noted that it does not take as long. (Not sure how long the process is) They do this to insure that the software does not mess up the way their system operates. If a software is hard crashing a system to the point of needing to unplug their console from the wall and download the OS again and repair the hard drive, I feel like that is "adversely affecting the way their system operates." and as such should never have been given the green light to be allowed on the platform. So, again, Sony certified a product that is messing up peoples console. They are equally as guilty as BioWare and EA.

Message 20 of 27 (141 Views)
Twitter Stream