If Rux is Selling Items for Rainbow Stars, What's the Point of Coins...

by GammaX6

Original Post

Re: If Rux is Selling Items for Rainbow Stars, What's the Point of Coins...

★★★ Guide

In case anyone didn't catch it, in the Oct 31 livestream they mentioned that after Rux opens the prize map will have rainbow star rewards instead of coin rewards. So we'll be earning a few less coins and a few more rainbow stars.

Message 11 of 20 (743 Views)

★ Guide

I’ll probably be on the minor group for this, but perhaps there goal was different than what others would expect.

At first they tried to make it harder to gain cosmetics by making it 30,000, so that those who likes to collect everything won’t get it as fast. They heard the backlash and made coins a bit easier to obtain. Now they are in the rush to give out cosmetics through free battle pass without a break of no battle pass, while needing to put more content in the reward-o-tron. Games like these, the ones that are online and have all the characters unlocked from the start, have trouble with millions of coins just waiting to be used by players who already collected everything. Since buying variants via sticker packs are out of the question, cosmetics is the use of coins. It’s not unfamiliar to have an online game like this where coins are piled high.

Unfortunate for coins to just be piled high, but at least the free battle pass would hook the players (who got everything) here and there. It’s usually not the first time the players who play a lot will soon have a huge amount of gold stashed away.

Message 12 of 20 (723 Views)

★★★ Expert
@jnicol1975 Good. I don't need coins anymore. They are literally useless to me. I can't even buy XP at the machine to grind Bulbs because I hit max rank.
Message 13 of 20 (695 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@ippig wrote:
@jnicol1975Good. I don't need coins anymore. They are literally useless to me. I can't even buy XP at the machine to grind Bulbs because I hit max rank.

This.

I’ve been this way since weeks before launch. 

Message 14 of 20 (690 Views)

★ Pro

I think I heard something about the rewind system. Rainbow stars would be used for recovering items from unfinished prize maps. Anyway, they need to reintroduce the sticker book  so we can see our current collection and plan ahead of future seasons.

Message 15 of 20 (630 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

There's not many capsule left in my reward-o-tron now and got my last legendary hat from it yesterday so I'm closing in on not needing coins anymore and while I've been playing a lot, I've not really pushed for the most efficient methods to get coins, although I've broken a LOT of stuff for them in the free roam zones! (Must. Smash. Boxes!)

I am very curious about the future of coins as more and more people empty out the machine. They could of course be used for leveling new characters when they're added in future, but there's got to be more to get than just power leveling! I'm hoping every couple of months or so they'll add more stuff to the machine, both for new characters once they're released and for the old ones. Maybe they'll add more stuff to spend them on elsewhere too.

Message 16 of 20 (621 Views)

★★ Pro

Popcap should've seen this problem coming. It'll only be a matter of weeks. Even if they add more stuff to the machine, eventually some will have 20 million + coins, because the rate they add wouldn't be sufficient to the rate people earn coins. I know it sounds scummy, but I think they should've made it so that you buy upgrades with coins, and as you level up you get 2 to choose from, choose which one to buy first. I feel sorry for Popcap, there are probably some stupid players out there who only continued playing this game because of cosmetics.

Message 17 of 20 (563 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Suggestion...

Popcap introduce a class of really flashy amazing costumes. Maybe even with a  unique feature such as changing appearance after each kill similar to COD reactive camos. Something to really make them stand out from the rest.

Then sell them for a huge amount of coins, say 5 million each. Note: not available to purchase with real money, just in game earned coins.

This will give serious players something to spend on for months and months.

I've seen this done in other games and there are people playing for years who are still saving up to obtain all the best items.

Message 18 of 20 (543 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I ran the reward-o-tron out last night so am now at this point as well. I never used the power level machine, barring the stuffy quest anyway, and never farmed any of the quick coin methods so it did take some time to get done. I'm guessing they're going to put more items in the reward-o-tron over time and when new characters are added we can use the power level machine as well, but I certainly wouldn't mind a new way to spend the coins.

Message 19 of 20 (455 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

They'll need to either add a conversion NPC and or make more cosmetics!!

Message 20 of 20 (428 Views)