I want a weapon

by EdwardDLuffy

Original Post

I want a weapon

★ Expert

I know this has been discussed before, but it's time Respawn added the capacity to ask for a specific weapon to the quip wheel. I'm tired of finding a turbo then having to hunt for a Havoc or a Devotion. It's pretty dumb that I can ask my TMs for a turbo if I have a Havoc or Devotion, but not the other way around.

Same if you get a sniper scope yet can't ask for a specific sniper, or a DTT re: G7 or Eva 8.

Message 1 of 12 (476 Views)

Re: I want a weapon

★★★ Expert
@EdwardDLuffy I've been thinking a long while ago about an UI widget that can support more options than the quip wheel, while also being as easy to navigate and not taking up the whole screen. I have a solution, but unfortunately lack the time to detail it properly.

Basically, there should be a horizontal menu with request categories (weapons / gear / other), that opens just like the quip wheel. At the center, there would be a box highlighting the default category (weapons) and moving the cursor horizontally left and right would slide the menu, making other categories centering on the highlight box. Moving the cursor upwards would make the menu slide to the subcategories of the highlighted one (if weapons is selected, subcategories would be pistols / smg/ ar/ lmg / shotguns / snipers), while moving down would step back to the previous list of categories. There could be many levels, to make the request as specific as you want, and releasing the input would ping what's in the highlight box. This would produce all kinds of requests, from very generic to very detailed, for example: "I need a weapon", "I need a sniper", I'm looking for a Longbow", "I need an extended sniper mag for a Longbow", "I need a purple extended sniper mag for a Longbow". Optionally, pinging a certain category could set a ping flag to active, so that the next time you select the same category, you cancel that ping: "Don't need a purple extended sniper mag for a Longbow anymore".

Because this menu would be horizontal and showing only one level of categories at a time, it would block less off the player's view of the world, which is a good trade for the longer time it takes to browse through multiple levels of categories.
Message 2 of 12 (454 Views)

★ Expert

I have a solution too, but it's a bit quicker than yours. I think.

You set up hop-up requests/defaults pre-game in your options. Something like:

For TURBOCHARGER ask for HAVOC or DEVOTION.

For 4x-8x SCOPE ask for TRIPLE TAKE or LONGBOW.

Then, in game, if you 'ping button' the item and it's in your inventory BUT not attached to a weapon, then your character will ask for the weapon(s) you've specifed.

They wouldn't even need the voice actors to record new lines as all weapons are already voiced, as is "I need a".

Message 3 of 12 (449 Views)

★★★ Expert
@EdwardDLuffy But for 4x-8x scope there are 4 options . Maybe it should say "I need a sniper rifle for my sniper scope Standard smile.

Also, pinging lower zoom optics would become an issue, as they work on all weapons.
Message 4 of 12 (439 Views)

★ Expert
@EdwardDLuffy I thought you were gonna complain about * loot distribution and I was gonna say me too...
Message 5 of 12 (418 Views)

★ Expert
@DoYaSeeMe Yeah, you have to make choices via the options based on personal preferences. I carry a sniper or G7 as my secondary, but if I get a 4x-8x scope I don't go hunting for a Charge Rifle or a Sentinel. I will pick one up but if I find a Longbow or TT it's swapsie time.

A 2x-4x or 3x means I am hunting for a TT or a G7, nothing else in particular.

Any other scope I don't hunt for a particular weapon to put them on, so I wouldn't ping them.
Message 6 of 12 (412 Views)

★★★ Expert
@EdwardDLuffy To set up preferences, you would also need specific UI, which can be more difficult to implement than my suggestion Standard smile
Message 7 of 12 (409 Views)

★ Expert
@DoYaSeeMe It will be same way you already set up preferences, such as specific ADS settings on specific scopes. You can only change them when not in a game.
Message 8 of 12 (403 Views)

Champion

Another option that already exists with no redesign of game features is using a microphone to tell people what items you are looking for. 

Message 9 of 12 (398 Views)

★★★ Expert
@hayhor ...and wake up my girls at 2 a.m..
Message 10 of 12 (388 Views)