Re: I play HOTAS bc it's fun, not cuz I'm good at it... and PVP is destroying me

by Filed_Teeth

Original Post

I play HOTAS bc it's fun, not cuz I'm good at it... and PVP is destroying me

★★★ Novice

Better Matchmaking, Please. More server filters.

1. Can we have Hotas-only servers? 
  2. Can we have Zero-HUD servers? bc I prefer the immersion, and I know that makes me a worse player. 

Whenever I play with a controller, I get far better results, but that's not why I invested in a more immersive controller.

Message 1 of 13 (1,119 Views)

Re: I play HOTAS bc it's fun, not cuz I'm good at it... and PVP is destroying me

★★ Apprentice
@SuperJOUST I don't like to say git gud but Im afraid it is the only way to counter your problem. I mean some ppl that play with stick and keybord or hotas are allready stomping others no matter what controls they use. Hotas is not inferior control method in this game its more about what you are familiar with. Being good with stick as a controller needs practice not only in this game but in general. You most likely get better results with controller becouse you are familiar with it. If there were hotas only game mode you as a beginer hotas user would still get stomped. Zero hud mode would be cool tho.
Message 2 of 13 (1,052 Views)

★ Guide

Heh, I actually feel really bad for the controller and keyboard players versus my HOTAS+pedals. I haven't tried mouse+keyboard, but I did try PS4 controller and man was I screwed compared to using my HOTAS. So, maybe it's the controller people who should be asking for this. ;-)

In all seriousness though, anything that fractures the player-base is maybe not an ideal choice, just because as people start to drop off, queuing will start taking longer... and if there are more filters, it might really end up rough in that respect.

Regarding instruments-only, I actually asked for the same thing pre-launch (no answer). But yesterday I was testing out instruments only and I actually prefer it for now. Using the dashboard instruments only gave me some information I found useful that I previously was ignoring. Was flying support, and here are some things I liked about the dash instruments versus the various HUD markers floating around the border of the screen:

1. Easily see distance of targeted craft right as you're cycling (rather than needing to move your eyes around the various target-tracking that is racing around the screen in normal mode). This allowed easy prioritization of teammates to heal or enemy bombers to mark, etc.

2. In the positional tracking display, you can easily see where your flagship is relative to you, regardless of your location or angle; this made finding it for heading back to respawn when my health or ordnance were low.

3. In the positional tracking, combined with the distance in the target tracker, you've got a reasonable "overhead" of the situation (with practice in parsing it). Again, as a support craft, this was very useful.

Obviously all that stuff is also on those same instruments in full HUD mode, so I may go back at some point once I've formed the good habits from instruments-only, but honestly I may stick with instruments only. I was very surprised not to feel completely overwhelmed and handicapped by it. So, if you haven't tried it in multiplayer, definitely give it a go!

Message 3 of 13 (1,025 Views)

★★★ Novice

I've played a little with controller (Dualshock 4), but I prefer the HOTAS (T-Flight 4) because the layout just feels more natural to me and I find it easier to manage the throttle than with the thumb-stick.

I even tried completely remapping the controller to be more like what I was used to playing HAWX and other flying games (with throttle on the L2-R2 triggers), and while it helped, I still think the flight-stick works better, at least for me.

Message 4 of 13 (997 Views)

★ Guide
@SuperJOUST just played 3 matches... got murdered every single game.

In my HOTAS i just cannot line up a shot and keep it there EVEN when the target isn't zagging.

Others in the kill cam line me up and just plow into me despite zigzagging and crap.

Game is starting to not be fun. I can't inflict enough damage, when i do, their ships are absorbing like crazy, and my TIE int just shatters when you sneeze on it.

I don't know what else to do. I don't want to not play HOTAS but somethings gotta give. Everyone else is just having too easy a time while i still cannot manage basic aiming.
Message 5 of 13 (975 Views)

★★ Apprentice

You are likely overcorrecting, I had the same problem when global deadzones were added and I reduced them to 0%. Try adding 10% deadzone again and see how you do.

Message 6 of 13 (954 Views)

★★ Guide

You should look to adjust the dead zones and sensitivity on the flight stick via the in game controls. For me this made a huge difference.

MercenarySW

Squadrons - TAW Seal.png

Message 7 of 13 (930 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@SuperJOUST wrote:

Better Matchmaking, Please. More server filters.

1. Can we have Hotas-only servers? 
  2. Can we have Zero-HUD servers? bc I prefer the immersion, and I know that makes me a worse player. 

Whenever I play with a controller, I get far better results, but that's not why I invested in a more immersive controller.

I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage using HOTAS, rather the opposite. I started playing the game in VR and using my Thrustmaster stick from the very beginning (in instrument mode for immersion's sake) and after a steep learning curve, I start feeling like I am really in full control of my ship. I got a separate throttle leaver that allows me to map power/shield distribution to the rudder paddles plus rests automatically at optimum turning speed without requiring to listen for audio confirmation.

Sure I'm getting my * handed to me in some rounds, but that's mostly due to better teamplay on the enemy's side than any technical disadvantage that I could perceive.

Message 8 of 13 (928 Views)

★ Guide
@H_Lecter I fly HOTAS and instrument only myself. Glad I'm not the only who is willing to get banged around a bit more for the immersion!

Some game I beast, others I get slammed, but it's all right with me, having a blast.
Message 9 of 13 (894 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@Filed_Teeth wrote:
@H_LecterI fly HOTAS and instrument only myself. Glad I'm not the only who is willing to get banged around a bit more for the immersion!

Some game I beast, others I get slammed, but it's all right with me, having a blast.

Let's squad up then! MAJOR_H8R on PSN. H_Lecter on EA Games 

Had some awesome dogfights today. Best was 16/2. Would love more reliable mates online for fleet battles. 

Message 10 of 13 (880 Views)