Re: I only hear negative voices now around Apex…

by dSKyNafinchin

Original Post

★★★ Expert

Complaining and negativity is good.

Seriously, first off, nobody needs a giant head.  But second, whether it is complaining or accolade, it's just a matter of being useful, and negativity, I hate to say, is generally a lot more useful.

If someone wants to go on with telling Respawn what's good about their game and why, that's not just positive, it's useful.  Saying, "I think your R-301 is perfectly balanced (likely because it is the gun all the other guns are balance off of but moving on), then that's good.  Or that Mad Maggie's abilities are interesting and fun to play with, even if they might need a little tweaking and how, these things are useful. "I think your game is the best ever!" is nice, and a lot less useful.

However, there is everything right and nothing wrong with saying, "Your ranked scoring system is terrible, and it's terrible because it encourages people to work less as a team, and is less fun, even though you say your goal is to make people work more as a team."  That's negative and absolutely needing to be said. And WAY better than, "Nuh, I think it's AWESOME!"

I get on this because, sure, positivity is great.  But useful is even better.  And there is nothing wrong with useful negativity, which is how things get better.  Besides, no, it's not a customer's job to be a certain way, except if they want to be. On the other hand, a company producing a product, they should always want to do better.

Is what I'm saying positive or negative? You decide :P

Message 11 of 55 (488 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@LaughingSharko I do agree too mate, lots of things should have been done differently or better, and a lot if the noise completely justified but it just feels like the last few months have been just a bot too much and some of the complaining is a bit ridiculous and seems like complaining just for the sake of complaining.

Steam charts are only part of the story but Apex currently still just above WZ2 on there. For a game that’s almost 4 years old it’s doing alright. 

Does it need work? Yup. Need freshening up? Also yup. Respawn need to prioritise tasks better? Also yup, yup!. But I just think it also needs a bit of  a break from the “extra” that some folk seem to just pile on for the sake of it.

The good, constructive noise that some people are making is a lot harder to find and listen to when it’s smooshed into the larger pile of nonsense from those just hating for hating’s sake.

Oh, and the voices? Yeahhh…that’s just normal. Right? Raised eyebrow

Message 12 of 55 (487 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@ChemicalRelayThen you should understand more than anyone as to why the last few months have been mostly negative. Where’s the Wintertide trailer at as far as dislikes, is it 42k now? I mean doesn’t that say something about how the community feels right now?

I’m certainly not going to come on here and preach how good Apex is at the moment, and if that makes me a miserable person, cause that’s what members and CM’s are insinuating, then so be it. I’m not a hypocrite.

You mentioned content creators, i’m the kinda guy that prefers watching down to earth guys, Jankz, Itemp, Stay….and tbh, all of them have complained recently when it comes to Apex, why, cause we care. I don’t watch creators like Aceu squad wipe as a solo, only to leave seconds later cause well, the SBMM is all screwed up.

Message 13 of 55 (482 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@Kyldenar Another great reply, another brilliant perspective. Love that.

And matchmaking? If there had to be one thing that absolutely deserved some complaining - it would have to be that for me too. And for the same reason with the unbalanced lobbies. Being absolutely * on by Master and Pred 3 stacks in lower ranks is no fun at all. It’s painful.

I also really hope that the touted upcoming single player content/game mode/game (whatever it is) comes to fruition for players like yourself who love more of a solo/campaign/story driven experience.

Message 14 of 55 (468 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@KelRiever If your reply was simply “complaining and negativity is good” then I’d be extremely worried. 

Criticism can be good.

And the points you make I agree with. I think for someone to just ignore the problems and say the game is “just awesome” and without flaws would be just as ridiculous, even more ridiculous.

Things don’t need to be absolutely “one thing or the other”. That’s exactly what I find wrong with it all. It’s exactly what’s wrong. Not just with Apex but with everything it seems.

Not everything is “this or that”. This is why no one can agree and no one ever seems to get it right. How can you achieve balance when in the eyes of those looking on it’s either one thing or another? We can’t have everything we want. For that to ever be possible Respawn would need to make a different version of the game for each individual player based on their own personal requirements. 

I think Apex has a lot to work on. But I hate seeing that EVERYTHING is a complaint. 

There are some that complain for one thing while others complain against the same thing. And won’t settle for anything but getting EXACTLY what they want.

The game needs to be balanced so players should expect that this means they can’t have everything.

Great reply though and it gives food for thought and while I agree that things need to be fixed, I don’t agree that “complaining and negativity is good” because they are by their very own definition negative. They are “necessary” to some degree but without balance or consideration of other views they are nothing but problematic and detrimental to achieving what everyone would like to achieving something better.

Message 15 of 55 (445 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@Gabrielmojo26 This is exactly my point fella. I’’ not coming here preaching it’s good either.

I don’t think I’ve even alluded to that being the case once. I think at some point in one of these replies/posts I said “we’re all still playing so there myst be something in that” but I’ve not once tried to make out “everything is awesome”.

My original post is the amount of constant negativity and in particular the negative stuff that it seems some people have to almost “make-up” just to be able to find something newly negative to deliver. 

Criticism where due is great, and it’s due. All the “extra” is no help to anyone for anything.

Message 16 of 55 (436 Views)

★★★ Expert

@ChemicalRelay By the way, I do think the character abilities they've recently designed are pretty good, as ideas and the way they play, besides balance.  I have more concern over old characters being left behind and older characters like Seer (ahem) that remove the fun from the game.  But the designs from Mad Maggie and on are solid.  Castle stuff a little on the boring side but still way better than stuff before Maggie.

I like Valks kit too...it's just OP :D

Message 17 of 55 (417 Views)

★ Expert
@ChemicalRelay No offense, but why now, why come here and ‘complain’ about people complaining, when you’ve been on here since 2016? Why only now that the community has had enough, are you trynna white knight the situation?

Dude, recolors, recolors at a premium price, and inflated bundles, that’s what we’re calling an event now. Sorry, but that, is a huge slap in the face. You can turn a blind eye if you want, but these actions are what spark negativity.

We all know the issues by now, we’ve been asking for a while for fixes, ltms, and the list goes on, and what do we get, a paywall of recolors lol

There’s a difference between a good structured game doing well, all the while having a smaller audience complaining, this isn’t the case with Apex right now.
Message 18 of 55 (413 Views)

★★ Expert
@KelRiever Valk still needs to have the Recon traits removed (she's an Attacker) and the scan on drop removed. Then she'd be fine. Same risk on her Ult as anyone using a jump tower. Not sure if the landing area will be safe.
Message 19 of 55 (410 Views)

Champion
@ChemicalRelay I haven't read through the whole thread (not calling anyone out, if I touch on anything that's been mentioned already), but for me, I just don't really pay attention to it, by default. I don't watch/follow streamers or content creators, and barely use any social media. On my end, I have had very few issues with Apex since launch, but I know there are a lot of variables. I've been playing since launch

Discussion/constructive criticism is a good thing, but I feel where you're coming from, about it being annoying when it is excessive. In my opinion, if something is so miserable that all you can do is complain about it, why in the world would you continue to subject yourself to that? I definitely would not. I stopped playing CoD games several years ago, and never will play them again. Doesn't bother me one bit, and I played from the OG titles, up through Black Ops 3!

Connection: I've never had connection issues. I run hardwired 200mbps internet. Nothing special at all. I can't even remember the last time I disconnected randomly, or had a super laggy match. I play on the central US server (Dallas), and have always had a great connection, with incredibly short queue times. My longest queue times are for the Firing Range, which has always confused me. It's usually 30-45 seconds for me

Audio: I use the cheapest set of Turtle Beaches on the market, and don't have the audio issues I constantly hear about, so I have no idea. Pretty much the only time I can't hear enemy footsteps, is when I'm actively shooting or using an ability, which makes perfect sense to me

Matchmaking: Legitimately my biggest complaint about Apex Legends, and the reason I don't even bother with ranked. I'm decent at games, but there's absolutely no reason I should EVER be in the same lobby as anyone that has ever reached Master/Pred tier

Event/store/paywall: Doesn't effect me, because I don't buy stuff from it. I've spent less than $60 on this game since launch. I don't care about the event items or store items, because I'm not interested in buying them. It's not a "paywall" to me, because I don't have to buy cosmetics to play the game or enjoy the game. Do I wish stuff was cheaper? Sure. Would I actually spend some money on here if it were cheaper? Probably. Will that keep me from enjoying the game? Not in the slightest

3rd party: Like you said, it's literally just part of BR, or part of any game mode with more than 2 total teams. Free-for-all is pretty much 100% 3rd parties

What do I like about Apex?: Main things would be the movement, ping system, gunplay and shield system. As well as just the "feel" of the game, which is subjective to the user. Every other BR I've played, just feels clunky and slow to me.

What do I dislike about Apex?: Biggest thing for me, would be matchmaking, as mentioned above. Seeing the people that I get put into lobbies with, absolutely blows my mind!! I also am not really a fan of the wildlife on the maps. The Prowlers, in particular, are pretty annoying. Oh, and solo-queueing, Lol. When my two close friends are on with me, we always have a blast, and can hang with most teams we come across. When I'm solo though, I get the absolute worst randoms. I'm not good enough to carry 2 people in my tiny little backpack. That space is reserved for snacks

What would I like to see added to Apex?: There are several small QoL things that I would love to see implemented, as with any video game I play. They are minute changes though, and not important enough for me to try to remember and list them all. My main request though, is for changes to the matchmaking. If they can get it to where I'm not in lobbies with Master/Pred players, I would be absolutely ecstatic!!!! I always enjoy playing people a little above my skill level, but going against Master/Pred players is quite a bit beyond that. I also don't want new players in my lobbies (unless they implemented some sort of newbie pubs mode, where veteran players can queue up to help teach newer players the ropes. I would do that). Getting brand new players on my team, legitimately wastes my time, and time is the most valuable resource there is

Obviously I can't speak for anyone else's experience. That is just my perspective, based on mine. The issues that I have had with Apex over the years, have all been minor. I haven't had any game-breaking issues since launch. I still have fun playing Apex most days. Apex isn't the only game I play though, which helps tremendously.

TL;DR.. I still enjoy Apex, having played since launch. I don't care about the opinions of streamers/content creators. I've had minor issues with Apex on my end, but main issue is simply matchmaking. Some day, I will get tired of Apex and move on. Today is not that day though.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

"Play me online? Well, you know that I'll beat you.
If I ever meet you, I'll control-alt-delete you!"
Message 20 of 55 (363 Views)