Re: I may have a solution to 3rd party spam!

by SixthOTD

Original Post

I may have a solution to 3rd party spam!

★ Apprentice

So here was our thought process (a friend and I last night). TL:DR at the bottom.

We were trying to see if there was a way to stave off 3rd partying a little bit, because it's been kind of an issue. It seems whomever shoots first is the team to die because they end up getting pinched by two or three squads.

We noticed it was a problem because the ttk was so high in this game, but we honestly enjoy the high ttk. It's more forgiving. You can make a mistake or two and not die instantaneously, but because of the high ttk, most people don't want to fight until someone else does, then they can just swoop in and clean up because it's EASY loot. I mean, I do it too, to an extent.

We thought about getting a full restore to health and shields, but I thought that was just a BIT over powered because then if you were in the middle of a fight three way fight, and you finish one squad and light the other, it's over for that 3rd squad. You could just steamroll everyone.

So I thought, what if it was JUST shields? You would still die to the zone if you fought out there, caustic could still come along and throw gas on you, ESPECIALLY outside the zone, and if one member were to run away, you wouldn't get those shields back. BUT you would still have a fighting chance against a 3rd party without being overpowered. Another thing to note, if it was JUST shields, you would get back your white, or blue, or purple. It's not like 100 health instantly. Not to mention, healing vs. shielding is a tad slower. If you want that health back, you are still vulnerable for the duration of that heal.

"So why not just pick up the dead team's body shield? That's already a mechanic." Honestly a good point, but you are so susceptible to a 3rd party while looting, assuming you even have time to make it to that deathbox in the first place. 

Why not take out the mechanic of refilling box shields? It would force you to make a choice of, "Do I want to keep my full white/blue shield, or risk looking for an empty purple/gold and take the time to refill them?"

I think, overall, it would be a good thing for this game and reward good players a bit more for taking aggression, instead of lurking in the shadows for an easy kill.

TL:DR: Automatic refill of of your current shield upon killing the enemy squad to protect against 3rd parties.

Message 1 of 8 (405 Views)

★ Apprentice

Lemme know what you think and what you would tweak. I'd love to hear it.

Message 2 of 8 (402 Views)

★ Guide

I'm not sure I like the idea too much. I know getting 3rd partied can be frustrating sometimes but I feel like that's just how it goes. And depending on how well looted the other squads are it can be high risk/ high reward. I think it should stay how it is and people will need to have a bit more situational awareness.  

Message 3 of 8 (382 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Refilling health and/or shields when killing someone (or a entire squad) would be a nice addition as a temporary game mode (weekend or so).

Low health-players might try to kill somebody in order to get into the game again, could be interesting.

Message 4 of 8 (349 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@OG_RavenScout If you engage from a tactical position, you can limit the chances of being third partied.

I played with some squads last night who, through positing didn't get third partied once. We were never in the open and always had our back covered.

I played some more games with different players who then want to engage everybody they see regardless of where they are. Beeline to the fire fight, then get pinched by a third and fourth team.

Just position yourself correctly and third partying isn't a big issue. Certainly don't think the game needs any changes. The players are the ones who need to work it out, not have the game changed to help with their short comings.

Message 5 of 8 (341 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I mean, yeah positioning is key, of course. The thing is, when a second squad shows up, then a third, then a fourth, fifth and sixth, it gets a bit frustrating. Sometimes it just seems like no matter what you do to take percautions, you will eventually get worn down. 

I totally get what your saying though. I have been woth plenty of people who just charge in head first, then womder why they get pinched. Then complain about getting third partied.

However, you could take an amazing vantage point, and still get run up on, shot, and worn down to the point where one squad can come out of the shadows for an easy finish.

It's just a tough topic to work with. Theres no easy answer, but voicing your ideas is the only way to change anything.

Message 6 of 8 (328 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@Cpl_McAssBlaster Thing is, you can never eliminate third partying completely. It's just part n parcel of the game. Weigh up risk/reward.

A boost of health or shield on kill isn't needed and wouldn't work imo. Gun fights would last even longer and ammo would start becoming an issue. It'd open up more issues than it solves imo.

Third partying is here to stay. It's how you deal with it which is the solution your looking for. You need to kill quickly and efficiently. Take to long about it....... get shot in the back.

Message 7 of 8 (318 Views)

★★★★ Guide

3rd partying is not an issue, it's a good strategy. 

Message 8 of 8 (295 Views)