I made an LFG tool for Apex Legends

by Eleo

Original Post

I made an LFG tool for Apex Legends

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

It's an LFG tool, but I like to think of it more along the lines of "offline matchmaking". The general idea: you want to find people who play the game the way you do. Based on a handful of criteria, available players are sorted by a calculated compatibility score. This takes into account factors like geographic distance, play style, and which legends you main (if any). It's a fairly rudimentary tool right now but I hope to make it into a more robust team-building tool over time. As well as add support for other team-based games. To do that I need you!

You can sign up with as little as just your email address, and fill out as little or as much information in your profile as you like, just keep in mind this will affect results. I'm very open to feedback and suggestions in this thread or at admin@squall.network.

screenshot

(Removed the link) - Atic

Message 1 of 16 (865 Views)

Re: I made an LFG tool for Apex Legends

★★ Pro

Signing up now! This is a great idea!

Message 2 of 16 (851 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi thanks for the compliment! It's very encouraging.

Message 3 of 16 (843 Views)

★★★ Expert

Oh that's pretty cool, is it only for US servers or global?

Pretty refreshing post in between of all the "respawns fault bla bla bla, no matchmaking bla bla bla" posts.

Kuddo's

Message 4 of 16 (810 Views)

★ Apprentice
It's open to anyone in the world.

Right now the compatibility score goes down depending on how great of a physical distance is between you and another player. Location is estimated based on IP address at the moment (I realize this is a flawed implementation for people with VPNs/proxies, so I apologize for inaccuracies).

I hope to add support for selecting one's spoken language as a matchmaking criteria to better support players around the world.
Message 5 of 16 (797 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team
Hello @Eleo,

A great initiative to set up an LFG system and while the idea is good, asking for personal information (such as email and user names) is no go on our forums, I have removed the link for above.

You can make a topic in the LFG section if you want to team up with players. 

/Atic 
Message 6 of 16 (755 Views)

★ Apprentice

Earlier today you participated in a thread regarding "bf4stats.com" ("bf4stats.com" is literally in the thread's subject) which is a site that asks for the same "personal information" like email address and usernames in order to sign up. You didn't remove the URL and you didn't mention anything about rules regarding email addresses. Selectively applying rules makes me feel like I've been singled out. Do you not like that I've made this site or tried to tackle this problem? I would never have made this threads if I hadn't seen other threads that also linked to fan sites/apps as a precedent. Are we allowed to link to fan-sites with registration/signup functionality or not?

Message 7 of 16 (673 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@EleoThe difference is that bf4stats.com contains a public database of player stats whereas your "LFG tool" requires sign up.

Message 8 of 16 (663 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

So I can collect the same information that I was told I'm not allowed to collect, as long as I meet the requirement that people who haven't signed up can anonymously browse the information of the people who have? That's the reasoning here? So that even more people can see more of the information I'm supposedly not allowed to collect? I could have an update like that pushed up in hours.

Can someone tell me what the real, actual rules are? Or is it just based on whether or not tptb are having a good or bad day at the time? I wasn't told "sign up must be optional and not required" I was told "you cannot ask for email addresses" which are two very different things.

Message 9 of 16 (608 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@EleoActually, I don't see how sign-up is different to the other reason given when the sign-up requires email. Sign-up is the act of joining, enlisting or enrolling/being enrolled into something.

Message 10 of 16 (589 Views)