Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: I did the tests and math - Damage modifiers for spells

by Zemerick

Original Post

I did the tests and math - Damage modifiers for spells

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I did not test weapon(gun) damage.  Im playing a spec that doesn't use guns and I wanted to get the most out of it, but the math wasn't adding up.  So after dozens of loading screens and constant switching of components and gear with inscriptions and many, many calculations.... I learned something and just wanted to share.

I used burning orb for testing.  

> Its non charged version does the base damage it shows.

> Its charged version does ~208% of the base damage.  

> Burning Orbs non charged version does not count as impact or as blast.

> The charged version counts as blast.

> I used these damage modifiers in many different ways to test interactions (+elemental dmg %, +gear dmg %, +dmg %, +fire dmg %)

> + [E] dmg% seems to be broken.  None of my numbers changed when I tested with [E] Dmg% and I did multiple tests with different gear to make sure.

Heres what I found (and I wont bore you with the math)

> All damage %, from your components to your inscriptions, are only calculated from the base damage and then added together.  

> The one thing that ignores this is the mob type and its innate damage modifier.  (Armored mobs, for example, take +50% from fire attacks, and its 50% of your final number, not the base!)

> All the components epic or lower state base damage.  Masterworks, for some reason, lost the text "base damage".  Its not a direct upgrade in that regard, it still uses only the base damage.

> Orange text only uses base damage for its increased (or in 1 case, decreased) damage %.

> Javelin icon gear that adds damage %, only adds a % from the base damage.  Fire, elemental, gear, dmg, and I would assume if it was working, +[E] would as well.

> weapons that are equipped but aren't the one you are currently active with (your off hand) will still provide their inscription bonus if its a javelin icon, but not its masterwork property.

So you want an example of calculating damage % off of base damage?

Burning Orb Damage = 1072 non charge and 2230 charged. (remember its x2.08)

Lets say I have 50% gear damage and 35% elemental damage.

1072 + 1072(.50) + 1072(.35) = 1983 for non charge.    1983 x 2.08 = 4125 if charged.

I think they call this additive and not multiplicative.  Which is kind of a bummer because the same numbers in a multiplicative formula would be 1072(1.35)(1.5)=2170.8  2170.8(2.08)-4515.26.   so it only goes higher and higher in the multiplicative formula.  but they didn't use that for Anthem, except the mob innate abilities.    

There may be many things I missed, but these are the results that I have accumulated for Burning Orb.  

Message 1 of 10 (608 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Nice thank you for all the time and effort you put into this hopefully it  will help clear up some of the madness hehe Standard smile

Message 2 of 10 (571 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Imagine the person who did that Devestator shot 1.2m can do with multiplicative system. He'd be hitting way higher lol

Message 3 of 10 (531 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I would assume that weapon damage and gun damage would also use the base damage to modify from. But I wonder how Crits  and weak point damage calculate into that? )

(are or aren’t those the same thing, also?)

Message 4 of 10 (491 Views)

★ Guide

you sure the [E]%dmg is broken?...didnt seem to me that way. though id actually be glad, could swap for some better overall gear. will test it

Message 5 of 10 (465 Views)

★ Guide

cannot confirm, [E] dmg% work on my end

Message 6 of 10 (452 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Just went back in with Burning Orb and 30% E damage.

kept getting the same 1072 on most hits.  Every now and then (id say less than 5-10%) it would do 1394, which is 1072x1.3.   But it wasn't consistent.  Last night when I was testing an 8% E damage buff, I kept getting fluctuations of 80ish damage which leads me to believe that at least with the skill Burning Orb, the E % damage is bugged or not working as intended.

I did see on a reddit thread that there were known bugs for modifiers not working.  

Message 7 of 10 (412 Views)

★ Guide

what did you test it on?...i just used the plants since those are consistent. i had 41% left on my gear from [e]%dmg...gave me around 700 dmg at full charge

Message 8 of 10 (395 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I was just opening solo contracts on easy and testing with whatever the groups of mobs it provided.  Id kill different mob types that spawned to make sure I wasn't fighting things with increased fire damage taken or reduced fire damage taken.  

In the 30% case I did earlier today, it was bugs.

Message 9 of 10 (386 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

Note, a simpler way to do the math is to just add the percentages together, add 1, then multiply:

1072 ( 1 + 0.5 + 0.35 )

I have also had some issues with +E dmg not affecting Ten Thousand Suns.

Message 10 of 10 (351 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help