Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: I Enjoyed the New Stronghold

by PhantexGaming

Original Post

I Enjoyed the New Stronghold

★★★★ Novice

I stopped playing this game several weeks ago. After reading all of the underlying mumors that the game got worse and the new boss was just a repurposed existing enemy,I decided to revisit the game. To my surprise, the game has resolved the majority of my issues that I have had before that caused me to stop. The new stronghold looks and plays great and the boss fight was more interesting than any others. I look forward to more content and possibly some mini challenges that utilize flight in the free roam areas.

Message 1 of 9 (287 Views)

Champion

@geniusprime wrote:

I stopped playing this game several weeks ago. After reading all of the underlying mumors that the game got worse and the new boss was just a repurposed existing enemy,I decided to revisit the game. To my surprise, the game has resolved the majority of my issues that I have had before that caused me to stop. The new stronghold looks and plays great and the boss fight was more interesting than any others. I look forward to more content and possibly some mini challenges that utilize flight in the free roam areas.

Good to hear the majority of your issues have been fixed!

I love the new stronghold's atmosphere. To me, it feels completely different from the others.

I like the idea of flight challenges and hope the devs will come up with a bit more variety there. 

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 2 of 9 (269 Views)

★ Pro

I enjoy the new stronghold as well, it has a decent mix of things and looks great at the end.

The boss is a little meh to be honest, and I wish they would really get more creative on the end bosses.

Message 3 of 9 (264 Views)

Champion

As someone who finally got around to playing through the Sunken Cell yesterday, just wanted to say that overall, I enjoyed it too. The location is really cool and atmospheric, and was fun to explore. The end boss kinda made sense in the context of the story. I mean, if I understood correctly, the lab was basically where they developed the means of creating the Furies, and the end boss was a “prototype.” For me at least, it’s less important that the boss wasn’t some totally new enemy type, than it was to see that it fit with the lore presented so far. That said, definitely hoping we’ll have more enemy and boss types eventually.

However, as someone who was doing the stronghold by myself, I do want to point out that the puzzles were really annoying to solo. I mean, I do like the idea of puzzles, and I get that you’re supposed to solve them with a team, but they’re barely possible to do by yourself at all. The seven rods part gives one person a fraction of a second of leeway, and the infinite Frost Brute spam at the disk puzzles, three times in a row, is just total K.S. Especially since, for some reason, they can freeze you through your shield. Especially since status effects on the player are still kinda buggy, and it’s doubly annoying to get frozen when it results in rubberbanding back and forth.

I mean, I realize that I’m complaining that it’s difficult to solo after specifically going out of my way to play through it solo (I queued on Normal during off-peak hours), but... I was trying to play through it solo because I didn’t want my first playthrough to be rushed by people who’ve already done it several times. However, through most of the playthrough, I kept wondering if it was designed to be possible to solo at all, and half expected that after taking half an hour to beat the disks puzzle I would run into something that would require four people to stand on four different plates, or press buttons in four different corners of the room or whatever. It was not a fun feeling.

Finally, it was somewhat awkward to have to swim straight up through a narrow tube when the game engine clearly doesn’t approve of looking straight up as a concept. Not a gamebreaking issue, but something to maybe consider avoiding in the future, if possible.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 4 of 9 (186 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@cake404 wrote:

As someone who finally got around to playing through the Sunken Cell yesterday, just wanted to say that overall, I enjoyed it too. The location is really cool and atmospheric, and was fun to explore. The end boss kinda made sense in the context of the story. I mean, if I understood correctly, the lab was basically where they developed the means of creating the Furies, and the end boss was a “prototype.” For me at least, it’s less important that the boss wasn’t some totally new enemy type, than it was to see that it fit with the lore presented so far. That said, definitely hoping we’ll have more enemy and boss types eventually.

However, as someone who was doing the stronghold by myself, I do want to point out that the puzzles were really annoying to solo. I mean, I do like the idea of puzzles, and I get that you’re supposed to solve them with a team, but they’re barely possible to do by yourself at all. The seven rods part gives one person a fraction of a second of leeway, and the infinite Frost Brute spam at the disk puzzles, three times in a row, is just total K.S. Especially since, for some reason, they can freeze you through your shield. Especially since status effects on the player are still kinda buggy, and it’s doubly annoying to get frozen when it results in rubberbanding back and forth.

I mean, I realize that I’m complaining that it’s difficult to solo after specifically going out of my way to play through it solo (I queued on Normal during off-peak hours), but... I was trying to play through it solo because I didn’t want my first playthrough to be rushed by people who’ve already done it several times. However, through most of the playthrough, I kept wondering if it was designed to be possible to solo at all, and half expected that after taking half an hour to beat the disks puzzle I would run into something that would require four people to stand on four different plates, or press buttons in four different corners of the room or whatever. It was not a fun feeling.

Finally, it was somewhat awkward to have to swim straight up through a narrow tube when the game engine clearly doesn’t approve of looking straight up as a concept. Not a gamebreaking issue, but something to maybe consider avoiding in the future, if possible.

Doesn't the fact that you were doing it solo bother you though?  I mean, this game is literally build on 4 player co-op except for freeplay...

Message 5 of 9 (163 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

I tried to play it on GM 1... i was alone EVERY TIME i qued for it... so i gave up and logged out.

Message 6 of 9 (153 Views)

★ Guide

i just do GM1 mainly as Gm2 you are often on your own and get no extra items doing it solo. its not like you get extra XP you can use etc. it just takes you much longer to do something. it can be a good challenge but its mainly a ball ache

Message 7 of 9 (122 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I like the new stronghold as well. The Boss is more of a challenge.

but... it’s not one I’d do solo, and very, very few/no other people seem to be playing it.

Message 8 of 9 (112 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@EfilsGod wrote:

Doesn't the fact that you were doing it solo bother you though?  I mean, this game is literally build on 4 player co-op except for freeplay...

I don’t expect every mission to instantly match me with a full group at every difficulty. It doesn’t bother me because I like the option to play through new content by myself, without being rushed by people who are just there for the loot. I specifically picked the time and the difficulty that I anticipated to be the least likely to match me with anyone else.

The fact that it seems to be less popular even on GM difficulties is disappointing, but for me it’s a disappointment in the playerbase, not the content. The only thing most people seem to care about is loot, and as long as that’s true, HoR will likely remain the most popular stronghold to grind, unless they keep adding ones that are even shorter.

But for me, it’s good to have the option to play through a stronghold that offers a different experience, by myself or with friends who have similar preferences. I like having options.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 9 of 9 (102 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help