Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: How to enable Text Chat!

by Loki_Deezie

Original Post

How to enable Text Chat!

★ Pro

I keep seeing so many posts recently that keep stating there is no Text chat etc.

Well until the latest Update, you're right, there wasn't, and I've not seen a lot of posts/info on how to enable it.

and before you post about the issue of it's current state, Yes, if you use your emote in game they will cover the Text Chat.

Found this on Youtube and you may want to watch the full video if you want a good critical opinion on Anthems latest update, but for the sake of everyone constantly complain there is no chat I chose to jump to the part of the video where it shows you how to enable it.

Message 1 of 13 (372 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Enable Speech to Text and Text to Speech in the Accessibility menu. In game hit Enter and type away. Haven't actually tried speech to text.

This is the best QoL improvement since game launch. Hand down.

Message 2 of 13 (322 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Guide

But people seem to only care about loot. This will get swept under the rug along with being able to swap loadouts mid mission and the other qol changes.

Unfortunate 

Message 3 of 13 (319 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I already have mine enabled, but there in lies the rub, with having to enable the feature many will never even notice that it's there.

Message 4 of 13 (299 Views)

★ Pro

Yeah, it's sad really.

I guess they are just going to rely on what few content providers via Youtube etc or sites like Reddit to explain how to enable and use it.

Message 5 of 13 (293 Views)

★★★★ Novice

bumping this cuz its great new feature that i didnt know about and i just enabled it awsome ty

Message 6 of 13 (262 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Is this available on Consoles?

Message 7 of 13 (248 Views)

Champion

@MaireDevylin wrote:

Enable Speech to Text and Text to Speech in the Accessibility menu. In game hit Enter and type away. Haven't actually tried speech to text.

I’m kinda confused... why do I have to enable TTS and STT for basic text chat to work? I don’t want them enabled. I don’t want the game to vocalize everything that’s typed into chat by anyone else. Likewise, I don’t want it to take anything my mic might pick up and put it into chat. It’s great that those features are integrated into the game for those who need them, but I don’t undestand why I’m supposed to have them on to use the chat at all. Unless I’m really misunderstanding something here.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 8 of 13 (197 Views)

Champion

@cake404 wrote:

@MaireDevylin wrote:

I’m kinda confused... why do I have to enable TTS and STT for basic text chat to work? I don’t want them enabled. I don’t want the game to vocalize everything that’s typed into chat by anyone else. Likewise, I don’t want it to take anything my mic might pick up and put it into chat. It’s great that those features are integrated into the game for those who need them, but I don’t undestand why I’m supposed to have them on to use the chat at all. Unless I’m really misunderstanding something here.

After enabling text to speech, I was able to type a text which was then "read" to my squadmates. This was only possible during an ongoing expedition.

Maybe I did something wrong, though.

I hope I'll be able to do some more tests with willing squadmates over the weekend.

Right now I see the new feature as a step in the right direction, while I hope it is only a first step to fulfill the accessibility requirements prior to giving us a "real" chat system.

Does the speech to text work only for English?

*prepares for some funny moments*

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 9 of 13 (191 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

So basically it works by converting text to speech, sending it to everyone as audio, and having it converted back to text on their end as it’s spoken? I mean... that’s... certainly one way to implement a text chat, I suppose...

It still won’t work for me though, since presumably it requires VoIP to be enabled, and I will always keep it disabled in my game. Which is kinda the reason I need text chat to begin with. But I agree that it’s a good first step towards having it in the game (since having this functionality should take care of that whole law that supposedly was the reason there was no text chat in the first place).

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 10 of 13 (179 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help