Re: How to Apex by Marten

by MartenPhilip

Original Post

How to Apex by Marten

★★★ Guide

Due to the increased toxicity and cries for a solo mode I'm here willing to give you some pointers on how to up your game. 

1. Get MIC. the pinging system is an addition to the classic good ol trustworthy mic. not a replacement. 
Giving call outs and constant communications will improve your overall squad performance. 

2. Keep positive, don't rage or flame on your squad this will only demoralize them and yourself to a point of no return 

where everyone's agitated and no longer concentrating at the task at hand. 

3. Revive > loot, this is an often misconception made by many, though looting is tempting it's best to have all of your squad members back on their feet to ensure survival.
4. Sharing is caring, looting everything for yourself leaving your others squad mates empty handed and or under geared will most likely result in a negative outcome for everyone. Your squad members will die easily and you will get overrun and be outnumbered. 

5. Hold your fire, though this is a shooter you're not forced to open fire on every target you see, nor is it your task to hunt down every enemy in the game.
No it's about surviving until the very end, only than you'll be victorious. It's really neat that you managed to get 10, 14 or even 20 kills but if you die in the end you wouldn't have won. It's a survival game not a frag ladder. 

6. Stick to the shadow! stealth is often a great way to last longer during a match stick out of sight and remain calm. 

7. Travel the road favored by few, drop in low populated area's this will ensure that you and your squad will have a higher probability of finding gear. Instead of jumping in on the same location like 5 other squads do where 25 people are fighting over 3 available weapon and 2 stacks of ammo.

8. Leeroy Jenkins, You're not a god, you're not a pro, you're a casual gamer and running off on your own to find gear or challenge opponents is the worst thing you can do. Sure the coat may look clear but there are bound to be enemies around any corner closing in on you. And ranting and screaming "WHY YOU NO HELP ME!" or instantly rage quitting won't improve your skill nor game experience. 

9. Together forever, this game specifically designed for team play so sticking with your team at all times especially in the heat of battle is always pro, the only time you should risk breaking formation is when you're able to out flank your opponents by surprise.

Trust me once you apply these rules to your game set you will start to have an overall better experience. 

As for the rest... 

Legends are all personal preferences people talk about meta's and one being better than the other but they all deal the same damage. 

Bangalore's ult isn't a offensive mechanic it's a means to create space between you and your targets. 
Wraith? invulnerability for 3 seconds big woop. 

None of the utilities provided by any of the legends are a means to up your damage output. 
It's all crowd control nothing more. 

I personally player life-line as the healing drone has saved me and my squad mates hundreds of times. 

So just pick a legend you like and not what others tell you to play. 
They all deal the same damage, just aim for the heads for maximum effect. 

My personal weapon preferences are: 

1. Wingman

2. R-301 / Peacekeeper ( which ever I find first ) 

In case you're wondering I've been placed in the top 3 for over 80 times and I've played a total of 100 matches. 

Good luck! 

Message 1 of 33 (655 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Excellent effort, Marten! Well worth a Friday night read by any aspiring Apex Legend. Nerd

So many really good tips it's hard to pick one over another. But 2, 4, 8 and 9 will get any player a long way.

Well played :eahigh_file:

Message 2 of 33 (645 Views)

★★★ Guide

Sadly i stopped reading after number 1.

Getting a mic is the most useless advice ever... sorry.

It distracts more than it actually helps because of severall reasons:

1. language barrier, different dialects.
  2. no "on point" communication like in military (the only com that could actually be usefull).
  3. too much breathing/background noise.
  4. too many angry wifes/kids/parents.
  5. 90% it gets only used for swearing or being toxic.
  6. you wont hear or barely hear enemy footsteps/actions.
  7. 8, 9.... etc.

My first advice would be to disable mic and chat entirely so you can focus on more important things like "playing the game", "improve your awareness", "learn behavior patterns of your teammates so your teamplay improves", etc...

Message 3 of 33 (635 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Then you never played any team tactical shooters on a higher level.
Ever seen the cs:go league players? They all communicate.

But good to know what your play style is, I just hope I'll never have to play with you xD
Each to his own though. 

Message 4 of 33 (625 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@MjNaiseAre you on console? I don't really come across some of the background sounds that you have.

Message 5 of 33 (622 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@MartenPhilip wrote:
Then you never payed any team tactical shooters on a higher level.
Ever seen the cs:go league players? They all communicate.

But good to know what your play style is, I just hope I'll never have to play with you xD

seems you didn´t.... using csgo as argument proves it.

But atleast now i know where you´re coming from and why you rely heavily on a mic... playing decade old games with pretty basic mechanics (nothing more... not a single special outstanding mechanic).

csgo isn´t even close to be a "tactical" shooter.... it´s just a shooter, nothing more.

You should try to play rainbow6 if you want some real tactics involved.... or any other "modern" shooter because in any of them the soundengine is more effective, precise and faster at telling you enemy locations than any teammate could ever do.

Message 6 of 33 (613 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

It's done in lots and lots of team tactical shooters.
Though it requires social skills and a limited amount of information. ( no constant chit chat ) 
And judging by your condescending reactions its safe to say you're not capable of playing a game using a mic.

Message 7 of 33 (603 Views)

★ Guide
I love playing with a mic but mostly only do it with people I know IRL because chat with randoms can be pretty hit or miss, if they get added to my friends list then I might mic up with them.

With that said mic + ping is definitely the way to go, relying solely on one or the other is certainly less effective but if I had to choose one or the other I'd take the ping.

Background noise/breathing really shouldn't be a problem because if your mic cant be set up well enough to cut it out you should be using PTT (TBH you should be using PTT with randoms anyway IMO).
Message 8 of 33 (598 Views)

★ Guide

LOL go watch ANY apex tourny. The teams with the best communication are typically the teams that win.... 

Can you be successful without chat? Absolutely. But there is zero argument to be made here, using chat WILL improve the teams success. 

Message 9 of 33 (592 Views)

★★★ Guide

@MartenPhilip wrote:
It's done lots and lots of team tactical shooters.
Though it requires social skills and a limited amount of information.
And judging by your condescending reactions its safe to say you're not capable of playing a game using a mic.

you realy should stop all that passive aggressive behavior with your implied insults.

Nothing is about capability (i could say the same about your social skills with your behavior) .... it´s all about effectivity.

every single "modern" game is hundred times more effective at telling you everything you need than any human being ever could.... and you improve your skills a lot more if you increase your awareness instead of relying on Voice of your teammates (which usually are very imprecisely if you haven´t trained together 8-12h a day for months/years like pro teams do).

Message 10 of 33 (585 Views)