How do you rank Storm Point among other maps?

by jokool_aid

Original Post

How do you rank Storm Point among other maps?

★★ Guide

Okay, it's been about a week, so I'd say that's a good amount of time to rank Storm Point among the other maps in the game. So, where do you rank it?

Before I get into a "I hate Storm Point" topic, the TL/DR is that I rank it 4th:

4th Storm Point

3rd Olympus

2nd Kings Canyon

1st World's Edge

But yeah...I officially hate it...literally bottom of the list for me, and that's surprising for me to say given how much I hate Olympus.

The massive size makes it hard to find fights unless you drop where everyone else drops, then it's just a waiting game until everyone appears somewhere in the middle (most of the time around that prowler nest...).

It's so bizarre... I don't know if it's a third party issue (which they said this map would help with...), or if it's just teams randomly getting funneled through the same areas because, despite how big this map is, you're still forced into certain locations depending on where the ring is. I'm always on edge on this map because of how random another team can just appear.

Lack of mobility is another problem for me, which is what they did to hinder third parties I guess, but it just makes the match boring slowly going from one lackluster point to another.

On that subject, the lack of good loot, or any loot, in most locations is just frustrating, plus, all the areas I've come across that look like there should be loot somewhere, and all I can find is maybe a couple supply bins up on the roof of a building that makes it look like you need a Valkyrie or Pathfinder to get to.

And that's another thing, how hard it is to just navigate around some areas, where you're either cut off by massive walls/mountains, or small obstacles are just impossible to climb over (like those long pipes at...I think Barometer?). Plus, the buildings are by far the most confusing layouts I've ever seen. Only other map I've had issues with buildings is Olympus, and those were only minor issues.

And, of course, how can I forget the prowler nests? The new third party of Apex... I wouldn't be as annoyed by them if they weren't located in some critical rotation spots, so you're usually running from the ring and get pounced on by a pack of prowlers, then another team shows up and...I think you get the point.

Call me crazy for my rankings, but there's something I like more about the older maps than the newer ones. Maybe it's because the older maps have/had those drop points everyone goes to (city fragments in World's Edge, Skull Town in old Kings Canyon), so I knew where not to go until I found a good loadout.

World's Edge, especially with newer changes, has a lot of great drops across the map that get virtually untouched with most teams dropping towards the middle of the map. It also has a nice balance of open areas with close combat areas. Buildings are not too crazy to explore and you can usually find something good no matter where you go. There are a few annoying choke points, and other problems here and there (like how you usually do have to go through the city fragments depending on ring location), but, overall, I enjoy playing this map.

Kings Canyon today is kind of meh, especially with newer locations that break off big chunks of the old map (like the massive walls around Capacitor, and the massive hole that was Skull Town and Thunderdome), but it still has those other areas that I love dropping to (Artillery and Runoff to name a couple), and still has those popular spots that most people tend to drop to, leaving some quiet spots for early looting. It does have a lot more choke points in the middle of the map, which makes things tricky late game and usually results in team fights and third parties everywhere, but I still don't mind Kings Canyon.

Olympus has been my least favorite since it came out until this season...Points of interest are a bit even for drop rates, so you have a wide spread of players across the map, making it hard to find a good spot to drop early in peace. One spot I know to avoid is Estates which almost always has at least half a dozen players dropping to, and IDK why since it's just a mess trying to loot those buildings, especially in a hot drop situation... If I'm lucky and do find a quiet spot, then I usually have to deal with the massive open terrain that leaves you open to snipers almost constantly... Middle of the map (Hammond Labs area) can also be quite a mess. The massive death drops across the map also don't help things.

Message 1 of 13 (729 Views)

Re: How do you rank Storm Point among other maps?

★★★ Pro
@jokool_aid
1st storm point
2nd kings canyon
3rd Olympus
4th worlds edge
Message 2 of 13 (697 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@jokool_aid From best to worst
1st - World's Edge
2nd - Olympus
3rd - Storm Point
4th - All the Arenas maps, the lobby, the store
5th - Kings Canyon
Message 3 of 13 (691 Views)

★★★ Expert

1. Olympus

2. Original World's Edge

3. Storm Point

4. All the Arena Maps, the Lobby, the Store

5. King's Canyon

I like your way you list things, Cheese9Man

Message 4 of 13 (675 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@jokool_aid I'm give SP the 2 spot after Olympus right now but it's close.
Message 5 of 13 (632 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@jokool_aid
1 - KC
2- Stormpoint
3- Olympus
4- Worlds Edge

Worlds edge would be higher but fragment ruins it. KC is actually the most fun map for consistent fighting during games which is why I put it first.

Message 6 of 13 (603 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@jokool_aid Depends

For pubs I will take Olympus and KC first

For ranked Worlds Edge. I have only played a bit on Storm Point ranked, it is probably better than KC/Olympus experience imo.
Message 7 of 13 (591 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I really love the map. I just think is a little to big.

Message 8 of 13 (563 Views)

Champion
@jokool_aid Personally, I would have to go
1: OG KC (Nostalgia? Perhaps, but perhaps not)
2: Storm Point (Love this map so far!)
3: Current WE
4: Current KC (no Skull Town)
5: OG WE
6: All maps from all video games ever made in human history
7: Olympus

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

"Play me online? Well, you know that I'll beat you.
If I ever meet you, I'll control-alt-delete you!"
Message 9 of 13 (554 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Happy that everyone has their favorite map. The more reason why we should have all 4 maps in rotation next season but make it that you’ll only have to wait for 1hr max for the next map. Stop the weird 1hr, 1hr and 30mins, and 2hr map rotations.

Message 10 of 13 (547 Views)