How do you feel about the Nintendo Switch port?

by CompleatBeet

Original Post

How do you feel about the Nintendo Switch port?

★★★ Pro

I've played about 6 hours of Apex Legends on my Nintendo Switch and overall it's a fun experience. Obviously the performance isn't great but you can tell that there was a ton of effort put into the port; it never feels lazy and Respawn Entertainment really took their time with it.

Personally I think the game is better in handheld mode, where the pixels are more condense, and that's how I've been playing and enjoying it. 

If you're thinking about downloading the Switch port, by all means go for it: it captures the feels and action of Apex gameplay on other platforms, has decent playable graphics quality and the SBMM automatically putting you in "bot lobbies" allows you to get used to the new controls in easier lobbies. But if you have a PlayStation, Xbox or Gaming PC at home, I wouldn't recommend making the Switch your main platform, because you will have a better experience on those platforms. But the Switch port will always be a good side platform to play the game on when you're travelling (after the coronavirus pandemic is over of course) or even in the classroom  (not that I condone that behaviour)

But there is one major flaw with the port that I think is a universal opinion: cross play. A player on PlayStation or Xbox, who will have much better graphics and resolution will cream a Switch player and this also means having a Switch player on your team on another platform won't feel fair.

What Respawn should do here is to make it so that Nintendo Switch players are only matched with other Nintendo Switch players unless of course they are partied with a player on another platform. Nintendo Switch players should never face PS, Xbox or PC players unless they are partied with one. 

This is fair because a) Nintendo Switch players will not be creamed by players on other platforms and b) players on other platforms won't have to worry too much about having a Switch teammate who could potentially bring the team down.

If you've also played the Switch port, what are your thoughts on it?

Message 1 of 1 (101 Views)