Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

How do you build a character?

by VILE_INFECTION

Original Post

Highlighted

How do you build a character?

★★★★ Apprentice

Do you typically look at some strangers build and try to follow it, or do you work with what you have, and get surprised by what you discover?

I personally like the discovery method, it leaves more mystery to the game and keeps me engaged with what I can combo or chain up for damage.

How about you?

Message 1 of 7 (202 Views)
Highlighted

Re: How do you build a character?

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

In the beginning you HAVE to work with what you have. I spent weeks trying to get a ponder infinity or Venomous blaze. Same with the gun of my choice. My sniper rifle didnt even drop until after a month and a half. As far as weapons go I knew from the demo what I wanted.I still change my skill set back and forth depending on new drops and better inscriptions found.

Message 2 of 7 (193 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Pro

I typically do the same as the OP, I like the "discover" method. I have often found cookie cutter builds to be under par as people tend to rush to create them and post them and miss things. In my last MMO for example, the toon I was using ended up being pretty close to the cookie cutter build used by many for the same class, I had completely different macros though as I found some people felt a need to use every ability available even though some were unnecessary and actually reduced DPS if you used them. I had players messaging me asking how I was doing more DPS using the same class when they were using the latest cookie cutter builds, so I would take them to the dummies and show them. 

In Anthem I wanted to complete all the challenges re MW crafting so spent a lot of time with different weapons/assault launchers/grenades etc and I found what suited my playstyle. I love how Anthem has a big variety of builds/weapons to choose from, reminds me of the glory days of MMO's when people could play the same class and have vastly different builds, it made for great discussions.

Message 3 of 7 (184 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Guide

@Haruchai01 wrote:

I typically do the same as the OP, I like the "discover" method. I have often found cookie cutter builds to be under par as people tend to rush to create them and post them and miss things. In my last MMO for example, the toon I was using ended up being pretty close to the cookie cutter build used by many for the same class, I had completely different macros though as I found some people felt a need to use every ability available even though some were unnecessary and actually reduced DPS if you used them. I had players messaging me asking how I was doing more DPS using the same class when they were using the latest cookie cutter builds, so I would take them to the dummies and show them. 

In Anthem I wanted to complete all the challenges re MW crafting so spent a lot of time with different weapons/assault launchers/grenades etc and I found what suited my playstyle. I love how Anthem has a big variety of builds/weapons to choose from, reminds me of the glory days of MMO's when people could play the same class and have vastly different builds, it made for great discussions.

Sounds like Elder Scrolls..you werent a Dragon Knight were you???Secret

Message 4 of 7 (178 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Pro

@Ticklepink68 wrote:

@Haruchai01 wrote:

Sounds like Elder Scrolls..you werent a Dragon Knight were you???Secret

I played ESO for a couple of years but no I wasn't a Dragon Knight. Not a huge fan of the 5 button MMO's, loved the size, the crafting, the story, the graphics, but the combat didn't have enough depth IMO.

Message 5 of 7 (158 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Apprentice

@Ticklepink68 wrote:

In the beginning you HAVE to work with what you have. I spent weeks trying to get a ponder infinity or Venomous blaze. Same with the gun of my choice. My sniper rifle didnt even drop until after a month and a half. As far as weapons go I knew from the demo what I wanted.I still change my skill set back and forth depending on new drops and better inscriptions found.

I didn't even know what items were in the game, I wasn't after anything until I found all five Masterwork Grenades and Launchers for the Ranger. It wasn't until then, when I started to seek items.Then found different components, they added new ones, and I had more to find. I still haven't found them all, and I still pursue them. Super fun game.

Message 6 of 7 (131 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Apprentice
In this game RNG builds it for you. You won't get that many 300% dmg rolls to be picky.
Message 7 of 7 (84 Views)
Twitter Stream