How do we still not have skill-based matchmaking almost a year into launch?

by TheMutilatingOne

Original Post

How do we still not have skill-based matchmaking almost a year into launch?

★★★★ Novice

Yeah I already know this is gonna sound like a whinge post, but gotta get it off my chest.  I play the game for maybe half an hour after work each day as a way to de-stress.  I've been playing off-and-on since May of this year.  Started off as crap, only wins from carries but about two weeks into it I was knocking squads and actually feeling like I'm of use to my squad.  Come October or so, I've noticed getting matched with lvl 200+ with over 1k kills fairly regularly.  I'm lvl 45 with 280 kills on my main (Wattson) and starting to lose confidence with the game even though I practice near daily.  Rainbow Six has the gold standard of tier-based matchmaking and I'm wondering why it still hasn't been implemented here as a way for (frankly) n00bs like myself to avoid the TTV tryhards.

Message 1 of 20 (616 Views)

Re: How do we still not have skill-based matchmaking almost a year into launch?

★ Expert

Backing away slowly, avoiding eye contact....cough* SBMM threads everywhere cough*

Message 2 of 20 (613 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@TheMutilatingOne Skill based matching is in the game. They are matching you with those lobbies based on a lot of unknowns statistical data. So your anger should actually be towards the fact that it is in the game. You hit the nail on the head and your frustration is from the fact that you don't see any progress from the time you've spent in game. You'll never get easy lobbies because they place you with [sic] "equally skilled based" players. The formula doesn't work in a br. Too much rng.
Message 3 of 20 (586 Views)

Champion

SBMM? What's  that? Never heard of it. XD

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 20 (585 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@TheMutilatingOne you're getting matched with people at you're skill level doesn't mean they have high level an loads of kills or so we are lead to believe.
I started off the same totally crap got better over time got to plat in ranked happy with that for my skill level yet now well I mean when I did play every game was sweaty very sweaty all my friends have quit playing as well now an I don't play now so GOODJOB RESPAWN EA
Message 5 of 20 (534 Views)

@n1xon99 You have no idea what you're talking about. With or without SBMM the RNG will still be part of the game they are two entirely separate things and do not impact each other.

Can you please explain how RNG based loot impacts SBMM? I'm rather curious..

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 6 of 20 (521 Views)

★★ Pro

@DarthValtrex I think it's just a general frustration with "rank" and "luck" being in the same sentence... I share similar thoughts. What does "rank" even mean if all your kills come from hot dropping and getting a weapon first? That's not skill. I know they don't impact each other dramatically and they'd exist if the other didn't, but the frustration remains since they're both in the same matches now.

Message 7 of 20 (506 Views)

★★★ Expert

@TheMutilatingOne wrote:

Yeah I already know this is gonna sound like a whinge post, but gotta get it off my chest.  I play the game for maybe half an hour after work each day as a way to de-stress

Uhhhm... yeah.... so..... 

That's like looking for sober people at a sports bar. Don't get me the wrong way but Apex is not a "lets chill" kind of game.

You either put your sweatband on, or you're just gonna be a target dummy.

If you wanna chill then Skyrim or Dragon Age inquisition is more to chill out.

Message 8 of 20 (490 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Guess I'm headed back to Titanfall then.  Love the mobility of the games, but sweating isn't something I enjoy.

Message 9 of 20 (423 Views)

★★★ Expert
@MandatoryIDtag Sweat Boys' Mega Meeting Standard smile
Message 10 of 20 (405 Views)