How do Rank splits work?

by HopesKunai

Original Post

How do Rank splits work?

★★★ Pro

Does everyone playing Ranked get "demoted" by the same amount every split?

If so, what is the point of it? What I mean by that is, If Preds get demoted to Pat II, then everyone in Plat II is a "former": Pred. If everyone in Gold Iv gets demoted by the same amount the Pred s do, then everyone in Bronze II is a "former" Gold Iv.

The difference mostly sits in low ranks vs high ranks. While It is tempting to think that mixing new players with more experienced ones is beneficial, I do not believe it to be so. This only taints and ruins the experience of beginners who will definitely square off with players with much more experience, keeping beginners "oppressed". It is not much different than promoting smurfing. This system of "glorified" demotion (glorified because it is not really a demotion if EVERYONE who is a pred is now in plat II) has only a nominal effect in higher ranks. Not so for the lower ranks because of the ease of access lower ranks have as compared to the upper ranks.

In addition, ranked seasons are back to back. So no loss of skills if played consistently.

If a player should take a "sabbatical", then that player will be demoted, if rusty, up until hes\r former skill return.

Why not allow rank to have demotions and start the new seasons where the last one ended?

Message 1 of 11 (373 Views)

Re: How do Rank splits work?

[ Edited ]
Champion

@HopesKunai  It's basically designed to give more people a chance at predator, so for us mere mortals that aren't in the upper echelons of apex ranked ifs just a pointless set back.

As for the full rank demotions it's to prevent people deliberately bombing their rank to remain  in ranked lobbies below their skill.E.g a diamond player decides he wants to noob stomp, so he reverse boosts his rank back to bronze.  He can then noobstomp and repeat this cycle....it's basically like smurfing in concept.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 11 (354 Views)

★★★ Pro
@MandatoryIDtag

I see. Can you elaborate? I truly fail to see how Respawn would think that by setting everyone back by the same lengths would change anything in the upper levels.

If all preds are now plat II, what all plat II be now? And so on, except for the lower ranks limited/capped by the bottom bronze IV.
Message 3 of 11 (347 Views)

Champion

@HopesKunai So only the top 500 players in each season can be a predator, however the season is split and you achieve the rank rewards of the split you reached the highest rank in if that's makes sense? (This may be different for predator to be fair,maybe somebody else can confirm)

As for the rank drop its always 1.5 ranks that you're set back.

Message 4 of 11 (342 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@MandatoryIDtag

Ok, so that is how I thought it would happen. Suppose only 500 pred players. Everyone drops by 1.5.
Only 500 people will be in plat II at the beginning of the next split, as all "real" plat II are now 1.5 below.  What did change from the day before? Everyone who was in plat II is now 1.5 lower etc.

How would it make it easier for a new player to get to pred?

Message 5 of 11 (338 Views)

Champion

@HopesKunai  Essentially, that's why early season ranked is the best time to play. You've got better odds of gaining competent teammates and rising the ranks quicker, the downside is obviously the same goes for your opponents. It doesn't normally take that long for the ranks to balance back out.

Message 6 of 11 (333 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@HopesKunai Not newer players, more like gives people who have the skill ofc, a chance to compete for Pred rank again.

I agree with you that demoting a Plat player to silver achieves nothing, but since it's essential that Preds reset to Plat(cuz it's the highest), the Plats will have to be reset to at least Gold. And gold to Silver and we all know silvers are matched with Bronze players. So doesn't really make a big difference.

You see there is a bug that allows Gold/Silver players to become fodder for preds at the start of the season, if you watch any streamers at the start of a season or after reset, you will see they have silver/Bronze champions or players or teammates.
Message 7 of 11 (306 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@MandatoryIDtag

the only difference I can think of is how much RP is needed to go from plat II to Pred. as opposed to going from bronze to pred. The final amount is the same, but starting from 6000RP and going to 15000+ (i think?) is definitely shorter, which once again favors ex preds.

Again, the mistake I keep making is thinking that ranked is competitive at all. Sure there are good and great players, but it is not competitive. It is a casual game, made for the casual player --even ranked.
I guess I have to stop thinking of Apex as a skill based, competitive game after all.

Message 8 of 11 (305 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@HopesKunaiIt is to keep people grinding. People who reach their best attainable level and stagnate might stop playing. So they reset everyone to start again. It is like playing the same game over and over til the end.

Fun fun! 😉

Message 9 of 11 (280 Views)

★★★ Pro
@hayhor

It makes sense.

I would say that the top players would still have to grind to remain where they are if no reset was in place....
Probably everyone would have a more compelling reason to grind to keep their positions...
Message 10 of 11 (274 Views)