Re: How do I stop sucking at this?

by Its_Travis_199

Original Post

How do I stop sucking at this?

[ Edited ]

This will be a moderate length post, so I hope that's fine (yes I know, TL;DR...)

And the example concerns Battlefield 1 because V isn't out yet, and I need to practise.

I like single player games but am open to the idea that multiplayer might be fun and even PVP.

I've preordered a copy of Battlefield V because I like the sound of the 4-person co-op, but I should stop avoiding PVP like a sad little loser, because it's just a learned skill right?

So: I have a copy of Battlefield 1 via the EA Access Vault, so here goes 'Road to Battlefront V'

bf1image01.jpg

So I start by having to run across half the map towards some circles. 

I guess I shoot soldiers of the other color. So far so good.

bf1image02.jpg

Trying to follow other players in my team doesn't seem to help because they just seem to be running all over the place.

On top of that, I then get shot by someone I didn't even see, and I got 'stuck' in a tank (not sure why) for two minutes that I couldn't even drive.

Most of the game I spent like this: (15 deaths)

9fad1381-0b53-497e-a527-fc5738cd80d0.PNG

On the plus side, I did get one kill. More by accident than good judgment I suspect,

and if I do that another 15 times, I'll be one segment through my 'Road to Battlefront V'. Great.

I'm hoping it gets better than this. Large smile

I'm going to look for a decent tutorial, and yes I do only play with randos because of my work commitments, but any really basic suggestions to help me get going?

Thanks.

Mostly following BioWare & Star Wars games. Old timer. Helping out here does not mean I work for EA so I don't have all the answers. Also hangs out on BSN. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 1 of 13 (1,097 Views)

@SofaJockeyUK

Basically i can tell you, for Tutorials and stuff like that simply enter on Youtube that what you need.
Like: "Battlefield 1 Tips" / "Battlefield 1 Tutorial" ect.

But the best thing to really get better is, LEARNING BY DOING! Wink

Join a empty server, try different Classes and the different Weapon you have available to use so far.

See how they feel for you to use, which you like the most and learn about the recoil of the Gun you like.
I would advise you to focus on using one Weapon for a longer time and learn this one how it reacts while shooting, and learn to control it.

One of the best Weapons to start is probably the MP18 Trench which is already unlocked on the beginning.
It's easy to handle and a good alrounder Weapon. Wink

Vehicles: Try out on empty servers which different Tanks/Planes the game offeres you. You might be a better Pilot or Tanker than ground Soldier. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Another BIG point is KNOWING THE MAPS! As more you play on maps, as better you know them.

Stuff like, wher enemies love to hide/camp or how to run around to flank the enemy Team and rek them all from behind.

In the end: Knowing how your Weapon work and how to act/run on the Battlefield (depends on the Map you play) are the most important things. But it all takes time to learn.

Good luck Soldier! Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner 1 Grande.png

Message 2 of 13 (1,087 Views)

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Mostly following BioWare & Star Wars games. Old timer. Helping out here does not mean I work for EA so I don't have all the answers. Also hangs out on BSN. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 3 of 13 (1,082 Views)

@SofaJockeyUK

You're welcome. Standard smile

You'll see pretty fast how it gets better and better if you keep playing.
Every beginning is hard, and knowing the Maps is a big point in this type of games.

Message 4 of 13 (1,077 Views)

@SofaJockeyUK I think the friendliest classes for beginners are support and medic. You can spam heal and ammo pouches. Spoting the enemy also helps (Q button, if that is your default)

As for weapons, play them all and decide which suits you. Try to be aware of what is happening. Snipers tend to camp certain places, so if you can learn those, you can hit them back or sneak behind them. Gas and incendiary grenades tend to affect both you and the enemy so make sure that those won't kill you (or your team), too. They are good at clearing rooms. 

BF1 is (at least in theory) a team game. A lot of the battles will depend of how well those 12 - 32 people work together. Skill is important, but even more important is the teamplay. As a medic you will have to make sure that your guys stay alive as long as possible. As support, you have to keep them supplied with ammo (ammo crates are better as they also offer special ammo for mortars, armor-penetrating bullets and so on, but don't neglect ammo pouches, as those are very good in supplying your team when they assault and you have to follow). Assault, well, they are the actual breachers. They suck at long distance (unless they have godly skills), but they are masters of the close combat. Scouts - well, your typical sniper/support. One thing that most of the snipers don't do is spoting (a place where the class actually excels and a few spoters equiped with flare guns and trench periscopes could keep lit the enmy positions for the team).

You can try various loadouts (as an example, i like sometimes to get for my support limpet charges and demolish the neighbourhood, making harder for the enemy snipers to hide inside houses). 

Of course, watching youtube videos help. But you learn a lot by actually playing. 

You will meet nice people and you will meet some unsavory ones. Don't let the last category get to you. Ignore them, leave the server if they start to annoy you, just don't let yourself sucked in their negativity.

As for the SP, the War Stories quality varies. The first one isn't bad, but isn't great either. But some of them are quite good. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 5 of 13 (1,007 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@SofaJockeyUK There's a nice collection of tutorials on the official Battlefield website: https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/tips?setLocale=en-us 

But indeed as both @Its_Travis_199 and @ivrognard mentioned map knowledge and experience are key, so keep playing. You still have a couple of months until BFV's release so plenty of time to practice. 

_________________________________________________________________________________
▪Did you find someone's post useful? Please grant + XP✔
▪Did someone's post solve your issue/answer your question? Please accept as solution✔

I do not work for EA, I'm a gamer trying to help fellow gamers. :eahigh_file:

Message 6 of 13 (983 Views)

I agree RanzigeRidder, the Battlefield Boot Camp website has some pretty nice Tips too.

In my opinion, knowing a Map and it's sneaky ways where you can flank the enemy lines from is a important part.
Also to find the right Weapon for you.
Simply try each Weapon you can, find one you like and can handle best. Then learn to control it!

In the end: Know the Map like your own home, and use the Gun like you've been never using anything else. Wink

Message 7 of 13 (972 Views)

★★ Novice

a good game mode to start out on in my opinion  is operations. you can earn a lot of points spamming health packs for your team and reviving players. just remember to play the objective and get in those caps you'll soon be racking up points easy. it's not hard to earn 15k base so on am operation match

Message 8 of 13 (872 Views)

That's right, Operations is a pretty good mode to get alot of XP to level up if you PTFO as well.

But his main question was "how to get better in the Game at all", what's the Tips/Tricks and all that.

It wasn't about how to level up fast and get much XP. Standard smile

Message 9 of 13 (858 Views)

★★ Novice

true but he was also asking about road to bf v points aswell. best way to learn is to do as such or that's what works for me anyway

Message 10 of 13 (847 Views)