Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: How am I supposed to play when missions kick me to home and servers shut dow

by max2562

Original Post

Highlighted

How am I supposed to play when missions kick me to home and servers shut down?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I’ve made the choice to try Anthem again after all the controversy and am a relatively new player. I played the beta and wasn’t impressed, I then played the game at launch and left because my suspicions were justified. 
I have now returned and can’t believe a modern game can get away with kicking players on such a regular basis.
Mid mission? Kicked because the server ended

mid mission during the trials of fort Tarsis? Game crashes because it can’t handle the amount of enemies during the horde trial

I can’t believe even on Xbox One X I am experiencing these constant roadblocks to just playing the game. 

Message 1 of 10 (575 Views)
Highlighted

Re: How am I supposed to play when missions kick me to home and servers shut dow

★★★ Apprentice

I can say from an outsider's perspective you already seem to have come into this suspicious and angry. Not surprising that you would find expected results. I get kicked maybe once out of 30+ instances. It happens and I get upset, but then it doesn't happen to me often enough to continue to be upset. Quite rarely it would seem. And ultimately I have the choice to continue playing or not. Sure, I just spent the last two missions yelling at my monitor about some other issue I have with this game, but getting kicked is far from the largest problem I've found. I got 99 problems and getting kicked aint one.

Message 2 of 10 (543 Views)
Highlighted

I am on PC, but I rarely get kicked from a mission, well at least now.  A few months ago, I upgraded my internet and Charter/Spectrum got me on 400mb cable internet and provided me with a router to handle wifi and multiple wired connections.....well, their router was total crap and would disconnect when playing games, usually with more than one person trying to game at a time.   I tried calling them and they upgraded bios and settings, and no real change....I finally got a decent tech service rep and she said their router isn't designed for gaming and recommended a different model(older and being phased out), so I asked if an aftermarket one would be better, and her response was theirs would work, but yeah, aftermarket is better if you want to spend the money.  So I spent the money on a good Asus router and haven't had an issue since. 

Disconnects can be EA/Bioware issue, internet providers issue, and your inside house hardware issue.  Personally I haven't heard of a bunch of disconnects, so I am leaning to the issue being something on your end or internet providers end.....but since I am not an EA employee, this could be total bs.  Are you online using Wifi or a wired connection??  If wifi, you may try a wire to the router instead. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 10 (537 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Guide

If they got the system message that the server has shut down, it was unlikely a connection issue from their side. But that really happens rarely. I see server shutdowns maybe once in four months or so. And in freeplay games, where the game instance is running for a longer time on the server, you usually get a notification one hour before the session is going to end.

Message 4 of 10 (520 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Guide
@BlueSpy3DO If you aren't on ethernet and are using wifi instead I find the lag is unbearable even with my cable modem in the same room.
Message 5 of 10 (493 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

I don’t buy it when people say if you disconnect it must be a problem on your end. When playing Anthem I get randomly dropped from the game probably once every 4 gameplay hours on average. The same is true of my friend. I live in Alabama, she lives in California. It happens when playing solo and in groups. We play other online games such as Destiny, Warframe, Inquisition MP, Astroneer, Portal Knights. Anthem is literally the only game that this happens in. There is definitely an issue with the Anthem servers. I don’t know what it is, but it’s there.

It’s not so bad that it makes the game unplayable, but it’s just enough to be an annoyance.

Message 6 of 10 (466 Views)
Highlighted

Champion
@sister-hawk Investigating one’s own connection to the EA servers is often helpful. Personally I doubt that it’s ever servers actually crashing, much more likely to be communication issues to the servers that are just throwing that particular error code. Really need to be able to do some basic troubleshooting... there are so many things that can go wrong in between a player's computer and the target servers. Not sure about Astroneer and Portal Knights, but afaik, Warframe and DAImp are both peer2peer, they only use matchmaking servers, Destiny 2 I periodically have connection issues with, much like you complain about with Anthem. So having or not having issues with other games isn’t proof that the EA servers are specifically the issue.

I always advise folks to check the connection trouble-shooting pages as well as check their ISP's buffer bloat. I have personally had bufferbloat cause me to be disconnected from other server-based games. Also, ATT is terrible for bufferbloat.

Just another gamer hoping to help.
Love playing RPGs, MMOs, and Action games.
Like watching most other games.

I'm not employed by EA.
Message 7 of 10 (440 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice
@ChiraaKitteh I see what you are saying, but Overwatch is a server based game that I have never disconnected from once. And so many people report problems with disconnecting from Anthem.
Message 8 of 10 (438 Views)
Highlighted

@sister-hawk   Anthem is badly optimized and the slightest problem with your connection will end up in disconnections. Stability is the key here so yes @ChiraaKitteh is right on saying there is a lot you need to check on your end to get a stable connection with Anthem.

I am one of the Lucky ones with no connection problems but it might be due to the fact I live in France.

- Carpe diem and enjoy your game -

Just a normal gamer trying to help – not working for EA

Message 9 of 10 (409 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Guide

The end result here is that if you are having issues, your best bet is to test every available option that you can directly control.

If all those things fail, then you move to questioning the servers.

This is not because it is your fault or your isp or your hardware. Its because those are things you have direct control over.

Message 10 of 10 (343 Views)
Twitter Stream