How SBMM would work

by rockyboy1998

Original Post

How SBMM would work

★★★ Pro

Please note that ranked play would not apply to this... 

I thought of a way in which SBMM should work. 

Lets say you are playing Duo's, in this case we have Duo 1 and Duo 2. 

Duo 1's Stats / record: 

• 1.20 KDR
  • Average Damage: 250 
  • Highest Damage ever: 2100 

Duo 2's Stats: 

• 1.05 KDR 
  • Average Damage: 200 
  • Highest Damage ever: 2500 

These players should never see a predator player, a master player and on average they might see the occasional diamond level player. 

These players should never see / meet someone with a KDR of 1.6/1.8 + 

These players should never see someone with a 20kill badge or a 4000 badge 

These players should be playing with people at their level so from 0.9 - 1.5 KDR and that should be their lobbies. 

Message 1 of 13 (433 Views)

Re: How SBMM would work

Champion
@rockyboy1998 You arent factoring in finishes or wins. You have to on this game.
Message 2 of 13 (426 Views)

★★★ Pro
@hayhor That’s true, but again. If someone wins a game, they shouldn’t then drop in a lobby with a predator.

That’s a different scenario, if someone is doing really well in their level because they might be improving as a player then maybe they play against people with a 2.0+ KDR rather than dropping into a pred swarmed lobby.
Message 3 of 13 (418 Views)

Champion
@rockyboy1998 It is tough tho. You overestimate what an average player is and you have to account for wins in combination with everything.

The game expects someone to win 5% of the time. There are people that play this game with KDs of 1 or greater that never ever sniff a win. It is not because they face preds, it is because they have no game sense and can usually jump someone before they notice, get a kill or two and then die because they attacked without thinking about their surroundings.

Then you have people like me that have KDs in recent reasons of between .9 and 1 but win at around a 10 to 12% rate. I'm not the best fighter but I'll play as a team with anyone. If I'm with a pusher Ill do my best to keep up. I get a few teams of preds and masters in the majority of my lobbies. Some days it feels like that's all I die to. The game mixes in my win rate and decides I win too much.

So in your opinion is that right?
Message 4 of 13 (392 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

No that isn't right either. As things stood recently, bad lag and all, my kdr was around 1. That means I lose 1 out of every 2 gunfights. My win rate is 10% which means I lose 90 percent of my games. I still feel like this is way too low to even see players with 20k badges, never mind preds. Yet I do and you do too.

From a sbmm perspective I've had a recent thought... If players keep improving and keep getting matched up with similar skilled players won't they eventually come to a point where the lobbies are just insanely difficult? Wouldn't it be like playing ranked pred lobbies once you reach pred status? I mean I get the feeling that the better you become at this game the more you get punished for it and the less fun it becomes. It's like sbmm in the long run will create the very same problem it's trying to avoid. I don't see long term potential for this game in this way, eventually it will become unplayable unless you start losing a ton again. 

Message 5 of 13 (373 Views)

★★ Expert

@rockyboy1998 it doesn't work, and no rationalization nor Respawn's "improvements" will make it work. SBMM is the participation trophy of matchmaking systems, designed to coddle people who don't have time nor refuse to put any effort or thought into what they do / or how they play.

That's not to say, "Oh if you don't have time you suck you shouldn't play." but rather, "You're asking for a fair fight between someone who professionally plays shooters who constantly has the time to practice and improve, and someone who works a 9-5 to feed their family. You won't get it, in every conceivable reality there is no way you'll ever get a fair fight." SBMM tries to solve the "problem" of the bare naked average joe with no specialized training / muscle development / knowledge fighting a bear. A literal bear. The real problem is the fact that the bare naked average joe believes they're entitled to a fair fight with the bear, despite not putting in any effort at all. 

Message 6 of 13 (365 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@rockyboy1998 That's what ranked is for. I don't see why people want SBMM so bad in casual mode. Your matchmaking idea is just a more aggressive form of current SBMM/EOMM or whatever the hell it is called.

Either keep a MM free mode and ranked, or remove ranked if you want SBMM in pubs. You don't require two ranked modes.
Message 7 of 13 (361 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@pastaclown Total removal of SBMM will eventually lead you to the same situation. But instead of less-skilled player having their own lobbies they will move to another game and only good players will stick around, keeping lobbies more or less the same.
Message 8 of 13 (335 Views)

@rockyboy1998 Depends on the players last few games. My KD is not great but I will go on some dominate streaks and my average damage is much higher then the ones you've posted.

When I go on the dominate streaks I end up in the predator lobbies. They can be challenging but I have had success. You should too, you're a better player than me.

Last night I was getting killed left and right and could hardly perform as a bullet sponge for my squad. Guess what lobbies that dropped me to? I'm sure I'll have a good streak again and get bumped back up into more difficult lobbies.

I think my issue is I start having success, get a tad overly confident and start playing like a suicidal octane who wants to rush a multi squad fight by themselves.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 9 of 13 (324 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@rockyboy1998 i don't think it will ever work , cuz they don't want to
Message 10 of 13 (312 Views)