How Realistic is F122? (According to an F1 Engineer)

by Ultrasonic_77

Original Post

Re: How Realistic is F122? (According to an F1 Engineer)

Community Manager (retired)
@Meza994 Indeed the traction is a sum of many little problems, that put together, rewards higher gears for traction.

Is not just one thing and not so easy to get right.

The ers is another story, to do it right is a lot of data, gps based. So is a little simplified now, but it does mess with the traction.

Gps based they put full power when they are sure they have the grip to cope with that, we don't have that and contributes to slightly worse traction.
Message 11 of 49 (768 Views)

★★★★★ Pro
@DavidG53 Can only agree, just a bit more freedom in the deployment to choose for the player would be great😜
Message 12 of 49 (752 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@Ultrasonic_77 I'm pretty sure it has to do with brake-by-wire, 50% brake pressure doesnt have to mean 50% braking but could be 60%
Not saying what i just said is the anwser, but that's what i've heard about braking not being accurate on the graphs we see on TV
Message 13 of 49 (713 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@Horseponyhybrid Braking was always shown as on/off way before there was the BBW thing.)
Message 14 of 49 (698 Views)

★★ Guide

After driving F1 cars in actual simulators I can say the F1 cars int he game, (especially wheel support) are horrible in the feeling and feedback. F1 2020 is closer to real life 2022 cars than F1 22. 

I know people might use medium traction but imo those guys cannot take part in this discussion as real life has no TC as well. the traction is completely different and you can feel this straight away as in an F1 car you could go flat in 2nd gear while ingame here its not possible. Also higher gears the traction of an F1 car is one of the easiest in any race car out there. Why they decided to make it so unrealistic, i dunno. (again, 2020 had fairly realistic handling)  Same with the reaction of the car. Yes, this generation produces understeer but the amount of understeer IRL is significantly less. the car still turns in straight away unlike F1 22. 

Also the gear sync is completely wrong in F1 22. 

But the biggest difference compared to an Arcade or simcade game and an actual sim is the feedback. Yes, its no secret that wheels in F1 games havent been supported well at all for pretty much ever and the game is made for a controller (yes, 22 being first game where controller isnt the better device, and pretty much equal to wheel)

Still, the support for a wheel should be MUCH MUCH better in this game as practially you get zero indication what the car is doing in the device via FFB. 

Message 15 of 49 (621 Views)

★★ Guide
@Wollcott Before people ask: the most realistic F1 car in a game is the W13 in iracing as it was designed and programmed by mercedes engineers themselves. (and yea the FFB in iRacing isnt that great as well, pretty poor actually. But it is still miles clear of F1 22 - and that is insane to think as iRacing is from 2008 and F1 22 basically 2015)
Message 16 of 49 (619 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@Wollcott wrote:

After driving F1 cars in actual simulators I can say the F1 cars int he game, (especially wheel support) are horrible in the feeling and feedback. F1 2020 is closer to real life 2022 cars than F1 22. 

I know people might use medium traction but imo those guys cannot take part in this discussion as real life has no TC as well. the traction is completely different and you can feel this straight away as in an F1 car you could go flat in 2nd gear while ingame here its not possible. Also higher gears the traction of an F1 car is one of the easiest in any race car out there. Why they decided to make it so unrealistic, i dunno. (again, 2020 had fairly realistic handling)  Same with the reaction of the car. Yes, this generation produces understeer but the amount of understeer IRL is significantly less. the car still turns in straight away unlike F1 22. 

Also the gear sync is completely wrong in F1 22. 

But the biggest difference compared to an Arcade or simcade game and an actual sim is the feedback. Yes, its no secret that wheels in F1 games havent been supported well at all for pretty much ever and the game is made for a controller (yes, 22 being first game where controller isnt the better device, and pretty much equal to wheel)

Still, the support for a wheel should be MUCH MUCH better in this game as practially you get zero indication what the car is doing in the device via FFB. 

Regarding 2nd gear, you are absolutely right about that. Watching many onboards just proves it to be so. F1 cars always had huge traction.  

Message 17 of 49 (607 Views)

★★ Guide
@Blackbird90
Yea and after watdching the video i think theres one massive flaw in their comparison. And that is the traction part.

The outcome is somewhat very misleading and they compared wrong things to each other.

Alex lap was done under normal F1 22 shifting (perhaps slightly lower than you would go) but still higher than IRL and Russells lap. So essentially they are comparing Alex in third gear on the apex and throttle out of the corner to Russell whos in 2nd gear at that time and does no shortshifting, while Alex is arleady in fourth when Russell just upshifts to third.

That makes a comparison impossible as traction is obviously different in every gear. Alex should instead have done his lap in the same gears (or as close as possible) as Russell. Because then the outcome would have been completely different as George is flat in 2nd gear and Alex wouldve had to be much more cautious while putting power down.

I also asked 2 other experienced Sim pros about this and they say the same thing. Alex and the other guy probably forgot that dimension when making this video so i dont want to blame them but definitely that comparison does not give true results.
Message 18 of 49 (581 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@Wollcott Make a good point. I didn’t take into account which gear Alex was in.
Message 19 of 49 (573 Views)

★★ Guide
@ScarDuck14 yea tbf i was still suprised that it was fairly close but then it shouldnt have been a suprise as alex basically gives himself more traction via the higher gears. Unfortunately they did not consider this beforehand, would have been interesting to the the actual difference but im sure T1 already would have been big difference in traction.
still a good video tho. some things are definitely very similar. for me personally i hate this high gear shifting in the F1 game. feels so unnatural and wrong. and its also a vicious circle as the game has no good traction you go on and use even higher gears than previously. really hope that gets reverted in the future although i have no clue if i will ever open this game again ;(
Message 20 of 49 (567 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help