Re: How Realistic is F122? (According to an F1 Engineer)

by BadMayh3m

Original Post

★★ Guide
@mariohomoh Yeah okay that's is true. (Gears in video) considering that you can argue that traction is very off because of the way gears/torque is applied, even tho in their comparison it's fairly similar. Both of the comparisons they did go hand in hand. Taken the gear comparison into account it does make sense and is somewhat "representative". I still would've liked them to really do both things the same way to really see the exact differencies in traction loss.

About the 2nd gear; realistically there will barely be moments when you can go flat all the way thru, probably not at all. While you can go flat until you might experience wheel spin and loss of traction in the game meanwhile you would spin immediately as you touch the throttle more than like 30-40% input.

I'm not sure what equipment was on the sim, nowhere did It say anything and I also didn't ask what wheel this was. I have certainly never seen it somewhere before.

About your pad comment, I'm not sure if I fully understand. I think the pad support in F1 has massively dropped between 21 and 22. While it's let's say "more fair" that pads lost vibration, at the same time it means feedback has gone worse. So I wouldn't say F1 is the best game for a pad. I have only played one racing game on a pad and that's F1 until last year.
But looking at AC or ACC it seems quite obvious that there's a lot more potential for controller feedback and I'm not talking about simple vibration that indicates when you lose Traction or when you lock up.

Message 41 of 49 (578 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@Wollcott where did you see gears and torque being fairly similar? The fact that Alex did not take the corners and hit his apexes on the same gears as George show that it's off. The charts at the end just help visualize how off they are and understand why it is like that.
For "traction", the most relevant mechanisms will be engine output and tyre model. The transmission, which obviously includes gear ratios, will regulate the power output of the engine to the wheels.

Have you actually played AC or ACC with a pad and do you genuinely think it's better than Codies' F1 controller experience?
And it's not like pad and wheel FFB are on a continuum. To have good FFB for one you do not need to worsen it for the other.
Anyway, yes, FFB in F1 22 is not in a good state specially for wheel players.
Message 42 of 49 (571 Views)

★★ Guide
@mariohomoh Oh I think you misunderstood. I meant via the gear comparison you can take away that Traction is very different even tho when they compared it directly it was similar. I didn't mean the gears themselves being similar
Message 43 of 49 (565 Views)

★★ Guide
@mariohomoh Ive played it on PS4 but that isn't really good my mate who plays on pad has a ps5. The difference must be insane. On PS4 controller there isn't much feedback. On a ps5 he says the difference to F1 is insane. For myself on ps4 it's somewhat similar.
Message 44 of 49 (563 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@Wollcott Yeah you lost me on the criticism over the video testing of traction and gears.
I see no reason to compare how realistic the game is if you're not running it close to the limit. The engines must be always kept at its power band (i.e. the RPM range it outputs the most power) for you to gauge the power output and tyre model. What exact gear you're in is of secondary importance since power output, tyre grip, load sensitivity and other parameters are way more impactful.
When you get those right, the gears will be way easier to nail down.

I have ACC on the PS5 too and played with it back on PS4 too, but to a considerably less extent. I'm in no position to discredit your friend's experience - to each their own - but I would not even bother to boot ACC if all I had was my Dualsense whereas F1 is arguably even more fun with the PS5 triggers than on a wheel 🤷‍♂️
Message 45 of 49 (553 Views)

Champion (Retired)

While we are still in the mood, more crude paint overlays:

F1 2022 Bahrain GP Q3:

F1 Bahrain GP 2022 Quali LEC VER Telemetry.png

F1 2022 Canadian GP Q3 – some wet weather action to spice it up because why not – plus, there's Alonso 🙃

F1 Canadian GP 2022 Quali VER ALO Telemetry.png

Message 46 of 49 (537 Views)

★★★ Pro

In Russell's case the team could of gear down the car for the track then his 2nd maybe the same as our 4th.

This would also help explain why the game is around 2 sec faster than rl. 

Message 47 of 49 (526 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@BadMayh3m Gear ratios are fixed for the season. The teams send them at the start of the race calendar and that's it, there's no tweaking on a track by track basis.

But yeah, different cars have different ratios. Plus there are the torque curves of each engine.

At the end of the day, I guess it mostly comes down to the tyre model. How much grip each axle has under different loads. F1 22 broke new grand in the franchise as it significantly increased the number of data points in the load sensitivity of the tyres, and Greco is a dedicated workhorse. The next iterations have a good shot at being more realistic now that the underlying systems were updated like this.
Message 48 of 49 (517 Views)

★★★ Pro
@mariohomoh I did not know that!
Thanks for the info😎
Message 49 of 49 (502 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help