Re: How Ranked Leagues Will Work in Season 2 of Apex Legends

by Anlbrd

Original Post

★★★★ Guide

@bmwray wrote:

I wonder if we noobs could take advantage of the skilled matchmaking and have more fun to meet other players with less skills, and get more kills or a chance that way? :-)

Btw i could only reply to other posts so i had to quote to make this post..

I saw a meme about this.

If you are very good player, just wait another 2-3 weeks when players with similiar skill set move up the ladder.

At this time, you should be matched with lower tier players, enjoy the bully Standard smile probably some banners  too.

Message 61 of 126 (514 Views)

Community Manager

@ajharris21 You'll get 1 RP per kill per match, capped at 5 per match. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 62 of 126 (510 Views)

★ Guide
@EA_David Thanks!
Message 63 of 126 (505 Views)

★★ Guide
@EA_Blueberry I still do not understand what if I run out of Ranked Points (RP)? Let's say I'm Platinum and I spend all of my RP, I cannot get demoted to Gold, but how can I participate in matches as matches require points to spend?
Message 64 of 126 (499 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@Koochi-Q wrote:

@d3adc3II wrote:

@AnlbrdPredator as in Lion, Tiger, Panther? Standard smile

Such animal don't rush and kill everything that moves. They camp, wait for the chance and quickly finish the prey with 100% success rate.
It's predator in my book.
//Just saying

What passive lions have you come across XD? Lions, tigers and panthers don’t ‘camp’. They stalk. That’s a completely different style of observing. They wait, while silently approaching/distancing themselves ready to pounce at the right time. Campers... well they basically sit as far as possible and observe with no plan of attacking usually untill they’re found out. 

It is impossible for you to know what a "camper" has done before killing you. They may have seen you moving minutes before and set up for an ambush, or their team structure may favour them setting up traps and waiting for the blind rushers to run in to their slaughter lol.

I really do laugh at all these camper comments and how lack of kill XP is bad. This game is not solely about kill stacking, and is not solely about your personal stats.

I can see some egos will be crushed. Some think they are far better than they are and will complain about how the system is ranking them incorrectly, and the genuine skilled players will not be dropping 15-20 bombs when they are playing equally skilled players.

People need to see how this plays out before squawking about how "bad" it is. Seems pretty balance to me.

Message 65 of 126 (494 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@Silz616Personally it's not about stats - it's about the woeful impact of certain kinds of incentive on general gameplay. The encouragement to hide and actively avoid fights in the elite queue made even the normal queue not worth playing for the first two weeks for me. The game became tedious, and that's not because I'm some attention deficit destroyer who wants to facetank squads and get 20bombs all day long - it's because I play the game to shoot and be shot at with guns : not hunt down teams who haven't even looted weapons and are just trying to avoid moving and making any noise.

I'm not worried about my rank being positively or negatively affected by how they score me : it will be what it will be.  I'm worried that the games will once again become drawn out snoozefests where I find as many people AVOIDING getting into any kind of fight as people actually playing with me. This is exactly what happened in the elite queue - there's no good reason to present a counter-incentive to getting more kills.

[edit] - I don't think the sky is falling because worst case : I'll just stop playing ranked like I did with the elite queue.  It just seems fairly obvious given evidence of the effect this kind of incentive had before of how this is likely to play out. 

Message 66 of 126 (484 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@d3adc3II wrote:

@aceuTivesseMiraI'm with you on this.

Imo, when I think of someone who hate camping:

- They are players who get stuck in the those 1990 games. They want the enemy stands in front of them, fight them in the most fair play combat. And when they got killed by someone behind? They will cry "this coward is a camper, he's less 'skillful' then me"
Lol they deny the fact that they were outsmarted by a smarter guy.

Please, go and play Quake, Unreal Tournament, Halflife. In those games, you don't have to use brain at all, only "pure skills" needed. 1990s titles were all bout "pure skills".

Sorry I'm wrong, new Contra game coming soon. Absolutely no campers in that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHEXT4HAJ_M

Luckily, there is no "crawl" button in Apex Legends lol

I don't want to derail the thread but I have to pick you up on this - if you can watch any quake final involving a top tier player like Rapha and say it's any less cerebral than ANY BR gameplay out there : I'd suggest you don't really know what you're looking at.  Search for "Rapha Quake Final" and watch literally ANY of the videos that come up, providing they're well commentated even if you're too young to have played any of them, you'll see there's a lot more going on than pouncing around facetanking each other.

You're right about one thing though : Skill was more the focus, generally.  Not always a benefit for casual players and the decline of playerbase for games like quake champions (not purely because of being mired by technical problems and poor server infrastructure) is evidence of it.

I'm not against players who aren't going to be punching at their weight in the top brackets having something other than the 1 out of X games won to aim for.  It's a good idea - but it DOESN'T make sense to start putting diminishing returns on beating other squads in fights in the higher brackets where it is categorically harder to do.

Message 67 of 126 (476 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@Anlbrd wrote:

@Silz616Personally it's not about stats - it's about the woeful impact of certain kinds of incentive on general gameplay. The encouragement to hide and actively avoid fights in the elite queue made even the normal queue not worth playing for the first two weeks for me. The game became tedious, and that's not because I'm some attention deficit destroyer who wants to facetank squads and get 20bombs all day long - it's because I play the game to shoot and be shot at with guns : not hunt down teams who haven't even looted weapons and are just trying to avoid moving and making any noise.

I'm not worried about my rank being positively or negatively affected by how they score me : it will be what it will be.  I'm worried that the games will once again become drawn out snoozefests where I find as many people AVOIDING getting into any kind of fight as people actually playing with me. This is exactly what happened in the elite queue - there's no good reason to present a counter-incentive to getting more kills.

[edit] - I don't think the sky is falling because worst case : I'll just stop playing ranked like I did with the elite queue.  It just seems fairly obvious given evidence of the effect this kind of incentive had before of how this is likely to play out. 

Wait and see.

I think once players find (and accept) their ranking, this will work out great.

They should not encourage any type of game play, but make all styles viable. Why do you think we are getting Wattson? As a counter to face tanking rushers. Movement already favours the mover, so anybody complaining about being killed by a camper needs to check their "skill" gauge lol.

I love fast paced matches. I also love the slower more tense battles. I like variety which Apex gives. One trick ponies may suffer, but it's up to players to adapt. Especially if they are self proclaimed "Elites" or high skilled players. Skill is not doing x1 thing over and over imo.

I think they will nail this, but it may not be perfected for a while as they tweak and analyse their data.

Message 68 of 126 (474 Views)

★★ Pro
@Silz616 I agree with you more than you know - I'd go further though and say that as well as not encouraging people to play in a specific way : they shouldn't put disincentives in place to 'counter' the way that most players seem to be going.

The culture that has evolved around Apex in an INCREDIBLY short time : is a fast-paced, furious fight in most games with lulls in the mid-game. The Respawn developers have said that they want to present 'alternatives to the current aggressive meta'. It's a meta for a reason : most people love playing this way. Stands to reason those same players will HATE the player-base being manipulated into slowing the thing down for badges/rewards etc. I sure did - and again : look at these threads, I'm not alone. There are players of every skill level from all over the planet saying the same thing.

I love slower tense battles too : but we're not talking about the same thing when we say 'camping' obviously.

I'm not talking about a team playing defensively to gain advantage or ameliorate a severe disadvantage in a fight and win : I'm talking about a team HIDING to actively avoid any kind of fight if they can help it to reach their top5 goal/elite streak badge/RP target for top10/whatever. The more teams do this - the less happens in the game. Rolling over 3 people huddled together wearing grey/no armor under a building is garbage to me, whether it grants me kills/RP/epeen points or not.

I'm GENUINELY not coming at this from a point of needing my ego feeding. The effect that the elite streak badge had on games available to me was HORRENDOUS. People didn't play smarter generally, they just hid.

Whatever the theory about it says : the reality in all of my experience and that of the players I know was that we saw a massive increase in people playing the game in a way that produced no good gameplay for anyone unless they enjoyed the tension of being discovered in a bush or not by someone they weren't even intending to fight.
Message 69 of 126 (466 Views)

★★ Pro

This is all academic anyway - I'll be playing the game as hard as I can : I'm passing the time here with anyone else not currently playing and passing on my opinions for what little they're worth to the devs/publishers.  I try to be well reasoned and without a selfish agenda outside of trying to improve the game.

It feels like something is getting lost in translation at the minute.  The developers must INTEND for things like the elite queue to have some kind of effect, and I simply can't believe it's to create the result that we see an exponential growth of the number of teams trying their absolute best to not get in on the game, quit when they hit top5 and re-queue.

Message 70 of 126 (457 Views)