Re: How Ranked Leagues Will Work in Season 2 of Apex Legends

by Anlbrd

Original Post

★★ Pro

It doesn't make sense to have the same standards across all the different tiers of play either.  A kill-cap in the Apex Predator bracket makes no sense, as there more than anywhere it will be harder to push out high kill games.

At the end game the only thing that should count is squadkills/wins and ideally the win should be a multiplier for your kill score.  You want people to have games, not waiting times.

Message 41 of 126 (940 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Everyone makes me laugh literally both the other br have the same type of skill based matchmaking

for all the players that think it should be 100 percent based off of dmg that makes me laugh who cares if you have 8 kills and 2k dmg and die with 10 teams left you died 10 teams are better than yours that game and that is coming from someone that has 3k dmg badge on most of the legends and both the guys I play with have the 20 kill badge but we know if we die for that game there could be 19 teams better than us for that game

just accept br are not based on gun skill there are different ways to play no I don’t camp for a top 5 and I won’t camp now for a top 3 because it is not fun to me if I don’t reach the top rank who cares I play this game for fun and there are plenty of people that don’t have the gun skill that I have but are better than me purely based on play style and you guys should accept that play style means a lot more than gun skill in br games

Message 42 of 126 (934 Views)

★★ Pro

@neillkorey The vast majority of everyone posting here plays apex to have gun battles. They're the audience. People hiding and avoiding what most of players choose Apex over other BRs for aren't the ones who should be catered for.  What this game does better than the other BRs is gunplay and fast paced action. 

If this isn't true across all leagues - I can confidently nail my flag to the mast by opining that it's true of the players who will be in the apex predator league, at least where I'm from.

Message 43 of 126 (925 Views)

★★ Novice

I would agree with you, if Apex had solos. To use your example; 3 allies drop in a zone and 3 enemies, which gives you a possible +3 kill RP but would leave both of your allies with +0 kill RP. So if we're maximizing, then each team should be striving for at least 15 kills per match, which is about avg for teams now and that's assuming perfect kill RP spread between allies but obviously that's very unlikely to be a common reality.

Honestly, I think they should up the total RP per kill to 2, raise kill RP cap to 10, make 10th+ reward 3 RP,  5th+ reward to 4+x(x = 1 minimum) for each kill over 5, and champion reward should be the same but + free admission to join your next ranked match. 

So essentially, winning the match means you pay no RP to play another, so if you continue to win you easily climb the ladder, but you ultimately NEED kills to gain any significant increase to your total RP and thus, higher tiers of play due to the requirements in RP to qualify for higher tiers increasing somewhat significantly. Say 100 RP or so- perhaps more- so if your the bush-warrior type who camps all game, you may indeed win but it's gonna take ages to climb the ladder with gains of only around 13 per match if the only kills you get are the final squad. I think some kind of system like this would most facilitate rewarding skill and the competitive aspect of "play" while rewarding the slow, campy, bush-warrior style of play in-kind, sloooowly. Lol

What do you think? 

Message 44 of 126 (897 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@N1telok00 wrote:

Earlier I was in class so I could not make that detailed of a response but now that I have time....

This system is already receiving negative feedback from all the players albeit being one of the most exciting modes to come to Apex. 

A lot of flaws with this system has already been pointed out but i'm just going to go back over them and speak on what I think and what I saw from the forum comments. 

First of all, this ranked system promotes camping, which is no fun. There were already many complaints about apex elite and how that system also promoted camping. While making it to the last couple of squads is certainly a goal that everyone aims for when they play  and being the champion squad is the ultimate goal (maybe) for me and I am sure many others feel the same way, this win means nothing without kills. If I won a game of apex by camping the whole game and winning with only 2-3 kills, I would not feel any glory from that whatsoever. The best combination of satisfaction will definitely come from winning a game while also accumulating a high number of kills. With this being said, the developers should definitely look to change their ranked system as soon as possible. Like everyone else has been saying, the kill cap encourages camping. Once a player reaches five kills, there is no longer a incentive to go out looking for other squads to fight. This means all the players will literally camp so they can get points earned from placement. This is going to result in slow-paced games which no one is going to want to play. Here is what an alternative system that I have thought of with consideration from other player's comments...

There should be several ways to earn ranking points. Most importantly, the kill cap needs to be removed from the game as soon as possible. This should be an easy fix for the developers since the new season has not released yet. Someone else mentioned that many of the skilled players average 10-15 kills a game, and this kill cap is going to limit their ability to truly show their skill. Players definitely care about higher kill games than wins. 

An alternative system might look like...

1. Earning RP based on damage done. Damage is also another coveted stat that players strive for. Granting RP for each milestone of damage done will encourage players to go out and fight instead of camping. 

500 DMG = 1 RP

1000 DMG = 2 RP

2000 DMG = 5 RP

etc... 

2. Points for kills may increase exponentially..

1 RP for first five kills,

2 RP for kills 6-10

3 RP for kills 11-15 and so on...

This will reward higher skilled players and their ability to push others and kill players. There is no skill in placing high especially if players are camping the whole game. 

There are a couple of other issues about this ranked system that I want to talk about, but I want to see how this system works first. But this point system definitely needs to be changed. I know this won't happen but even if the devs can take the kill cap off before the new season, this system would be so much better. 

I’ll just quote this so it has more exposure. This is the way it should be. There’s alot of this that make sense. 

I also exclaimed in the past that wins don’t matter to me... on threads where it was about winning/kills and people thought I was nuts. But I’d always say: what do I get for wins... almost nothing. I’d rather have high kill games. 

This ranked mode will be ‘fun’ to play. I don’t think in bronze IV we’ll see alot of campy gameplay like the first couple of days of ‘Legendary hunt’ (my god how ppl camped 😖). But progressing towards gold I think there will be a good amount of camping...

the reason I think that is that all matter of players are in bronze. Good as well as bad. And since season 2 will likely start in like half a day (almost 5am here) alot of ppl will just go for kills instead of wins. But starting from silver, the less experienced/‘lackluster’ (for lack of a better word which doesn’t sound positive) players will likely notice that the matches are becoming harder. In gold, it’ll be apparent for all non-average or below that they might’ve hit the ceiling without getting carried or with luck. So what’s gonna happen? A shift from getting kills to get a higher plausability for top placement  to ‘lets go for placement and see if we can get kills on the way’

all speculation of course, but time’ll tell

Message 45 of 126 (893 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@N1telok00 wrote:

This system is already receiving negative feedback from all the players albeit being one of the most exciting modes to come to Apex. 

First of all, this ranked system promotes camping, which is no fun.

While making it to the last couple of squads is certainly a goal that everyone aims for when they play  and being the champion squad is the ultimate goal (maybe) for me and I am sure many others feel the same way,

this win means nothing without kills. 

Like everyone else has been saying, the kill cap encourages camping. Once a player reaches five kills, there is no longer a incentive to go out looking for other squads to fight. This means all the players will literally camp so they can get points earned from placement.

This is going to result in slow-paced games which no one is going to want to play. Here is what an alternative system that I have thought of with consideration from other player's comments...

There should be several ways to earn ranking points. Most importantly, the kill cap needs to be removed from the game as soon as possible.

1. Earning RP based on damage done. Damage is also another coveted stat that players strive for. Granting RP for each milestone of damage done will encourage players to go out and fight instead of camping. 

500 DMG = 1 RP

1000 DMG = 2 RP

2000 DMG = 5 RP

2. Points for kills may increase exponentially..

1 RP for first five kills,

2 RP for kills 6-10

3 RP for kills 11-15 and so on...

This will reward higher skilled players and their ability to push others and kill players. There is no skill in placing high especially if players are camping the whole game. 

1.This system is already receiving negative feedback from all the players albeit being one of the most exciting modes to come to Apex. 

First, Don't assume thing like this.

2.First of all, this ranked system promotes camping, which is no fun.

It's not fun for you, it does not mean it's not fun for the rest. Take it or leave it: Camping is always part of BR genre. BR is not something like kill fest game mode. You want to kill as many ppl as you want? Okay , play deathmatch in Call of Duty. It's the genre for you.

Do you think the current trend is fun right now where half server drop at Skull town, another 1/4 drop somewhere near hotzone and drop ship? It's because of 1 thing: People does not care. They drop, die and start new game. There is no Penalty at all

Is it good? Everyone dies even the 2nd circle close in, it leave the mid game boring af to me.

3.While making it to the last couple of squads is certainly a goal that everyone aims for when they play  and being the champion squad is the ultimate goal (maybe) for me and I am sure many others feel the same way

Sorry, I'm not feeling the same way

It's the whole point of Battle Royale: Survival of the fittest. It's natural selection.

Someone will say: "You can kill as many as you want, Thank you for dong all the job for me but I'm the one who win the game"

4.this win means nothing without kills.

It means 12 RP. A cheap win is still la win. Ever watch a football match? 1-0 game is always better than 5-5 games. End result counts.

Like everyone else has been saying, the kill cap encourages camping. Once a player reaches five kills, there is no longer a incentive to go out looking for other squads to fight. This means all the players will literally camp so they can get points earned from placement.

I would say all the players will literally play SMART so they can get points earned from the placement

5.This is going to result in slow-paced games which no one is going to want to play.

As I said, don't make assumption. Apex will never be a slow-paced game even if it wants to. The mobility is so high in this game to allow it  happen.

There are slower BR games, no one will play it? lolz ALOT of people are playing those games everyday. Battlefield Firestorm? PUBG? Blackout?

Not BR, i can count more : Escape from Tarkov, Rainbow six Siege

You tell me which game are faster paced than Apex? which one does not have camping ? ALL OF THEM

6.There should be several ways to earn ranking points. Most importantly, the kill cap needs to be removed from the game as soon as possible.

I agreed. Kill cap should be removed, but it should cap at 12RP, the same as champion reward.

7.Earning RP based on damage done. Damage is also another coveted stat that players strive for. Granting RP for each milestone of damage done will encourage players to go out and fight instead of camping. 

It's ... easy to farm for damage. Give me a longbow and I can farm at least 1.5k dmg every match. It encourages even more defensive playstyle, with defensive heroes and longbow/G7. Do you want it to happen? It's flawed af.

And 1 last thing, what's your definition of highskilled player? There are many skills in this game: shooting, map awareness, situation awareness, strategy knowledge.

High kill game? lolz stop watching Twitch please, on average, players like Viss, Dizzy, Diego died 3,4 matches early before they can secure a 10+kills game. lolz

I guess you will cry if you play just one game of Escape from Tarkov.

Message 46 of 126 (876 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@EA_Blueberry Out of all BR games I played, I think Apex's ranked solution is the best. Good job Respawn.

Imo, it really strikes the balance between kill and win, camping and more aggressive playstyle.
Can't wait for ss2.
Message 47 of 126 (870 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Real question why would a rank make anyone play a way they don’t enjoy if you play games for pictures to put next to your legend and that is your only goal you have already lost at life just my opinion 

Message 48 of 126 (867 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@neillkorey "they" mean who? 2.6 mil of current players atm ? Just asking

Message 49 of 126 (853 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Anlbrd So the allegedly future predators don't like a leveled match where you can't just faceroll 3/4 of the match? Welp, play non-ranked and mow down n00bs then?
You'll very rarely be able to get more than 15 kills in a predator match anyway.

I'm sorry to break it to you but that's how leveled matches work in any competitive game.

In fighting games you can't just jump or dash forward openly and expect to land a meaty combo. High skill matches will revolve around tons of "boring" footsies.
MOBA's same thing. The lane phases will be very stuck and balanced. A snooze fest to many.
Hell, even MMA has tons of boring grabbings and not much action. Or soccer with the ball being passed around indefinitely until they can find an opening.

TL;DR: Welcome to high skill leveled matches. They are boring/tense AF.
Message 50 of 126 (848 Views)