Horde mode feedback

by benn1nat0r

Original Post

Horde mode feedback

★★★★ Expert

So what do you think about the new horde mode introduced as the new weekly mode?

Personally, I love it! Heart

I had a blast playing it so far, but I have also talked to someone who hates it.

In my opinion it's awesome because the plants and zombies have the exact same upgrades and abilities. What may have seemed like laziness to some is the biggest advantage to this mode. Everything is perfectly balanced. It is so relieving after all the times being bashed in an op zombie lobby in TV. Your armor increases when around your team. So it seems like it is favorable to stay around others, right?

Well yes, but actually no.

The characters can transform into their explosive variants and can vanquish large parts of the opposing team if they aren't attentive.

In my opinion it forces you to strategize more and I love it!

The npcs you can spawn also gain more importance because now they're actually strong compared to playable characters. 

The ability to set your next spawn point is extremely useful in Turf Takeover.

But again, you have to be carful because it can be destroyed. Therefore, you should put it as close to the capture point as you can while still having it be covered by something.

Again, another layer of strategy is added.

The only thing that bothers me so far have been the animations at the end. For some reason the characters aren't animated and just stand there randomly. Some even slowly started levitating and flying off into the distance.

Message 1 of 16 (898 Views)

Re: Horde mode feedback

★★★★★ Expert
@benn1nat0r I'm the opposite in that I hate it: zombie grenades not going off instantly like plants often leads to your death due to you going somewhere then it explodes in your face and plants equal win buttons in duels, telling the difference between player, bot, and spawnable is an absolute nightmare, the drones either run out of fuel before they reach their target or the bots just gun them down also yeti imp>dandelion by a mile, the spawn idea is neat but breaks the game and final objectibes greatly and fair warning if you leave it somewhere then die you go all the way back so you could go back to the start of the map, and the sound design/animations are really off a lot things are really quite and don't match up with whats happening.

Also the lag I've been experiencing at 39 ping is absolutely horrible in this gamemode like whats going on ive been getting kicked back to giddy park, falling through maps, and having textures straight up disappearing.
Message 2 of 16 (886 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@stukapooka The zombie grenades could be improved to fire instantly like the plants, I agree, but overall it still seems balanced because, as you mentioned, yeti imp is way smaller than dandelion.

The animations are off and need improving.
The other technical issues you mentioned I haven't experienced, playing on Central European servers. I think the lag you experience may only be because everyone is trying out the mode currently.
Message 3 of 16 (877 Views)

★★ Guide

I am very disappointed in the new characters. Played twice and that will be it!! Boring 

Message 4 of 16 (864 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@stukapooka Yeti imp is supposed to be harder to hit and dandelion can jump higher. The short fuel makes you strategize and prevents people from sitting in the back relying on the yeti imp and dandelion. However, I think that the damage is to high and makes the yeti imp and dandelion too overpowered.
Message 5 of 16 (770 Views)

★ Expert
@stukapooka 100% agree with biggest issue is everyone looks the same. I mean I already hate turf but this took it up 10 notches to passionate hatred. Got my stars and done with it.

Also noticed I had 10 invites immediately to group up which I didn't and that resulted in my next 5 games being savage beatings with all black plates on one side and me and brown plates on the other...fun.
Message 6 of 16 (691 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Gormey Same it really exposes the map design flaws in turf and as i mentioned the lag in this mode has been absolutely horrible for me even at low ping. Cant even get my stars as i usually get booted from the match 😑.
Message 7 of 16 (686 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@benn1nat0ri think its kind of fun, but it gets old quick. It also shares problems with PVP in general. Primary weapons are pretty slow at killing, which makes it a little too difficult to stop players from escaping, especially when sprinting. I don't think its very fun when my damage is reduced to 6 or 7 because armor. More primary damage would help. Fights are too slow, and frequently games are filled with camping and sniping.
The drones are pretty fun but also very unbalanced and annoying with having extra hp and speed. Helps make camping even more frustrating to play against. The spawn point abilities are cool.

You know what? These classes are perfect campers. They can set their spawn point. They can snipe because no dropoff. And they can send in drones from a safe distance. It truly captures the spirit of bfn.

Message 8 of 16 (631 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Pheesley So far I haven't encountered any camping in this mode except spawn camping, which is terrible in any mode.

I don't think the primary damage is too low. In my opinion it's fine the way it is. I always read comments on the forums that healing is way too strong (although sunflower has been nerfed into the abyss) and primary damage is too low.

But seriously, why does everyone think so?
You can vanquish a player in a few seconds without using special abilities. If primary weapons were to be buffed even more everyone would just keep dying every few second.

Everyone always mentions gw2 in this context. I wouldn't want bfn to be like gw2. I liked gw1, hated gw2 and love bfn.
I quit gw2 because it was unbalanced (mainly op imp) and to me it seemed like healing had no impact whatsoever.
Message 9 of 16 (558 Views)

★★ Pro
@benn1nat0r primary damage being too low and healing being to high is true. Healing slows down fights so much, and unless you have abilities, there's not much you can do except snipe from a safe distance. Its pretty unfun to fight. And sunflower isn't bad because her healing is so good.
When people mention gw2, its probably because gw2 is just designed better. Gw2 had low damage, only a little higher than BFN's. Movement was slow enough, and there wasn't any sprinting, so there wasn't constant hiding and running away. The damage and movement mixed together pretty well.
In BFN, they lower the damage even more, and then added sprinting, making movement faster, made healing faster, and added Overhealth. The damage is too low to combat any of this well, and it makes running and hiding constant.
Message 10 of 16 (519 Views)