Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

by Sekurity

Original Post

Highlighted

Re: Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

★★★ Apprentice
@NiteSkyLkr ,
I'm sure many of the frustrated gamers are tired of seeing the "No game launches without issues" argument as to make it be an excuse for the lack of thought, development, and oversight. It doesn't excuse the missing core features that are industry standard. Fallout 76 release for example was not just any game that needed a few fixes then it would be good to go. It was and still is a disaster. Anthem isn't that bad, but it still is up there.

As far as Destiny 1 and Destiny 2 having a worse loot system is ridiculous. Comparing Destiny 1 loot to Destiny 2 in itself is ridiculous. Destiny 1 had one of the better loot systems. You got a weapon that you really wanted with great base stats, then you had quite a few options to get the mod rolls. If you didn't get those mod rolls, you grinded till you got the god rolls. Destiny 1 sure as hell didn't have 47 different mod rolls it could possible roll, so it wasnt impossible to grind out what you wanted. Destiny 2's loot system is once you got the weapon, thats what you got. There was no need to get another one because it was the same stats....which is a loot system developed for kindergardeners who require participation trophies.
The complaints about weapons being nerfed or buffed proves my point about sloppy weapon development. Not sure why you brought it up.
As far as bringing would i prefer strongholds lasting 2 to 4 hours, im not really sure where you are going with this, unless you are somehow trying to say that Destiny took 2 to 4 hours to complete the equivalent to strongholds which if thats so, I'd hate to tell ya, but either your skills are severely lacking, or your group mates were.

As far as my statement about the open world being an illusion, I explained it quite clear. 80% of it us empty and useless. Mountain/cliff sides are built just as boundaries. Theres nothing up there. As far as the open terrain, most of it is empty with the random harvesting nodes here and there. Flying to point A to B on lets say a contract, you catch maybe 1 or 2 harvesting nodes that give you garbage materials and thats it. You spend most of your time flying past an empty world with a couple outpost of enemies/wildlife here and there. You have all the way at the top to ground level to fly in. But if theres no reason to explore and you are still going from point A to B but just a little higher, then yes, it's the illusion of an open world.

As far as the armor, this is a looter shooter with cosmetics. It's another missing "core feature" that you're able to look and customize the way you want. You shouldn't be looking exactly the same as another person just with different color. There should have been drops available from day one or give us more options in the store right off the bat. I will say that Anthem is the only game where I think the store is too small and needs more items for same.
Message 21 of 87 (178 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Wheres THIS game:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/anthem-game-will-be-a-totally-experience-time-1125095

'Anthem' Producer Promises Game Will Offer a "Totally Different Experience" Every Time It's Played

Also, to the OP; Its not an mmo:

https://www.vg247.com/2018/06/09/biowares-anthem-not-mmo/

Message 22 of 87 (188 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Guide

@Sekurity wrote:
@TROUBLEWITHTOIL,

Going from hard to GM1 to gear up was a bit rough as a storm.

I found it harder to get into Hard for the first time lol. I got to 30 day before yesterday, as Storm, and within a day, I was grinding GM2. Then again, I got a legendary on my rund in GM1 so that helped boost the hell out of my gear score lol

Message 23 of 87 (187 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice
WTF? I type out a proper response and it get flagged as Spam and removed? Screw you EA mods!
Message 24 of 87 (184 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Apprentice
@cake404 ,
Well you must be lucky or I've just been unlucky going into places that have already spawned. I was working on my Legionaire's quest and I was flying around for 5 minutes, using the map and still couldn't fine 1. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Message 25 of 87 (181 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@GrenadGoat wrote:

@Sekurity wrote:
@TROUBLEWITHTOIL,
That was another issue that I forgot to mention. The endgame gearing. Even though I am well past it, I can understand the issue because I went through it.
Going from hard to GM1 to gear up was a bit rough as a storm.
Going from purple to masterwork components is a CRAZY amount of armor and shield increase. Being full purple components, and getting 1 masterwork gives you MORE armor and shields than all 6 components combined....who thought this was ok? It only started feeling OK after I got 2 to 3 masterwork components. I'm no noob either, I enjoy difficult content. But it feels like they missed a step in the middle of epic to masterwork.

100% agree with  your post and points. The Storm is a great example of how "out of whack" the balance of armor/dmg is. I ran into the same issue having all epics and then boom, 1 MW changes how you play and how easy you die so dramatically. I too hope they work out things and Anthem somehow rises above the current state of complete poo that it's in. My game time is down dramatically as I just can't keep grinding for loot that frankly sucks or is a constant downgrade/gets deleted. 

Man, I dont even worry about dying as a Storm. As soon as the enemy looks in your direction, on just about any difficulty, you die. BUT you can melt faces with the best of them. I got a MW that increases electrical damage by 60% while hovering, I got Stasis Chain as a legendary, so now my E ability hits for like 50k and my Q ability hits for like 30-50k, so on GM2 Im one shotting most of the trash mobs, and two shotting the guys with shields

@Sekurity wrote:
@cake404,
Well you must be lucky or I've just been unlucky going into places that have already spawned. I was working on my Legionaire's quest and I was flying around for 5 minutes, using the map and still couldn't fine 1. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Ive been mostly doing GM1 and GM2 (far more recently) Tyrant Mine (cause thats my favorite so far, especially sitting on the ramp and blasting stuff)

Message 26 of 87 (174 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Guide

@Sekurity wrote:
@Shrimkins,
I hope so. Even with the "Act 1" release, I still most likely won't come back. It's just a couple more world missions. It will be something new for a couple days but still will have those basic issues that should have been fixed for launch.

Even with the cataclysm, the same will be true, and the cataclysm is what everyone's pointing to as the next thing that will save this game so it better be amazing

Message 27 of 87 (169 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Apprentice
@buddahcjcc ,
Casey Hudson can say all he wants that it's not an MMO. But it is literally that. A massively multiplayer game thats played online. (granted its only a 4 player in the world, but 12 in the launching bay plus they stated they were putting raids in the game which will end up being 8 - 12 players)

It's certainly no WoW MMO where you could in theory load in thousands of players into 1 area, but it's still an MMO.
Message 28 of 87 (168 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Guide

@Sekurity wrote:
@IxNoZxI,
I agree. If you are going into a Stronghold, all mobs should be required to die. If not, you get this issue where people will want to skip to the end or to boxes as quick as possible because as of right now, that's the best way to get loot sadly.

They also need to balance the strongholds. Right now its only efficient to run Tyrant Mines because pugs have no issues with it.

When Im getting shut out behind a glass wall just about every time I run HoR, yeah I wont be going there. I lost my first legendary AND my first MW to that *. Also being that 85% of the time you start at The Monitor (and have upwards of 25 ppl quit and join before he gets to half), and the rest of the time you start fresh with guys that are two shotting bosses then they leave before the Monitor.
Scar, has the same glass wall problem, and I like Tyrant Mine better.
Plus, the loots all the same no matter where you go right? It isnt weighted more in HoR vs Tyrant Mine right?

Message 29 of 87 (168 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Sekurity wrote:

As far as my statement about the open world being an illusion, I explained it quite clear. 80% of it us empty and useless. Mountain/cliff sides are built just as boundaries. Theres nothing up there. As far as the open terrain, most of it is empty with the random harvesting nodes here and there. Flying to point A to B on lets say a contract, you catch maybe 1 or 2 harvesting nodes that give you garbage materials and thats it. You spend most of your time flying past an empty world with a couple outpost of enemies/wildlife here and there. You have all the way at the top to ground level to fly in. But if theres no reason to explore and you are still going from point A to B but just a little higher, then yes, it's the illusion of an open world.

Man, you must be fun to be on a hiking trip with. “What is the point of all this walking just to sit down and have a sandwich? I could have just gotten a sandwich at a fast food joint. All this outdoor space is empty and useless.”

You find all kinds of stuff if you explore. Codex entries. Collectibles. Awesome views. Grabbits. It gives you a sense of scale of the world, and space to enjoy that whole flying mechanic. If exploring just isn’t your thing, that’s one thing, but I disagree that it’s “useless” or “an illusion” unless you can’t go five feet without running into mobs and harvest nodes to farm.

There are also better or worse places to be looking for specific harvest nodes. But you gotta explore to find them.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 30 of 87 (166 Views)
Twitter Stream