Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

by Sekurity
Reply

Original Post

Re: Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

★ Apprentice

@cake404 wrote:

       Man, you must be fun to be on a hiking trip with. “What is the point of all this walking just to sit down and have a sandwich? I could have just gotten a sandwich at a fast food joint. All this outdoor space is empty and useless.


Well there's the issue right there. If I signed up for a hiking trip, clearly I want to go hiking. (Or I was dragged in on it by my GF which then, yes, I would most likely be miserable, but that's beside the point)

 

Anthem is not a hiking simulator. Anthem is not Tomb Raider where you run around and find long lost collectibles. Anthem is not a petting zoo simulator. Anthem is not a scenery simulator. Anthem IS a looter shooter RPG.

Bringing up those silly points is irrelevant. I go hiking to hike. I sit down with my home made sandwich and eat it because I may enjoy a specific sandwich that no other place can make or I may have spare meat I would like to use up to save money and it's cheaper than fast food. I go to the fast food place when I'm hungry for it or I'm too tired to make anything. All of these points you brought up have purpose. An empty 80% empty world that you mostly fly past to get from objective to objective serves no purpose.

 

Message 51 of 87 (92 Views)

Re: Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

★ Apprentice
@TROUBLEWITHTOIL ,
Totally agree. That's why I was so shocked to hear that this game was 6 years in development. So many flaws, so many standard core features being purposefully NOT implemented, sloppy ramp up progression, (Going from purple to masterwork components, you have 36 times more armor and shields....WTF?!) poor weapon and gear design with there being a few clear winners and the rest are garbage. But I'm just repeating myself at this point.
I want it to get better. I hope it does.
Message 52 of 87 (88 Views)

Re: Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

★ Apprentice

@TROUBLEWITHTOIL wrote:

 

 

phantasy star online was a mmo and it followed almost this exact formula.. but with way more+better drops.

 


What an amazing game for it's time. Phantasy Star 4 was my favorite RPG in the Sega Genesis days. 

Message 53 of 87 (83 Views)

Re: Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

★ Apprentice

@TROUBLEWITHTOIL wrote:

@SekurityI see it as they stole a lot of "cool" features from a lot of different games without comprehending WHY the features worked for those games. the loot especially


I wouldn't say they "stole" features. I know I'm using the phrase a lot but these are just features that are industry standards on all games because they work and are common sense to have. 

Message 54 of 87 (81 Views)

Re: Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

★★ Pro

Sorry but I think a lot of the reasons the OP gave are guff. The map is not 80% uninhabited, I just completed a Freeplay session for 35 mins and did 7 events, 3 of those with other players involved, dodged and killed a plethora of enemies everywhere, received 2 Legendary's, 1 from a random chest, and 8 MW's and a bunch of rares and epics, hardly worthless loot. The only thing that was missing was a Titan or two, in this run anyway.

 

My favourite Legendary gun has no damage modifiers on it at all yet outdoes my 250% dmg Thunderbolt of Yvenia, I personally think too many focus on the inscriptions, they aren't necessary and are just icing on the cake, I have been living in GM2 for the last week with no issues. I find the perks and buffs to be extremely helpful when used with my abilities and combos. 

 

While a waypoint in Freeplay would be handy, I don't find it a gamebreaker simply because it isn't there.

 

I also found the story engrossing and cant wait for more to be revealed.

 

I find it to be irrelevant regarding the development time, so many keep bringing it up but I find it reasonable considering they were working with an engine that wasn't designed for it and a company venturing into new territory. So the game has bugs, most of those are on PC which is always going to have more problems given the different architectures and software profiles on so many different builds, it runs fine on Xbox and I am experiencing minimal issues. In my opinion most of the people bringing up the 6yr period of development have no coding or development background and are really just copying/pasting something someone else has said without truly understanding it.

 

 

Message 55 of 87 (80 Views)

Re: Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@Haruchai01 wrote:

Sorry but I think a lot of the reasons the OP gave are guff. The map is not 80% uninhabited, I just completed a Freeplay session for 35 mins and did 7 events, 3 of those with other players involved, dodged and killed a plethora of enemies everywhere, received 2 Legendary's, 1 from a random chest, and 8 MW's and a bunch of rares and epics, hardly worthless loot. The only thing that was missing was a Titan or two, in this run anyway.

 

My favourite Legendary gun has no damage modifiers on it at all yet outdoes my 250% dmg Thunderbolt of Yvenia, I personally think too many focus on the inscriptions, they aren't necessary and are just icing on the cake, I have been living in GM2 for the last week with no issues. I find the perks and buffs to be extremely helpful when used with my abilities and combos. 

 

While a waypoint in Freeplay would be handy, I don't find it a gamebreaker simply because it isn't there.

 

I also found the story engrossing and cant wait for more to be revealed.

 

I find it to be irrelevant regarding the development time, so many keep bringing it up but I find it reasonable considering they were working with an engine that wasn't designed for it and a company venturing into new territory. So the game has bugs, most of those are on PC which is always going to have more problems given the different architectures and software profiles on so many different builds, it runs fine on Xbox and I am experiencing minimal issues. In my opinion most of the people bringing up the 6yr period of development have no coding or development background and are really just copying/pasting something someone else has said without truly understanding it.

 

 


A lot of my reasons are nonsense? Interesting..... well lets pick these off one by one shall we?

 

Yes, the majority of the map is uninhabited. Maybe not exactly 80%, but I'll be generous and bump it down to 70%. I don't know why i have to keep repeating this point to people. It's simple. You are flying past emptiness. Here and there you just down to a node (that gives mostly garbage except for that very rare chance of a masterwork ember) or see a pack of mobs/world event. But the majority of it is empty. Cliffsides have no purpose to explore. Top of mountains for the most part have nothing except maybe a couple nodes, but even then, you could have found them flying ground level and be near more nodes rather than flying up to the top of somewhere.

 

Just because "you just completed a 35 min freeplay doing a bunch of world missions, got a bunch of loot" and you happened to log out and then check forums right away...because "reasons." I'm just going to say it right now, I call BS. But let's take this as truth, world events spawn at specific locations throughout the world. If you are near one, and it happens to spawn, then sure, everything's great. It isn't happening for the majority of the people. (Unless they secretly up'd the spawn rates of world events, cause even using that map the one player created to show where the spawn points are, I still wasn't getting anywhere near your "super kosher 35 minute freeplay with tons of loot." Let's not forget that that loot was all garbage that was just deleted or you would have mentioned that you even got an upgrade. But more to the point, not everyone is experiencing

 

Your "favorite gun" you didn't mention which i find weird, yet you mentioned your 250% damage Thunderbolt. I like doing the best damage I can do. That requires the best damage weapon. Someone who has a "favorite gun" can just like it for reasons other than doing top damage.

 

In my original post, I never said anything about anything being game breaking. I've specified that I enjoy the game and I am a fanboy who wants to see the game succeed.

 

The reason why these "people bringing up the 6yr period of development have no coding or development background and are really just copying/pasting something someone else has said without truly understanding it" is because it has absolutely nothing to do with having any coding or development background. I never once mentioned anything about bugs. I am using the same tired phrase again, but this game...is....missing....core...features....that...are....industry...staaaaandaaards. If almost everything game has these simple common sense features, then they work....simple as that.

 

So hopefully next time, you'll fully read and comprehend my OP.

Message 56 of 87 (72 Views)

Re: Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

★★★★★ Apprentice

You can't make up an excuse for 3 Strongholds of which 1 is a _completely_ recycled story mission.

Message 57 of 87 (70 Views)

Re: Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

★ Apprentice
@SalarianLawrence ,
So true. That I don't mind so much personally because I use that stronghold to get my dailies done quick on easy because it's really short Standard smile
Message 58 of 87 (67 Views)

Re: Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

★★ Pro

@Sekurity wrote:

@Haruchai01 wrote:

Sorry but I think a lot of the reasons the OP gave are guff. The map is not 80% uninhabited, I just completed a Freeplay session for 35 mins and did 7 events, 3 of those with other players involved, dodged and killed a plethora of enemies everywhere, received 2 Legendary's, 1 from a random chest, and 8 MW's and a bunch of rares and epics, hardly worthless loot. The only thing that was missing was a Titan or two, in this run anyway.

 

My favourite Legendary gun has no damage modifiers on it at all yet outdoes my 250% dmg Thunderbolt of Yvenia, I personally think too many focus on the inscriptions, they aren't necessary and are just icing on the cake, I have been living in GM2 for the last week with no issues. I find the perks and buffs to be extremely helpful when used with my abilities and combos. 

 

While a waypoint in Freeplay would be handy, I don't find it a gamebreaker simply because it isn't there.

 

I also found the story engrossing and cant wait for more to be revealed.

 

I find it to be irrelevant regarding the development time, so many keep bringing it up but I find it reasonable considering they were working with an engine that wasn't designed for it and a company venturing into new territory. So the game has bugs, most of those are on PC which is always going to have more problems given the different architectures and software profiles on so many different builds, it runs fine on Xbox and I am experiencing minimal issues. In my opinion most of the people bringing up the 6yr period of development have no coding or development background and are really just copying/pasting something someone else has said without truly understanding it.

 

 


A lot of my reasons are nonsense? Interesting..... well lets pick these off one by one shall we?

 

Yes, 80% of the map is uninhabited. I don't know why i have to keep repeating this point to people. It's simple. You are flying past emptiness. Here and there you just down to a node or see a pack of mobs. But the majority of it is empty. Cliffsides have no purpose to explore. Top of mountains for the most part have nothing except maybe a couple nodes, but even then, you could have found them flying ground level and be near more nodes rather than flying up to the top of somewhere.

 

Just because "you just completed a 35 min freeplay doing a bunch of world missions, got a bunch of loot" and you happened to log out and then check forums right away...because "reasons." I'm just going to say it right now, I call BS. But let's take this as truth, world events spawn at specific locations throughout the world. If you are near one, and it happens to spawn, then sure, everything's great. It isn't happening for the majority of the people. (Unless they secretly up'd the spawn rates of world events, cause even using that map the one player created to show where the spawn points are, I still wasn't getting anywhere near your "super kosher 35 minute freeplay with tons of loot." Let's not forget that that loot was all garbage that was just deleted or you would have mentioned that you even got an upgrade. But more to the point, not everyone is experiencing

 

Your "favorite gun" you didn't mention which i find weird, yet you mentioned your 250% damage Thunderbolt. I like doing the best damage I can do. That requires the best damage weapon. Someone who has a "favorite gun" can just like it for reasons other than doing top damage.

 

In my original post, I never said anything about anything being game breaking. I've specified that I enjoy the game and I am a fanboy who wants to see the game succeed.

 

The reason why these "people bringing up the 6yr period of development have no coding or development background and are really just copying/pasting something someone else has said without truly understanding it" is because it has absolutely nothing to do with having any coding or development background. I never once mentioned anything about bugs. I am using the same tired phrase again, but this game...is....missing....core...features....that...are....industry...staaaaandaaards. If almost everything game has these simple common sense features, then they work....simple as that.

 

So hopefully next time, you'll fully read and comprehend my OP.


The first thing I will respond to is your ludicrous assumption that I was talking BS, I could just as easily state that you are talking BS, in fact I think I will, I jump on the forums in between sessions rather than play back to back freeplay sessions, the rest of your garbage, is frankly that, just garbage simply stated to align with your salty bitterness. I fully comprehend your OP, you couch insults towards the game as "honest opinions", they are not in my opinion. You don't seem to comprehend that the time in development has nothing... to....do... with....it. "Industry standards", you mean like locked loot boxes, P2W etc, 20 hr completion games? You use terms you have no understanding of. You claim to be a fanboy but you are lying, you only use that mechanism to try and add weight to bitter subjective arguments, like "I don't mean to offend but".

 

Frankly go cry somewhere else, you don't like the game at the moment, don't play it. Cant handle opposing views in a forum go start a blog. You offer nothing constructive that hasn't already been said and frankly better than your shoddy attempt.

Message 59 of 87 (58 Views)

Re: Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

★★★★ Guide

100% agree and have brought up most in the past, i left weeks ago and it seems nothing got better since.

 

Honestly this has to be the worst game of 2019..

 

 

Message 60 of 87 (52 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help