Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

by Sekurity

Original Post

Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

★ Apprentice

Before I get the whole "Well then leave *, good riddance!" from most likely everyone who will post a reply, hear me out.

I was extremely excited for this game. What's not to love, you're Iron man with different suits and you get to fly in an "open world" with a bunch of weapon options, and it's Bioware who spent 6 years creating the game has a great deliverance of story. Well, after a couple hundred hours played, the excitement came crashing to a halt. I still want this game to succeed, but I am at the point where it has become a chore to log in because it's the same thing over and over again and it's only been out for a month. So I'll be taking a hiatus until a lot more content and fixes are implemented.

I think the main thing that is shocking is that the claim was it took 6 years to make.....were there only 5 people working on this?

The story was OK, but generic.

The so called "open world" gives you the illusion that it's a free roaming open world. It's fun to fly around, but 80% of the map is unpopulated and is absolutely worthless to explore like up on cliffs, and even under water where if you're lucky, MAY find a chest full of useless loot, which brings me to my next point.

The loot.....the loot is the poorest loot system I have ever experienced in a MMORPG which I've played a lot of. 47 different inscriptions to rolls? Out of the 47 inscriptions, really only 15 of them are worthy of being decent. Then after fighting for getting the rolls you want, you need to get a nice amount roll on that inscription. Also the drop rates are abysmal.

(I know it's changing, but it should have been in at launch)

No stat page......(I know it's coming, but it should have been in at launch)

No customizing the color of guns....in a looter shooter....(I know it's coming, but it should have been in at launch)

Complete lack of armor customization in the base game. (I know it's coming, but it should have been in at launch)

Completely unbalanced endgame where it's only efficient to play at the lowest grandmaster setting (I know it's changing, but it should have been in at launch)

Freeplay is extremely empty, lonely, and deserted. You're unable to put a waypoint on a map. You don't know where the world events are, so you have to go out of game and look at maps done by players to look for the spawn points. (I know it's coming, but it should have been in at launch)

Useless and lazily thought out weapons and masterwork abilities/buffs on more than half the masterworks. (I know more is coming, but more should have been in at launch)

Do you see a pattern here with the (I know its coming)? The only logical explanation was EA forced the deadline to an empty and mediocre game.

I think Datmodz said it best in the simplest phrase. "Anthem is missing so many core game features that are an industry standard." Most of these issues are common sense and are truly industry standard and choosing NOT to put these simple features in at launch is beyond me. It's like the Devs have never played any looter shooter or RPGs.

But anyways, I am posting this because I want the game to get better, but the Devs need to hear what the issues are rather than me saying to myself the game is boring and just leave without explanation. I'm fully aware that I'll get the immature nerdragers who are lying to themselves and think everything's great, but I'm willing to deal with it if that means there's a chance to fix Anthem.

Message 1 of 87 (976 Views)

Re: Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

★ Pro

Sorry to see you go, and hope you come back as Anthem improves.

Message 2 of 87 (963 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Daethena ,
I definitely will. Standard smile
Message 3 of 87 (949 Views)

★★ Guide

@Sekurityim out too for pretty much the same reasons. theres nothing motivating about getting kicked in the balls repeatedly on a daily basis.

Message 4 of 87 (946 Views)

★ Apprentice
@TROUBLEWITHTOIL ,
That was another issue that I forgot to mention. The endgame gearing. Even though I am well past it, I can understand the issue because I went through it.
Going from hard to GM1 to gear up was a bit rough as a storm.
Going from purple to masterwork components is a CRAZY amount of armor and shield increase. Being full purple components, and getting 1 masterwork gives you MORE armor and shields than all 6 components combined....who thought this was ok? It only started feeling OK after I got 2 to 3 masterwork components. I'm no noob either, I enjoy difficult content. But it feels like they missed a step in the middle of epic to masterwork.
Message 5 of 87 (927 Views)

★ Apprentice
I think you give a pretty realistic assessment of the state of things. There are lots of issues that should be standard for a game like this that were just overlooked. Definitely feels like they were forced to release in this current lackluster state.

I'm having fun playing for now but if I had logged 200 hours I would probably take a break too. I'm just hoping all the changes coming in april/may will be sufficient enough to keep me around.

I really like this game. The combat system is a lot of fun and the concept is great. Just really poor execution right now with a lack of content. Lets just hope the dev team can deliver on their promises.
Message 6 of 87 (908 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I love the game and play it with friends and family but yes there are problems that RUIN the game. I haven't ranked up in 2 weeks, I am stuck at 718. No legendaries drop on GM 2. None. No support drops at all on masterwork or higher. Prolly supposed to build that idk. But for me that's not it. Getting crashed to the Xbox dashboard every day sucks. Yep I rejoin but loose out on loot. That's not it tho. 

It's the damn rubber band. I hate it! Why does everyone skip half the enimies? I've gotten Legendaries from them! Yesterday the game CRASHED when someone a hole ran ahead. Lost my chest loot. Lost my super .Lost it and rage quit. REMOVE THIS! NO EXCUSES. REMOVE IT OR BLOCK PEOPLE FROM PULLING US AHEAD. HATE THAT SO MUCH.

Message 7 of 87 (899 Views)

★★ Guide

Well then, leave! Good riddance!

(I can't leave your expectations just hanging out there, I'm not BioWare or anything XD )

I usually reply with "we'll keep the lights on for ya" but the game wont even start... so, who knows about the lights? 

Message 8 of 87 (879 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Sekurity wrote:
@TROUBLEWITHTOIL,
That was another issue that I forgot to mention. The endgame gearing. Even though I am well past it, I can understand the issue because I went through it.
Going from hard to GM1 to gear up was a bit rough as a storm.
Going from purple to masterwork components is a CRAZY amount of armor and shield increase. Being full purple components, and getting 1 masterwork gives you MORE armor and shields than all 6 components combined....who thought this was ok? It only started feeling OK after I got 2 to 3 masterwork components. I'm no noob either, I enjoy difficult content. But it feels like they missed a step in the middle of epic to masterwork.

100% agree with  your post and points. The Storm is a great example of how "out of whack" the balance of armor/dmg is. I ran into the same issue having all epics and then boom, 1 MW changes how you play and how easy you die so dramatically. I too hope they work out things and Anthem somehow rises above the current state of complete poo that it's in. My game time is down dramatically as I just can't keep grinding for loot that frankly sucks or is a constant downgrade/gets deleted. 

Message 9 of 87 (875 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Shrimkins ,
I hope so. Even with the "Act 1" release, I still most likely won't come back. It's just a couple more world missions. It will be something new for a couple days but still will have those basic issues that should have been fixed for launch.
Message 10 of 87 (867 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help