Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Honest opinion from a fanboy who is leaving Anthem

by Sekurity

Original Post

★★★★ Guide

@Sekurity wrote:
@buddahcjcc,
Casey Hudson can say all he wants that it's not an MMO. But it is literally that. A massively multiplayer game thats played online. (granted its only a 4 player in the world, but 12 in the launching bay plus they stated they were putting raids in the game which will end up being 8 - 12 players)

It's certainly no WoW MMO where you could in theory load in thousands of players into 1 area, but it's still an MMO.

even 8 to 12 players is not an MMO. Unless you consider Mechwarrior Online to be an MMO cause they have 24 ppl in a match.
The definition of MMO is degrading completely is THIS is considered one now

Message 31 of 87 (103 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@cake404 wrote:

@Sekurity wrote:

As far as my statement about the open world being an illusion, I explained it quite clear. 80% of it us empty and useless. Mountain/cliff sides are built just as boundaries. Theres nothing up there. As far as the open terrain, most of it is empty with the random harvesting nodes here and there. Flying to point A to B on lets say a contract, you catch maybe 1 or 2 harvesting nodes that give you garbage materials and thats it. You spend most of your time flying past an empty world with a couple outpost of enemies/wildlife here and there. You have all the way at the top to ground level to fly in. But if theres no reason to explore and you are still going from point A to B but just a little higher, then yes, it's the illusion of an open world.

Man, you must be fun to be on a hiking trip with. “What is the point of all this walking just to sit down and have a sandwich? I could have just gotten a sandwich at a fast food joint. All this outdoor space is empty and useless.”

You find all kinds of stuff if you explore. Codex entries. Collectibles. Awesome views. Grabbits. It gives you a sense of scale for the world, and space to enjoy that whole flying mechanic. If exploring just isn’t your thing, that’s one thing, but I disagree that it’s “useless” or “an illusion” unless you can’t go five feet without running into mobs and harvest nodes to farm.

There are also better or worse places to farm for a particular types of the harvest nodes. But you gotta explore to find them.

Arguably you had most of that the last time I looked at No Mans Sky but thats nothing to emulate

Message 32 of 87 (114 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@NiteSkyLkr wrote:

Well...as far as I know and as long as I've been gaming...I've never seen or herd of any game that came out WITHOUT issue or parts that needs change, tweaks or an overhaul.

That SHOULDNT be acceptable, but noone stops buying their products so
But MOST games launch with SOME kind of end game larger than "get loot"
And theres at LEAST some kind of system where youre gearing up to run this new content, not the same 3 instances over and over

Message 33 of 87 (112 Views)

Champion

NMS has procedurally generated environments, from what I understand. Anthem has a handcrafted world. Pretty different things.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 34 of 87 (111 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Sekurity wrote:
@NiteSkyLkr,
I'm sure many of the frustrated gamers are tired of seeing the "No game launches without issues" argument as to make it be an excuse for the lack of thought, development, and oversight. It doesn't excuse the missing core features that are industry standard. Fallout 76 release for example was not just any game that needed a few fixes then it would be good to go. It was and still is a disaster. Anthem isn't that bad, but it still is up there.

As far as Destiny 1 and Destiny 2 having a worse loot system is ridiculous. Comparing Destiny 1 loot to Destiny 2 in itself is ridiculous. Destiny 1 had one of the better loot systems. You got a weapon that you really wanted with great base stats, then you had quite a few options to get the mod rolls. If you didn't get those mod rolls, you grinded till you got the god rolls. Destiny 1 sure as hell didn't have 47 different mod rolls it could possible roll, so it wasnt impossible to grind out what you wanted. Destiny 2's loot system is once you got the weapon, thats what you got. There was no need to get another one because it was the same stats....which is a loot system developed for kindergardeners who require participation trophies.
The complaints about weapons being nerfed or buffed proves my point about sloppy weapon development. Not sure why you brought it up.
As far as bringing would i prefer strongholds lasting 2 to 4 hours, im not really sure where you are going with this, unless you are somehow trying to say that Destiny took 2 to 4 hours to complete the equivalent to strongholds which if thats so, I'd hate to tell ya, but either your skills are severely lacking, or your group mates were.

As far as my statement about the open world being an illusion, I explained it quite clear. 80% of it us empty and useless. Mountain/cliff sides are built just as boundaries. Theres nothing up there. As far as the open terrain, most of it is empty with the random harvesting nodes here and there. Flying to point A to B on lets say a contract, you catch maybe 1 or 2 harvesting nodes that give you garbage materials and thats it. You spend most of your time flying past an empty world with a couple outpost of enemies/wildlife here and there. You have all the way at the top to ground level to fly in. But if theres no reason to explore and you are still going from point A to B but just a little higher, then yes, it's the illusion of an open world.

As far as the armor, this is a looter shooter with cosmetics. It's another missing "core feature" that you're able to look and customize the way you want. You shouldn't be looking exactly the same as another person just with different color. There should have been drops available from day one or give us more options in the store right off the bat. I will say that Anthem is the only game where I think the store is too small and needs more items for same.

Where are the colors on the paint scheme? All I get is the materials to play with

Message 35 of 87 (110 Views)

★ Apprentice
@cake404 ,
I'm stating in general. Of course there's codex entries and what not. You eventually find them because you are brought to them eventually through doing contracts and what not.
Harvest nodes do have the same spawn points at times, but not always unless you are talking about the caves you zone in like the Metal nodes in that one cave that is popular. But other than that, harvesting you get mostly base, green, or blues. Which are all pointless if you are at end game. Which another suggestion i put out was let us take 10 green materials into 1 blue, 10 blue into 1 purple, ETC.
Message 36 of 87 (108 Views)

Champion

@buddahcjcc wrote:

Where are the colors on the paint scheme? All I get is the materials to play with

If you pick the paintable materials (metallic panel, hardened plastic, artificial leather, etc), you get to choose a color instead of metal type. On PC you click the little tab on the side that shows the color. On consoles, not really sure, but there has to be a way to do it as well.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 37 of 87 (101 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@buddahcjcc,
If you are using a metal material on your armor, you can only pick different colored metal as default like nickel, brass, ETC. Except for the preorder legion of dawn armor which is metal and you can actually color it.
If you are using anything else, to the very right of the "box" there is a rectangular box at the end where it will show a color. Click that small box and it will pop of the color window where you can pick a preset color or create your own. If this doesn't explain it well, just look up on youtube "Anthem how to color your armor" and there are plenty of videos that will show you what Im trying to explain.

Message 38 of 87 (100 Views)

★ Guide

@cake404 wrote:

I can generally see where you’re coming from on most other points, but this one confuses me. I keep seeing people that say they can’t find any world events in freeplay, but any time I play – they’re frickin everywhere. Like, literally, I almost wish there were fewer of them, because sometimes I just want to explore solo, but everywhere I go there is someone calling in for help fending off Scars, or a relic that needs getting silenced, Dominion gating in, or who knows what else. Especially in the area around the fort, in the Honor Valley, etc. I think there may be fewer events spawning the farther you go into the wilderness, but even then, there tends to be something happening anywhere I go.

I’m not saying you’re making this up, but I feel like you’re either experiencing a bug, or triggering some kind of game mechanic that suppresses the generation of the world events. In particular, a lot of people assume that world events just happen randomly all over the map and you need to be flying all over the map looking for them. But I think the way it actually works is the other way around – only the areas around the players are actually loaded on the server, and you may need to slow down and enjoy the scenery for a bit before the server decides to generate an event near you.

There may also be some sort of a system where the server communicates with all the clients in the area and tries to ensure everyone has all the relevant resources loaded before the event actually appears. If someone in freeplay has the game installed on a slow HDD that is barely keeping up with loading the basic scenery, that could result in issues where the world events never appear because they never get properly loaded on the client side.

aye...noticed that too. often if you just finished killing some random mobs and you move a few meters, there is a world event, even though thats where you just came from

Message 39 of 87 (97 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Same here, really.

I defended the game in the demos, "in the release build, all this is fixed!" and tried my best to convince my EA hating friends it wouldn't be a dumpster fire. Lo and behold, many told you so's came my way.

Then I had to convince myself "its just issues caused by the day 1 patch, they'll fix it within a week".. After two weeks or so, I realized it will take much longer to fix the problems that keep popping up, and no one from EA was talking.

The loot didn't really bother me, not as much as the extreme frame rate drops, but then I finally got the Endless Siege I was after. I was so happy to finally have a massive upgrade from my epic Torrent, and then I used it in a mission. I actually felt weaker. It was like I was being punished for upgrading.

I really, really, really want this game to be good. I want the loot to be satisfying to acquire and to use, but it's not there just yet. So I'm gonna sit back, play something else for a while, and wait for Anthem to hit that point.

Message 40 of 87 (95 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help