Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Heavy Artillery Colossus - Should That Be Part of This Javelin?

by Alteravitea

Original Post

Heavy Artillery Colossus - Should That Be Part of This Javelin?

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

When I first saw footage of Anthem the thing that stuck out to me as the absolute coolest was when the Colossus used its mortar to obliterate a group of enemies. That was the one thing that made me go "I really want to do that". What can I say, artillery adds a bit of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. I just really enjoy any game that lets me lay down indirect fire at a distance. 

Actually playing the demo I found that the Colossus really wasn't that spectacular in that role though. The way its health and weapons work make it very strong when you aggressively dive into the enemies so you can pick up as many health and ammo drops as possible, and offering fire support is something the storm does infinitely better. The Burst Mortar, which is theoretically capable of the most widespread bombardment is also so inaccurate over long range that the shells often don't hit anything at all, and is much better up close where it's spread is minimizes so all four shells can hit the same target. So, the dream of the artillery Colossus didn't look that rosy in the demo. I considered the Storm of course, but it's just not the same. Conjuring up elemental forces while floating around just doesn't quite scratch that same itch as the whistling of shells and the almighty thump of ordnance. 

While we don't know how the final game will shape up in regards to ability balance, I am wondering: Should a heavy artillery build be considered part of the role of the Colossus?

They have already stated that there will be more Javelins in the future, so perhaps wanting to play as heavy artillery would be better served by a whole new design that is completely focused on heavy cannons of different kinds and is built to bunker down and rain fire on enemies from a distance. On the other hand, the Colossus does have the shoulder artillery, and its ultimate is also a massive cannon, so maybe adding a new Javelin that deepens that role would create too much overlap. 

To really make the Colossus shine in the artillery role it would need to be a bit less dependent on constantly gathering drops though, maybe by being able to utilize its shield better while firing at a distance, and the various mortars and cannons you can wield just need to be more useful without the need to detonate a combo to see meaningful damage out of them (Or maybe make them more able to set up a combo by themselves somehow).

What would be the best way to give people who don't want to be a wizard who shoots fire and lightning, but heavy artillery that bombards the enemy with explosives a satisfying play experience? 

Message 1 of 9 (517 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I absolutely think heavy artillery or just heavy fire support should be a viable way to build the colossus, and it should be distinct from the more brawly tank build. The javelin has so much itemization billed for this kind of gameplay--the aforementioned mortars, "siege artillery" in the assault launcher slot, and of course our autocannons and grenade launchers--that not being able to build a colossus as a self-propelled howitzer would be ridiculous.

Since the devs have stated every javelin can be built both offensively or defensively, I'm hopeful that these builds will be made as viable as the brawler. I suppose we'll see at launch. If they aren't, though, I'd consider that priority #1 for getting colossus back on track.

Message 2 of 9 (501 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Agreed, I'd really like to see this as a viable build option for the Colossus as well, and I really hope they make it happen, I just feel like the combo system pigeonholes you into always going the elemental damage route if you want to see the really big damage. For the Colossus you can straight up cause a bigger explosion by setting someone on fire and then zapping them than by firing your shoulder mortar. That's kind of meh.

Message 3 of 9 (496 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Really thoughtful post, thank you.

not sure what to add. Using mortars is fun, but you’ve pointed out the issues. The biggest problem with the Colossus is that the effective playstyle is quite narrow. What you’ve described is part of that. I don’t know what the solution is. The devs have indicated they aren’t happy with the current state of things (many, many people complained about Colossus in the demo). I’m kind of hoping they allow ability use with the shield up, which could make using some of the artillery abilities a lot easier to use effectively. Guess we will see.

Message 4 of 9 (456 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Man this entire thread is so true. I absolutely love the artillery side but its SOOOOOOOOO bad compared to using flamethrower + lightning. I mean I guess you can use acid + seige but it would be nice to have one of our decent hard hitting skills also be a primer instead of having to rely on melee range to prime.. The flame mortar sure its ranged but hitting moving targets with it is absolute cancer. be nice is maybe siege cannon did fire tick dmg and then we could use one of the other mortars for detonating ect Would also be nice if the mortars had a quick fire way so we can just double tap the key and it goes out without having to aim it.

Message 5 of 9 (361 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Alteravitea wrote:

Man this entire thread is so true. I absolutely love the artillery side but its SOOOOOOOOO bad compared to using flamethrower + lightning. I mean I guess you can use acid + seige but it would be nice to have one of our decent hard hitting skills also be a primer instead of having to rely on melee range to prime.. The flame mortar sure its ranged but hitting moving targets with it is absolute cancer. be nice is maybe siege cannon did fire tick dmg and then we could use one of the other mortars for detonating ect Would also be nice if the mortars had a quick fire way so we can just double tap the key and it goes out without having to aim it.

Firewall mortar is an ordance launcher primer, but I could'nt find anyone on the DEMO so I'm not sure it is still in the game.

I was planning to make a build with it, priming and detonating at a distance.

Message 6 of 9 (349 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Firewall mortar does work, but it's still stupid that you can cause a way bigger explosion by setting enemies on fire than by just firing explosives at them. It's the best you can do to play artillery right now, but it just isn't the same as lobbing some nice big crater makers at the enemy. 

Message 7 of 9 (340 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

yeah I know its a primer but its 99% of the time impractical to use (only time I've ever seen it actually viable is in tyrant mine blocking the bridge / blocking the spawns but your flamethrower / coil is way more practical for doing the other 99% of that dungeon imo it isnt worth bringing 1 thing for 2 very select fights that the other tool works well in and still works amazing for those situations. 

The recent thing my main groups been doing though has opened up a bunch of stuff as we run 2 storm 1 intercept 1 colossus is having 1 storm run all primers and then it opens me up to using seige cannon and the high explosive mortar and its actually kinda fun works great for GM 1 / 2 as well just causes you can pick off large amounts of things to top with the detonator nade launcher you just fill the entire battlefield with explosives going off all the time. 

So I guess the arty side of things we can be more viable if we rely on others using primers so we can combo off them (the storm is running support primers the other is doing only detonators same as me and the interceptor and we get madd combos 

Message 8 of 9 (299 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Also the fact that flamethrower does not do any damage to titans. While other do some what little to moderate damage flamethrower does nothing.  I also think there should be more components specifically on shield strength like more shields for health or immune to fire or using shield with flame or or ordance launcher, i know we have one but we need more of that combo.

Message 9 of 9 (291 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help