Re: Havoc/energy gun Overpowered?

by xTomboyRespecter

Original Post

Havoc/energy gun Overpowered?

★★★ Expert

So the tradeoff for having a large magazine on pickup, and high damage per hit, was ammo shortage, and rarity of the turbocharger.

Since the patch tho, energy ammo is very commonly found, and I seem to find the turbocharger almost every game that lasts 6-8 minutes or longer.

Especially the Havoc buff to magazine capacity AND it's damage seems to have made it too strong, especially early game.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 24 (2,003 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
I still believe the Havoc is balanced, as all things should be. My honest opinion, I believe the devotion to be stronger.
Message 2 of 24 (1,983 Views)

★★ Pro

The Devotion rips through people... Havoc will do some work as a first weapon, but if you're in a gunfight with a Havoc, you could easily lose to a well-placed R-301 clip. 

Message 3 of 24 (1,969 Views)

I think the havoc is a pretty good state now.

All hop-ups fit perfect on the weapon.

In the close combat it feels pretty strong but the further away someone is the more difficult it is getting to win fights.

I don't really think its "overpowered" now, just in a good spot.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png
Message 4 of 24 (1,943 Views)

★★ Pro

Yeah, I'd take any other AR over the Havoc at medium to long range. 

Message 5 of 24 (1,927 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Nah.
They can only stack to 60. So you gotta choose between utility (heals/grenades) or ammo. So unless you're lucky and find a great bag with tons of ammo from the start then you'll probably run out of ammo if you can make it to the end without playing passively.

Message 6 of 24 (1,921 Views)

★ Guide
It's quite ok starting weapon. But after r99 it becomes totally useless.
Message 7 of 24 (1,911 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Wingmannedbro  It's a good question (if the havoc is OP). I don't think it is but it's nice that it's being considered that way. The best player I know says it is OP but I don't agree. Definitely worth debating though. Standard smile

Message 8 of 24 (1,898 Views)

★★★ Expert

Hmm, yeah I was laying emphasis on early game, say you hotdrop in skulltown and get lucky enough to find an R-301, you're in a good spot, but someone with a Havoc will generally destroy you and your teammate with a single magazine.

As other commenters have pointed out, it's really not a weapon that shines at mid range, but in most situations you will be in close combat anyway, and someone with a Havoc will really make everyone without an energy weapon run away start of the game.

Granted that an 3-301 is going to be better with good attachments, I would personally like to see an extended magazine for the energy AR's, with only 1 tier.

So havoc would have 20 on pickup, 32 with the magazine, and devotion have 28 or so, and 44 with the magazine.

Message 9 of 24 (1,822 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Wingmannedbro  Interesting suggestion about the 20 round magazine. I can't agree with it, though, on the basis that the Havoc has a spool up time that can cause a few rounds to be wasted when lining shots up. The same is true when using the Select-Fire hop-up which I think would detrimentally affected by a 20 round mag. The same thing would, I believe, happen with the Turbocharger hop-up on both the Havoc and Devotion where rounds are spewed all over the place especially at anything over short ranges. Thinking

Message 10 of 24 (1,805 Views)