Re: Has origin been hacked?

by EA_Ryan

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Has origin been hacked?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

i was taking a look at reddit.com/r/origin

there are a lot of people saying they've been hacked. is there some kind of security breach going on? heck, ive even opend a case so i can hopefuly delete my account because of this fact. media and EA have been very quiet which is a bit suss. i also got this email this morning from the noreply ea email

"We have reset your EA Account password. We know this is an inconvenience, and hope you recognize that we take the safety of your personal information seriously.

What happened?
After detecting potentially suspicious activity associated with your EA Account, we reset the password to protect your personal information. At this time, we do not think the suspicious activity is the result of unauthorized access to EA databases. We think the activity may be related to issues like phishing, using weak passwords, logging in from shared connections, or using the same password on multiple websites."

have i been pwnd?

so really, has there been a breach in security? despite the fact that i dont have much on this account, this is still serious stuff. don't beat arounf the bush. tell me straight...

Message 1 of 17 (3,060 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

Community Manager (retired)

@21gmrs

To get straight to it, right now we don't have any evidence that our EA Account database has been breached. It’s possible that the suspicious activity we detected was nothing at all. It’s also possible that someone got your credentials from another (non-EA) site or service. In other words, someone may have stolen your credentials from somewhere else, then tried using them to log into Origin.

Hope this alleviates your concerns.

Thanks 

EA_Ryan 

View in thread

Message 2 of 17 (3,720 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

@21gmrs

To get straight to it, right now we don't have any evidence that our EA Account database has been breached. It’s possible that the suspicious activity we detected was nothing at all. It’s also possible that someone got your credentials from another (non-EA) site or service. In other words, someone may have stolen your credentials from somewhere else, then tried using them to log into Origin.

Hope this alleviates your concerns.

Thanks 

EA_Ryan 

Message 2 of 17 (3,721 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Ryan

Thanks for the answer but, I may have to call bullhonkey on some of it.

First of all, r/origin. This has been going on for a bit over 2 months. Most of the posts from as far back as 60 days are about peoples accounts being compromised. Which would make many people think there is being a breach.

Secondly, and this is just personally mind you, I don't think someone got into another one of my accounts. Usually I change my username very so often. And heck, with origin, I needed to shorten my name. I havent used this shortened username anywhere else I can remember.

Ok. Rant over. I think what you said about suss activitie being nothing could be true considering I changed quite a few settings the night before.

Once again, thanks for the answer. I'm sorry if this sounded aggressive towards you, it by no means was supposed to be like that.
Message 3 of 17 (2,969 Views)

Hey @21gmrs

Not ranty or aggressive at all.

Myself and the rest of the community are here to help Standard smile 

Message 4 of 17 (2,950 Views)

★ Apprentice

how about an update for all the Kindle users that are still waiting for their Origin/EA/Scrabble update? It appears from other boards the IOS people and some Android people have been updated, changed their passwords, and now see a EA screen instead of Origin Login screen.

It would be nice if someone "would" come forth and say what happened.

The Origin/Scrabble comments are SCATTERED all over the forum and help pages. There has been no one place for folks to find out what is going on. Some have had a "reset your password" email, but Kindle still shows the Origin login, and folks still get the invalid password error..
Not a rant, just a plea for help.

Message 5 of 17 (2,900 Views)

★ Apprentice

Can EA_Tom, EA_Dave, and EA_Ryan get together and let us know how we will know when the Scrabble fix will be available for Kindle users? The earlier message has not been updated. OK, maybe not updated because there is no update, but how will we know?

thank you

Message 6 of 17 (2,894 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm only adding to this because it's been shown as resolved but I still have several players on Kindle devices who still cannot log on using the Origin login even after the resolution occurred for Android and iOS.  It's been more than a week since that update was provided for those platforms and I/We are still waiting for one for the Kindles.  

Message 7 of 17 (2,709 Views)

EA DICE Team

@WillCN7 @gotoscott

I will look into that.

From my original understanding, there wasn't an issue with the Kindle version so this might be a separate issue.

Message 8 of 17 (2,706 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Straatford87 @EA_Ryan Yes, there is an ongoing issue with Kindle users. Have a look at the scattered threads. Thanks for looking, we need some help here

Message 9 of 17 (2,684 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

yes i been hacked by same damn person twice on my acc GG EA [Removed by CM]

Message 10 of 17 (2,660 Views)