Harsh remarks can impact a developers mental health

by CantGetRight

Original Post

Re: Harsh remarks can impact a developers mental health

★★ Expert
@CantGetRight there is a limit to what can be said i agree. death-threats and stuff like that are a no go and they are heavily policed almost everywhere. now the working-bee devs are more or less powerless they are beign told what is to be done, developed or shelved.
now should we sugarcoat everything we say? no i think not this game is more dissapointing then anyone ever feared it would be and the reasons are differetn but over all i think the vast majority of people enaging in forums are mroe or less dissapointed.
DICE screwed up again and EA/DICE-Management should rightly be ashamed but these people do not care one bit if you are dissatified or not.
and if you think game-devs are having it rough try working as a first responder, i did for 6 years and i can attest there is worse then a twitter troll messaging
Message 21 of 39 (312 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@CantGetRight1. No Dev should read Players remarks, it's misleading and generally 'straw man' information. 2. Product Manager should be collating the feedback, and ensuring the Lead Dev understands the priorities. 3. A Company should never put its Devs in the customer firing line.

When was the last time you saw Bill Gates wheel out a Dev and say "all his fault"?

The Devs write what the PM requests, and if it was garbage in, it will most certainly be garbage out. And it should be noted that the testers (QA) really fell down on the job with BF2042 for not catching the MANY bugs.

Message 22 of 39 (272 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I've no sympathy for anyone that gets paid 5x my wage. you chose that career path. 

Message 23 of 39 (239 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

Am sure the bonuses make up for it!

When you grow up and get a job at one time or another your going to get criticism it’s called a working adult!

Nothing like trying hard to play the victim when it was me that got ripped off!

Message 24 of 39 (239 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Get real. This the real world, where you as an employee, you have certain expectations. If you don't meet those expectations, you will receive "harsh" remarks. 

Life is not sunshine and rainbows.

Message 25 of 39 (238 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

I don't read anything from Kotaku. They are about as thick skinned as a wet paper bag and about as intelligent as a wet lettuce. They are just a bunch of wets.

Message 26 of 39 (218 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@TheCompton73
"Imagine a waiter dropping off an undercooked meal missing most of the sides dishes then going on break for an hour. Then when they get back and the customer is angry instead of apologizing the waiter makes a snide comment about the customer having "brutal expectations" for their food."

What a coincidence!
I think I've been to this same restaurant . . well , more like outside of it .
I haven't gone in yet 'cos I can't . . . but , I did look through the window .
(I can't 'cos I ain't got NO shirt , but as soon as I get one , I'm going in)

I'm seeing some odd things though as I stare through this glass here.
It looks like some of these well-clothed get sat , and then lose their shirt .
Me ; seeing no-shirt outside AND no-shirt inside , well . . now I walk on in .

I'm not here to eat , but to let you all know that I'll soon buy me a new shirt!!
That's it .
In the meantime . . (easy visual - The Turn Back with an 'Oh, by the way')

It . . It JUST opened! It's STILL under construction! Yet , here you all are.
I mean . . . You! Put your shirt on . . . You! Quit vomiting on the table .
EVERYONE here knows this chain , and that they make great food .

(brought to you by giveachefabreak.gag)
Message 27 of 39 (207 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I would have sympathy if it was difficult to develop a Battlefield game, but with all the previous work they have, existing assets for the engine and capital at their disposal it should be one of the easiest series to develop a new game for.

They literally could take the most up to date, least buggy builds of any of their previous games in the last decade and just plonk in assets they already have, do up some new maps using pre-existing assets and apply new textures and shaders to pre-existing assets.

I understand they have gone from 64 players to 128 players and this has ramifications on the netcode, blah, blah, but every Battlefield game since BF3 has had the capability of doing 128 players in the engine with the netcode allowing for this. I believe the actual limit is 256 players.

Venice Unleashed for BF3 you can do 128 player servers, BF4 they had bot test matches with over 64 players, I would be surprised if this was taken out of the engine for BF1 and BFV.

Now I know having the capability of something in the engine and it working well are different things, but I would also be surprised if they actually did much to improve this netcode beyond making specific things more efficient - ie removing replication of physics for particular types of objects and destructibles.

I would imagine they just spent most of their time testing out ideas trying to make a meme BR hero shooter and when that all fizzled they had little time left to make a proper Battlefield game but were stuck with a game with a bunch of new systems, and a bunch of old systems that had been disabled or removed.

Instead of going back to a stable build they continued with their mess half way between games build with a whole lot of unresolved issues and then end result is this.

Message 28 of 39 (193 Views)

★ Guide

Sorry but I've watched a few of the Dev interviews pre Battlefield 2042 release raving about it so I have zero sympathy. If money has exchanged hands then they who carried out the work are responsible, as I'm sure they did get paid for it. 

Going to the Extras in the game options gives you a list of all who worked on it, If you have knowingly aloud your name to be forever pinned to any title then unfortunately you reap what you sow.

My only exception to this is if a game was a free to play.

In my line of work I would possible be sacked or at best a final written warning if I did something of equal impact. I deal with harsh comments every single day but I don't let it effect me professionally.

Message 29 of 39 (172 Views)

★★★★ Guide

And lying to your player base causes an upset player base...

Message 30 of 39 (160 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help