Harsh remarks can impact a developers mental health

by CantGetRight

Original Post

Harsh remarks can impact a developers mental health

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xiv-producer-to-players-harsh-remarks-ca-1848351220?utm_source=face...

I know it's for a different game but what he is saying can be said for the way I see the developers being treated on this board and other places.  Makes me ashamed to be a gamer. 

Message 1 of 39 (848 Views)

Re: Harsh remarks can impact a developers mental health

★★★ Guide
@CantGetRight I doubt they read anything here the devs them selves that is. I’m sure they get the jest of it all though.
I have played games with worse launch issues than this one Cyberpunk comes to mind and it survived. All hysteria imo
Message 2 of 39 (820 Views)

★★ Pro
@k1u73 CP2077 is a quadriplegic vegetable but yeah... it's alive I guess
Message 3 of 39 (808 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@CantGetRight You need to have thick skin to do the job. No matter what people say, you never let it get to you. You use the negative energy and make things right. When my boss or a customer tells me I messed up. Should I go cry in the corner? No… I kick myself in my * and address the problem. You shouldn’t be ashamed for being a gamer because of others behavior or how they express themselves. EA needs to understand battlefield2042 is not a good quality product and it clearly wasn’t ready for release. Not because I want to make them cry and shutdown.. but because I want them to do better. The company is taking peoples hard earned dollars and not refunding it. We all are expecting an amazing experience which isn’t happening to the majority of the player base. None of us want to see this happen again. Call it tough love cantgetright. Respect goes out the window when someone loses money and can’t get it back. Policy or not.. the policy is clearly unfair to the customers.
Message 4 of 39 (797 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@CantGetRightI don't but not for crappy reasons.

With the advent of social media, we've become incredibly thin skinned. There is no doubt that being endlessly thrown bile can be very detrimental of course, however people have become entirely too soft. Used to be we told people to just deal with it and over time they did and moved on. Does it suck? Sure. But in the end if we keep pretending that words equate to violence we'll never be able to say anything at all. If they took the higher road and didn't just publically crap on players via twitter and other nonsense the scale and scope would likely be dramatically reduced. 

People should try to be respectful even when angry in public discourse, but it doesn't help when many developers tend to act negatively towards playerbases as well. I have lost count of the amount of developers in the industry who have looked down upon, mocked, demanded and belittled their customers in many cases just to virtue signal. Do all devs deserve the hell they get? no. But I am long past being that sympathetic to many of them. They make the bed they lie in.

The people who just spew bile just because they didn't like a patch note and things like that? Yeah. They can take a walk.
Those doing the same because its blatantly obvious the community is not being listened to because the devs listen to metric data more than their customers and player? Yeah they have every justifiable reason to be extremely angry especially when they've put a lot of time and money into the product themselves (especially true for MMOs)

Message 5 of 39 (797 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@k1u73 It’s just strange how they think it’s ok to release a game with so many known issues. Especially after beta testing a few times.
Message 6 of 39 (759 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Imagine a waiter dropping off an undercooked meal missing most of the sides dishes then going on break for an hour. Then when they get back and the customer is angry instead of apologizing the waiter makes a snide comment about the customer having "brutal expectations" for their food.  It doesn't happen because the waiter would have to deal with that dissatisfaction face to face. The devs can just ignore the forums and turn off notifications for comments on twitter posts and they're in their own little world where everything is awesome all of the time when they're part of a team.

Message 7 of 39 (757 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@-s0-SDBBut how much is or percentage of what exactly players require a refund for? More importantly what percentage was driven by hysteria and influencers that May have played a part in all this?
Games I have purchased played less than few hours only just to move on.
Team Fortress2
Counter Strike
Counter Strike GO
Cyberpunk2077
Valheim
Left4Dead
Long Dark
And not once did I ask for a refund or have a melt down online over any of them.
All in all for the many hours of gaming that I have enjoyed the overall cost is dirt cheap including machines and internet.
How many hours did all these BF veterans play after spending what 40 measly bucks five…ten…twenty years go enjoy playing? Yet for some reason just because things went sour for them that want to just give up and create mass hysteria over what?
A game that’s imo playable, fixable and certainly will offer many hours of play regardless f how long it lasts.
Currently I have played every day since it’s release 5 to 6 hours each day and paid 109.00
That’s cheap entertainment imo do the math with many more to come.
When was the last time anyone was refund for a movie?
Or refunded a meal after you ate it?
Good grief.

Message 8 of 39 (756 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Seems largely civil for me. I'm not seeing death threats or calls for violence. Or anything directed at specific devs for that matter. Just outrage over a * product. Which is a) warranted, b) normal.

If you produce anything for more than $0 (and even then...) you're going to face criticism from your customers if it's bad. I don't know why people equate this to being a gamer. It happens with virtually every other industry. You make a * movie you get slammed, made fun of and your reputation gets dragged. You make a * game and at least you get a chance to fix it and claw back some of the good will that (in many cases) was exploited in the first place.

You make a * car = layoffs

You make a * movie = no more funding

You make a * medication = end of career

You make a * retaining wall = lose future business/go out of pocket

Game devs just feel it more because our communication channels are more direct. Doesn't mean everyone who bought a Ford Pinto wasn't privately livid at the time.

Message 9 of 39 (742 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@MedjumuracFair enough to a certain degree.
State your complaints and ask for a refund is fair enough. But to go on and on and on…
I think for a lot of them they are influenced by whom so ever and have not the ability to judge for them selves. Twitch and YouTubers etc.
The game is not that bad and plays fine of my Dell mfg. in 2017 albeit upgraded.
So somebody just ain’t got it and never will have it lol

Message 10 of 39 (710 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help