Had my best game in Apex (24 kills and 4.4k damage with Octane)

by Romet6

Original Post

Re: Had my best game in Apex (24 kills and 4.4k damage with Octane)

★ Expert
@Romet6 Thanks for the tips! I tried the G7 last night and got some great damage, especially when the double-tap trigger was applied. I chipped 200 off a squad we had pinned down until my TM (we dropped as a duo in trios) decided to rush them and got downed.

The Prowler, less so. I barely got any kills with it. I play on console and it's hard to control the recoil with a controller.

I realise I have become over-reliant on the Spitfire so need to vary it up a bit. The R301 is prob the best combo with the G7 as same ammo.

I had a brilliant game last night with a Mirage (again, duo in trios). We made it to the final three and hid at the bunker (outside). I (BH) scanned the door to see a solo Loba behind it who immediately sh*t her pants. She eventually ran off. Another squad of three came through and where climbing all over the walls. I was sniping and hiding and they were looking all over the map for me, unaware I was almost breathing down their necks. They ran off too and took care of the Loba. When the ring closed me and Mirage emerged for the 2v3 fight. A Rev and Gibby spotted Mirage and starting firing but I knocked them both, only to get knocked by an Octane. The Octane then downed the (heavily damaged) Mirage so we didn't win, but it was a great game :D
Message 31 of 35 (305 Views)

★ Guide
@EdwardDLuffy happy to help! Standard smile

Personally, I don't really like double tap, especially when I am dealing with moving targets or shooting people at longer ranges. If I miss then it just doubles the miss and I do miss a lot Standard smile ...besides, I can just as easily spam the trigger button to shoot lots of bullets in a short amount of time. However, if you're getting better results with it then that's great! It's important that you have a loadout that you can feel really confident with.

As for the prowler, are you using it close up or at a distance? Burst prowler is like a shotgun, you'll want to hipfire with it almost within punching range, because it becomes much less effective when you're further away. I would generally also recommend using the highest FOV setting, so it's easier to track people when you get that close. If they have a low FOV then it's almost like they have binoculars on and they can lose track of you more easily if you keep moving outside of their limited field of view. That's a big advantage, because it makes it possible to shoot them without taking too much damage in return.

I'm glad that you had fun, but can you think of a way that you could've won the match? It's good to take a moment after each match to think what you could've done differently with the information that you had to achieve better results.

One thing I wish my teammates would consider more before pushing or running is some basic math: if everyone has 200 health and one guy pushes into a 1v3 situation then he'll need to do 600 damage total to the whole squad, while the enemy would only need to do 67 damage each on one single target. That math is disproportionately skewed in favor of the trio, so you shouldn't push that unless you're an Apex god. Something similar applies to a 2v3 fight, although your odds are better there. When the odds are heavily against you then you need to find a way to even those odds. Maybe look for a care package, so you can grab an OP gun like a Kraber or a Devotion and if the last two teams are fighting then that's your only chance to push and get some free shots in (ideally a knock against one or more enemies), before they turn to fight you. That's also when someone like Crypto becomes surprisingly useful, because he can EMP the last 2 squads (even indoors) while they're already hurt and then finishing them off with a few nades and a powerful gun will be much easier. The drone is also a good tool to get the last two teams to start fighting... if you EMP one team and then keep harassing them with the drone, so they'd make a lot of noise trying to shoot it then that can entice even a solo player to rush in towards the action to hit the distracted and damaged opponents.

Anyway, there's usually always something more that you could've done and if you figure out a winning strategy then you can use it next time when you're in a similar situation.
Message 32 of 35 (272 Views)

Man, 

I suck at this game. I am rank 460 and have had a highest kill game of 9 and highest damage game is 1979. 

lol

Message 33 of 35 (252 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@aisthebestletter Still better than the average player I’d think xD. Levels dont have much to do with how you play.

From first day of apex till now I’ve gotten anywhere from 0-17 kills & damages from 0-2500.
Message 34 of 35 (251 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Koochi-Q  yeah, it can be a bit difficult to know how good a player is from just some basic stats. If a person has a good rank badge then he should be pretty capable, but if he is still in bronze then it doesn't tell you much because some people just never play ranked. I was silver at the start of the season, yet I've solod to diamond twice before, so the silver label is misleading. But the regular level number does at least give you some idea of how much experience someone has in this game. If they're above 100 then they should have the experience required to reach at least the Gold rank, whether they actually play ranked or not.

As for damage, if you want higher numbers then you might need to thirst people more often. You could shoot the knocked player first, no matter who knocked him, and then shoot everyone else. You also get lower damage numbers if the fights end too fast (meaning that you're fighting close range and alongside your team - if you're fighting alone and from a moderate distance then you may end up getting 1k damage from just one single team). Whenever I've gotten 4k+ damage, I've usually done it without one or both of my teammates.

Message 35 of 35 (235 Views)