Girls who code program

by ivrognard

Original Post

Girls who code program

Funny enough, i did not see this posted in many places. And i wonder why the low profile. Because this seems like a nice effort to attract more women into the computer sciences. 

So, congrats for EA for sponsoring the program and to more years in doing this. 

Hopefully, EA will have more such programs and will be succesful into attracting new talents into the industry.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 1 of 8 (859 Views)

Re: Girls who code program

EA DICE Team

@ivrognard

I agree! This is a really wonderful initiative, and I would love to see some talk about this.. :-)

Message 2 of 8 (704 Views)

@Straatford87 you know what it would be nice?! Reaching every level of education: not only college, but high school and grade school, too. That way, they could get an idea what is happening in the industry and if they want to follow the ones that already made a name for themselves and earned the respect of many gamers and colleagues. The world needs more tech-inclined people, as the modern society requires a lot of them. So, it's better to spot those talents when they are young and lead them towards that. God knows, we have plenty of bankers and economists....Standard smile

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 3 of 8 (684 Views)

Hero

I think they should definitely teach programming in high school.

When I was in high school we had a IT class in which we used software that required us to solve problems by programming a car with conditional logic. This was with a drag and drop interface and was far from actual coding, but at least it taught us algorithmic thinking.

However, I think schools should skip straight to Python, because it's simple and straightforward enough for young beginners.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 8 (671 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Hi @ivrognard@Fred_vdp@Straatford87

It is really a praiseworthy initiative.I did not even suspect that EA was dealing with it Raised eyebrow .However this is the future ( or at least so is prefigured) and it is good to be prepared, it is valid for both sides involved.Fingers crossed

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours.I'm a gamer like you, trying to help you (i'm not an EA employee).

If you want to know us or/and come up with ideas to improve the Origin platform or/and talk about anything and many more besides,you could also visit the NEW section Origin General Discussion http://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/bd-p/origin-general-discussion-en

Retired champion.
Message 5 of 8 (635 Views)

EA DICE Team

@ivrognard @yahel_1 @Fred_vdp

I personally definitely see the benefit of additional knowledge in these areas in schools. Knowing that (most of us, as students) will be working with computers in our future jobs, it will be a huge benefit for the rest of your life Standard smile

Message 6 of 8 (598 Views)

Tech skills are required in our days and yet i see more and more people that are less tech savvy than my generation. Most of the young people i've seen are not able to assemble a PC, tweak a software to suit their needs and so on. They've got so used with all things pre-made and delivered pre-installed that they do not even bother to learn...Which is sad. I am trying to teach my younger colleagues and friends to be self-reliant but most of them prefer to call the "professional"

So, yes. I support anything that would teach people to adapt to a tech world. If someone of my age can still learn about tech, the young people should be even more advanced than i am. I should be the one asking for their advice, not the other way around...I hope that the new generation will understand that the new world would require a serious knowledge of hardware and software. And they will embrace that.

Message 7 of 8 (586 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Fred_vdp wrote:
When I was in high school we had a IT class in which we used software that required us to solve problems by programming a car with conditional logic. This was with a drag and drop interface and was far from actual coding, but at least it taught us algorithmic thinking.

There is a modern equivalent in the world of Minecraft. This should be a good lesson for young coders.

https://code.org/minecraft

The browser version has quite a few bugs, so I recommend the standalone client.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 8 of 8 (467 Views)