Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: General Tarsis Question **spoilers**

by Aknunsus

Original Post

General Tarsis Question **spoilers**

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I’m a bit fuzzy on the lore right now but..

roughly how how long ago did general Tarsis live? If she piloted the first javelin, how did they not improve technologically to the point that it’s essentially a flip phone in comparison to other javelins? Owen and Haluk act like it’s the end all be all javelin. Owen also owned an old Haluk and stated his skills are a bit oversold in said javelin. So additionally who are the greatest freelancers, cyphers in your opinion based on what you’ve gathered in game.

educate me please

also, is Owen the new Vader? Lmao

Message 1 of 8 (247 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Try this: https://anthem.fandom.com/wiki/Helena_Tarsis

TL;DR, Helena Tarsis lived about 500 years ago. Her Javelin (the Javelin of Dawn) was built by a genius (Arden Vassa). There are many aspects of it that are outdated now, but it still has features other people have been unable to replicate until current times when the thing (or one of it's seals) was available to study (and you get the Shield of Dawn for your javelin). The Javelin appears to be somewhat akin to a combined colossus and storm, which essentially makes it something which player characters should never get access to.

Message 2 of 8 (237 Views)

★ Expert

I have a feeling we will be seeing Owen again.

Message 3 of 8 (234 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
There's actually some really interesting lore that I hope they expand on in the future. I think more of what you're looking for is in the descriptions of the original legion of dawn members and javelin history, though I don't remember exactly which entries.

But it was more or less that Vassa was on an entirely different level of knowledge and talent for javelin design and harnessing ember for use in them. Vassa designed Tarsis' javelin and many others for the original legion. But after Vassa died and the war with the urgoth faded, a lot of the technology and secrets of it were destroyed or lost.

That's why the newer javelins aren't as advanced, and why even an inexperienced pilot like Owen was able to overpower haluk, which haluk said himself. Vassa was just that good at it.
Message 4 of 8 (207 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks for the answers 

Message 5 of 8 (169 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@NinjaChef85 wrote:
But it was more or less that Vassa was on an entirely different level of knowledge and talent for javelin design and harnessing ember for use in them. Vassa designed Tarsis' javelin and many others for the original legion. But after Vassa died and the war with the urgoth faded, a lot of the technology and secrets of it were destroyed or lost.

That's why the newer javelins aren't as advanced, and why even an inexperienced pilot like Owen was able to overpower haluk, which haluk said himself. Vassa was just that good at it.

I would say, the lore is quite interesting and deliver possibilities for expansions. I hope we get much more information about the world. The devs created a new universum and mythos behind the world and I hope we get much more of that. 

One discussed issue in this topic is about the technology of javelins in the time of legion of dawn and today. It is a little confusing for me, as for the OP. About 500 years ago they were really able to build much more powerful javelins as today? With all that knowledge (arcanists, cyphers) gathered till now, experience and living actually free after beating urgoth? The explanation the knowledge has been forgotten or the technology and secrets of it were destroyed or lost is possible. But there were not mentioned any of big cataclysms (except of that in Freemark), which could ruin the mankind that way, they lost the technology, secrets, knowledge. I would like to get much deeper explanation in game to this topic which would be coherent.

Other interesting aspects of lore:

1. The Shepers – who they are, how they looks like. what power they had. What goals they had? What went wrong that they leaved the planet (it’s a one of the crucial questions). Where are they now and whether they have still some impact on the world?
  2. Anzu – nearly the same questions like to the Shepers.
  3. Urgoth – like above, nearly the same questions. At the end of the story missions we get a nice “cliffhanger” hopefully for next expansion.
  4. Doktor Harken – Dominion leader, is he really dead?
Message 6 of 8 (127 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
Didn't say cataclysm. I mean lost as in: forgotten over the years. And destroyed as in: the javelins of the original legion not being in salvageable enough condition to reverse engineer.

And yea, just went back and read it. He designed Tarsis' javelin and the ones of the original legion. All since then were only designed by him, but not built by him. And since he was in such a league of his own in regards to his knowledge and talents, even though he passed it on to his children, his original personal work would still far outclass anything since by anyone else.

I do hope they expand on lore a lot more, as there's some great stuff in there. But they've got a lot more important things to do before they think about that, lol.
Message 7 of 8 (101 Views)

★ Guide
Spoiler
As to how Owen defeats Haluk... I think its a combination of the Tarsis Javelin being beefier/better, but the storyline up to that point indicates that Haluk has kind of lost his Javelin piloting greatness, and/or his Javelin is not fully repaired.  Although, I seem to recall a conversation indicating that Haluk's Javelin was fine, but that he has having issues "connecting" with it or something.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there.  In sum, Owen may be a sh*t pilot in an advanced suit, but Haluk was also diminished in his abilities.  
Message 8 of 8 (90 Views)
Twitter Stream