Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Gear Charges and Gear Dmg Inscriptions

by daemontonio

Original Post

Gear Charges and Gear Dmg Inscriptions

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

It seems that the Gear Charges inscription is additive, and the Gear Dmg inscription is multiplicative. I thought both were additive (wishful thinking from my part). I had equipped in my Interceptor a power 75 Shadow Claw with "+200% Gear Charges" and "+175% Gear Dmg" over a power 80 Spectre's Flash with no additional charges and "+21% Dmg" because I thought that this one inflicted more damage per hit based on my wrong assumption. With the "+200% Gear Charges" I can shoot the gear 3 times (100% being the base charge + 200% from the inscription) before it is ready to shoot again, so I assumed that Gear Dmg would add 175% to the 100% base damage making a cool 275% damage per hit, making this power 75 gear item more damaging than the power 80 item. I decided to give the Spectre's Flash a second try and the damage was unexpectedly higher than the damage inflicted by the Shadow Claw. So I believe that "+175% Gear Dmg" means that the base damage of Shadow Claw is multiplied by 1.75, which is lower than the damage dealt by Spectre's Flash. Does the same multiplication thing apply to "+x% Weap Dmg" then?

Message 1 of 9 (304 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Are you running any +% to physical damage, if so that may be what you are seeing as Specter is physical and Talon is pure elemental. If not then not sure, I know that Specter can both aura combo as well as weak point strike (don't remember being able to weak point strike with Talon), are you testing both on a first strike with no weak point hit to get base damage?

Message 2 of 9 (274 Views)

★★ Guide
Damage inscriptions must be additive, otherwise by your calculation a +25% damage inscription would make the weapon do a quarter of its base damage.

It's more likely that the damage value is interacting with the target's defence/resistance values to create the final damage value.

The calculations are unknown to us, but it's likely that higher damage has diminishing returns. That is, if an unmodified weapon inflicts 5000 damage, the same weapon with +100% Damage will deal less than 10,000 damage. Power Level could also have some effect on the damage formula.
Message 3 of 9 (249 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@VectorSlinger is right, these percentages must be additive. So, if there is for example a total of +200% relevant modifiers from other gear and sigils, then another +175% will bring your damage from 300% to 475%. 

@gortessoth makes several good points - for above example: What does relevant modifier mean? For some items, it is not straightforward to tell if it will benefit from a certain damage bonus.

The crits he mentions are another big topic, because the damage is scaled depending on the enemy type and hit zone. It can make a huge difference. And Combos are absolutely relevant if you consider total damage outputs from these two items. 

Message 4 of 9 (222 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@VectorSlingerYou're right. The additional 175% Gear Dmg is likely being watered down by other factors. It also could be a bug like the one that affected Steam Vent.

@gortessoth  My test method was simply running the cataclysm and attacking Frost Brutes. With Shadow Claw the brute staggered after 2 hits, with Specter's Flash one hit is enough. This is what triggered my doubt.

@DrBonifarzThanks for the info.

Message 5 of 9 (210 Views)

★★ Guide

Staggering is based off Force, I believe, which is not always directly linked to damage.

Message 6 of 9 (188 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@daemontonio wrote:

@VectorSlingerYou're right. The additional 175% Gear Dmg is likely being watered down by other factors. It also could be a bug like the one that affected Steam Vent.

@gortessoth  My test method was simply running the cataclysm and attacking Frost Brutes. With Shadow Claw the brute staggered after 2 hits, with Specter's Flash one hit is enough. This is what triggered my doubt.

@DrBonifarzThanks for the info.

I'm not surprised you are seeing different stagger values from the 2 systems, one is physical and should stagger faster than the elemental I believe.

Message 7 of 9 (182 Views)

★★ Guide

@daemontonio In case you’re not already aware, the math behind Anthem has been reverse engineered to show how it all works. Try this: 

http://bsn.boards.net/thread/17495/guide-anthem-combat-technical-manual

Message 8 of 9 (157 Views)

★★★ Guide

I found the source of the unexpected good results I got. One of my assumptions was wrong by not taking into account the "+21% Dmg" in the Spectre's Flash. Once this inscription is added then its damage is higher than the damage inflicted by the Shadow Claw with the "+175% Gear Dmg". Thank you for all the replies.

Message 9 of 9 (105 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help