Re: Game Spotlight - The Sims series

by ivrognard

Original Post

1. The original Sims game. I was seduced by the fact that you can play it in so many ways, your imagination being the only limit.

2. Sims 2, as it allowed a tremendous level of customization in both decoring and building. And the mod community really shined on this one.

3. Social interactions improved vastly, but the building customization went down a notch. I hope that the next Sims game will use the decoring and building customization from Sims 2, the questing system from Sims Stories/Sims 3/Sims Medieval and the social interactions from Sims 4. That would be an ideal SimsStandard smile

4. Maybe less expansions/stuff packs/game packs. More meat at launch and really consistent expansions afterwards.

5. A no-aging option like in Sims 1, the community lots from Sims 2 (and the full customization of those).

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 21 of 60 (1,255 Views)

★ Pro
@ivrognard

You can turn aging off in the game settings.
Message 22 of 60 (1,249 Views)

Pretty sure that Sims 2 did not have that option.

Sims 4, i did not played it yet (it is there in my library, i just did not play it for more than 1-2 hours) and Sims 3 (i think that you are right that was in options an age off setting - last time when i've played Sims 3 was a long time ago).

I've played the first two Sims a lot, but the recent ones did not had the same appeal for some reason.Just a matter of personal taste. I want to give them another chance, but being a completionist, i want to complete my Sims 3 and Sims 4 collections first (and probably i have a better chance with Sims 4 to do that).

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 23 of 60 (1,244 Views)

★ Guide

Hi everybody :D Big Simmer here! Can you believe it's been over 17 years since the game was released!

What brought you into the Sims series?
I remember seeing random advertisements on TV announcing the game and it looked so cool, so I tried it and I never stopped playing. 

What is your all-time favorite Sims game, and why?
Ha, I'm going to cheat and share a favorite one from each generation Wink 
The Sims 1 - Superstar
The Sims 2 - Freetime
The Sims 3 - Ambitions and World Adventures and Pets (don't make me choose) 
The Sims 4 - Get to Work but I looooove Windenburg from Get Together

What do you think of the most recent game, Sims 4?
Love it! I never thought how important it was to me that my Sims have emotions and look like they have it. And the little things like multi-tasking, it is easy to overlook but so important for me now.

If there's anything that you can change about the Sims, what would it be?
So hard to answer, especially considering we've had more updates with The Sims 4 than I can count. Things I never imagined I needed got added to the game already, I like playing with toddlers now! I never enjoyed that before. 

Is there anything from past Sims games that you would like to see make a comeback?
The Sims Medieval, such a different way to play the game and I still go back to it every few months :D

Message 24 of 60 (1,226 Views)

EA DICE Team

@fons_garmo

One thing I love about the Sims is the awesome and passionate fan base. I feel privileged to have you all amongst us.. Cool

@3ukkie

Thanks for noticing my avatar! I cherish it with great pride.. :D

@simvasion @LuvMySimz @3ukkie @ivrognard @MaaikeSww @fons_garmo

I also want to thank all of you for stopping by and sharing your Sims thoughts and stories. I'm loving it!

I'm also wondering.. if you had to choose, from all Sims that you've played, what would be your favorite Sims moment ever? Party hat

Message 25 of 60 (1,211 Views)

★ Pro
@Straatford87

I'm also wondering.. if you had to choose, from all Sims that you've played, what would be your favorite Sims moment ever?
---------------------
My favorite Sim moment was my first born ❤️
Message 26 of 60 (1,204 Views)

Champion

EA_Tom wrote:

I also want to thank all of you for stopping by and sharing your Sims thoughts and stories. I'm loving it!

I'm also wondering.. if you had to choose, from all Sims that you've played, what would be your favorite Sims moment ever? Party hat

My favourite sims moment was when I decided to make a music video in The Sims 2. I built a special lot that looked like an art gallery and then made a group of sims to star in the video. It was amazing how it all seemed to just come together like magic and the emotes and actions they were doing all autonomously just seemed to fit together so well. I think that if I tried to do it again, it wouldn't be possible to recreate... it was all one amazing moment in time.

Then after I posted it to YouTube, Maxis commented on it and I that was the best Sims moment ever Standard smile

It's still up on YouTube: https://youtu.be/eStgTN-aR8I

Message 27 of 60 (1,191 Views)

EA DICE Team

@LuvMySimz

A first born is always an amazing moment, both in Sims and real life.. :-)

@simvasion

Great video! I agree, it flows very well - and it's even more cool that you got an actual comment from Maxis! :eahigh_file:

Definitely well done.

My favorite (or rather funniest) Sims moment was when I moved in with my wife in her home. However, my wife still had a roommate that I needed to move out for a while while  I was settling in. You know, we just needed some space.. so to *cough* fix that, I build her a small little house behind some bushes and removed the door.

In the meantime I took my wife out to meet friends, to barbecue in the park, went to the library, spoiled her on some dates etc. Eventually after all the fun we wanted to have the roommate over for dinner.. I however forgot about her and it turns out she died.. oops! That's why the Reaper was around..

And I swore I would be nice to her friends upon moving in.. Frown

Message 28 of 60 (1,172 Views)

★ Pro

@Straatford87

I did allot of mistakes when I first started as a beginner in 2004 with The Sims2.

My very first created couple was so adorable (for me). I played with them day and night Wink And when they had their first baby I was sooo overwhelmed n happy! Standard smile

One day dad was repairing the computer and all of a sudden he got struck down by electricity and died! OMG NOOOOO))))))))))))))))))!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so shocked! I cried like a baby Frown

I even had nightmares because of the incident. And EA call this T rated? Suuure!

Had I known that I could just exit the game without saving I would have done so, but at the time I did not know of this and thought this was final.

I love those little pixel people so much that I do not want to lose any of them.

Ever since I play my Sims4 with againg off! LOL (I skipped Sims3 because I didn't like the look/shape of those pixel-people)

Message 29 of 60 (1,152 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

• What brought you into the Sims series?

Way back with The sims, as a kid you get to experience things you can't (like being a rockstar or having a huge party, shopping by yourself) and telling any story you want.

The challenge of the game also brought me in. Was not easy to make your sim succeed in the 1st sims lol. So many possibilities! I also love the quirky surreal possibilities, like drew carey comes to your house, and house party EP with the cake dancers, and then Superstar and Makin Magic were the cherry on top!

While I liked Simcity and Ceasar 2 for example, they don't have the same allure as sims, the are cold and distant, sims let you play your own "movie", create a fantasy land or fairytales and alternate universes, is just amazing and unique!

• What is your all-time favorite Sims game, and why?

Sims 2 in terms of iterations and base game. Sims 2 had the right balance of challenge and fun.

Also so much love and details in making this game. All the Expansion Packs were flawless (can't say the same for sims 3 and 4). The attention to detail and the bravery of not being afraid of going the extra mile and doing big things like seasons (winter and autumn were amazing), restaurants and business (they were WAY deeper and better than the ones in sims 3 that came after sims 2) and apartments (you had real neighbors they were buildable (not even sims 3, had no real neighbors this one, or 4 had such cool real apartments).

• What do you think of the most recent game, Sims 4?

I like it a lot, CAS is revolutionary, the push and pull I didn't even know such thing would be possible in a game so soon and without glitches! I always hated making sims before, with those sliders, lots of effort and little result. Sims physically looked similar. Also the humor and quirkiness charm of sims 1 and 2 came back and that made me love it so much more than sims 3!

But on the other hand, the sims themselves are not unique. The emotions system is VERY SHALLOW. All sims act like little robots that have a basic emotion and the system is so easy to manipulate. So is very predictable and repetitive.

In sims 2 our sims had fears,wants, more than one aspiration, turns on and off (chemistry with other sims), zodiac signs, interests, reputation in the neighborhood. In sims 2 you wanted to get to know each sim because they were so unique and multi dimensional.

In sims 4, what make our sims unique? Nothing, we have only a fav drink (that we can't pick). Where is the rest? Traits just modify a little the emotions, giving a moodlet or improving a skill speed. But that is so small, the sims end up all acting the same to all events. How boring that can get?

So I think to make sims 4 amazing, we would need a better complex emotion system (make it more challenging, put more emotions like fear, excitement, so on or tone it down), now is overkill imo. If that is not possible, please, add a new parallel system (like turns on and off - the attraction system, or fears and wants - many people been asking this, favorites picked in CAS with effects in game - like they love eating their fav food or receiving it as a gift) to give them more varied unique meaningful personalities!

(Even sims 3 had fav food and music, but still that didn't make much difference as in sims 2).

Also, the worlds are too restrictive, we can't even place our own lots or decide how to use the land. At least give us a basic template of a world (like Spring World, Forest world (copy of Granite Falls), etc and let us put decorations in it like in sims 2 and if possible decide how many lots.

• If there's anything that you can change about the Sims, what would it be?

Sims in general or The Sims 4? Well I would put basic weather in all base games, no need for snow or autumn, just rain and clouds or sunny day. Giving more variety to the days. Maybe the sims could get different whims or wants based on the basic weather (like drink hot cocoa when is raining, read a book when is raining, go out when is sunny or do a barbecue). This would also make easier to implement the Seasons Expansion Pack later on.

Also allow sims to have or not phones, buyable different phones, higher buildings more floors, split foundation and spiral staircases.

An easier create a world tool (can be payable).

And a new thing that would be cool if sims had bank accounts and could take loans and more real life details. (We have a sad clown but no burglars/firefighters now for example).

• Is there anything from past Sims games that you would like to see make a comeback?

YES! Sims SUPERSTAR! Was so good and sims 2 never had this EP which made me so disappointed (since sims 2 was my favourite).

I never liked Sims 3 much (too ugly pudding faced sims, boring gameplay, too focused in the world, less in the sims, no humor) and Showtime was such a disappointment compared to Sims Superstar EP.

For the first time we had our sims having a playable "career" and was the most fun of them all and still is now after sims 2,3 and 4!

We had goals we decided (not like sims get to work or ambitions EPs) and was so much fun seeing out sims doing it. Also we had a feeling we had a decision over growing in the career, since we could decide its direction kinda freely: which pose to do on a photoshoot, if we wanted to go to a catwalk, record our own albums and jingles, so much fun! So free and full of possibilities, plus StudioTown was very beautiful and interesting to explore!

In terms of smaller things that would fit a Stuff Pack: I would love GIFT GIVING like in sims 2 (so sad we can't gift other sims and see if they will like or not like in sims 1 and 2 the gifts, come on even SIMS 1 had it) and the Gift Giving Party from sims 3 (I think was supposed to be Christmas Party but lets be more inclusive XD )

Also flower arrangement like sims 2 (flowers are USELESS now in sims 4, why we even have them in base game?).

A romantic Game pack like Sims Hot date would be super cool too and attraction system (dating and romance in sims 3 and 4 are so boring compared to TS and TS2)!

(Sorry long text!)

Message 30 of 60 (1,121 Views)