Game Spotlight - The Medal of Honor series

by ivrognard

Original Post

Highlighted

Game Spotlight - The Medal of Honor series

[ Edited ]

The older gamers might recall a time when this series meant a rather big deal and we all waited a new entry with lots of excitement. Not only the gameplay was good, but we always had a solid story attached to it and some rather heroic moments.

It was available on PC, consoles and even portable consoles. But with the rise of the online MP oriented shooters, the series disappeared from EA's line-up for quite a bit. A reboot followed, but it never took off, sadly.

The original series were set in WW2 and showed different parts of the european war theater and of the Pacific war theater. The reboot series were set in the modern days and covered locations like Afghanistan, Bosnia, Pakistan, Phillipines and Somalia. But after a rather decent restart of the series, the final game was poorly received by both critics and gamers alike. Which led to EA's decision to stop any new developments of the series for a while (we still hope that they will try again, especially after seeing the recent BF1 and TF2 games).

I've had my fair share of fun with various MoH titles and i owned at some point the two MoH: Heroes games, developed for Sony's PSP (and they were fun, especially taking in consideration that those games were developed for a portable console).

So, here are my questions:

1. Which MoH game was the first to play from the series

2. Which one is your favorite and why?

3. Your personal MoH top

1. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

2. See above. Why? Because those incredible moments like the Omaha Beach landing or clearing a village full of german sniper and having a really good AI.

3. a. MOHAA (no contest for me here)

b. Pacific Assault

c. Airborne

d. Medal of Honor (1999, PS)

As afterthoughts: i am not sure what went wrong with the reboot attempt. After a surprisingly decent first game, which had a solid MP, decent story and AI, we had a second game with a poor story, bad AI, quite a few bugs (many solved, but the reviews were out, sadly). One good thing came out from all that mess and it was the improvement of the Frostbite engine, improvements that were used heavily in the newer BF games.

So i am wondering, seeing that EA collaborates now with Respawn Entertainment, a company that has in their ranks developers that worked on some of the most acclaimed military shooters out there (including the critically acclaimed Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and the best Call of Duty games - the first 4), is there any chance to see another attempt to revive the series?! In the right hands, i am pretty sure that the series would come back to its rightful place. And EA has the resources and works with some serious talent in our days.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 1 of 12 (1,406 Views)

Re: Game Spotlight - The Medal of Honor series

Community Manager (retired)

Hello everyone! 

Medal of Honor: Frontline is my favourite entry in this series. In fact, it was my first WWII action game, I`ve played since Wolfenstein. I was blown away by both graphics and gameplay. But music and sound were on a completely new level. Still a great game to play to that day.   

Archi.png
Message 2 of 12 (1,382 Views)

★★ Pro

The only Medal of Honor game I played is Pacific Assault, from On the House, I think this game is very good, exepet from the boats part, it took me forever and lots of youtube videos to destroy them

Message 3 of 12 (1,373 Views)

@mathematics654  if you've enjoyed PA, i would recommend you to try Allied Assault, Airborne and MOH 2010. Allied Assault still stands proud and is still a damn great game, even after so many years. 

I am really glad that you liked PA. I wish that EA would add the Director's Edition content, as that included a really nice documentary with interviews with veterans from the Pacific war. Hearing those men talking about their war experience was quite something. The Director's Edition also had the soundtrack included and some making of movies (that is if my memory serves me well).

So, bottom line, try those if you have the opportunity.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 4 of 12 (1,345 Views)

EA DICE Team

@brvsn @Raz3r-f0x @Aztec901 @IIPrest0nII @psychonick6660 @SgtWhat22 @reuhe128233 @DrCraniax @Lunelli_98 @Vanquisher01 @kelvinkhoo1 @melanzysta @PaulvonNod @AsO_PunisheR @19230284 @CZTutamen @Gone_Bonkers @BeLisek @ozzy3401 @FinnPipeMaster

Hi all,

I'm tagging you all to make you aware that we've got a discussion thread going on about the Medal of Honor series. If you're a fan, it's a great place to stop by for a chat with other players.. :-)

Kind regards,

Message 5 of 12 (1,317 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

1. Allied Assault, back in the days.

2. Airborne. because the level design is great, weapons and upgrade ability was something right in my alley. I didn't even mind the science fiction at the end.

3. a. Airborne

b. Spearhead (I know it's an add on, but come on - the campaign was awesome)

c. Allied Assault

d. Breakthrough (look at point b)

Unfortunately for me I didn't played the rest, except for Pacific Assault and two modern ones, but they were a total garbage (PA), or mediocre at best (MoF 2010 and sequel).

Message 6 of 12 (1,298 Views)

Hero (Retired)

My first MoH experience started with Medal of Honor Pacific Assault a long time ago. Then, I played Medal of Honor 2010 Singleplayer and also Multiplayer.  Multiplayer was not bad and it looked like MP in Battlefield Bad Company 2. Also, I like kill streak system like in Call of Duty. Then, I played Medal of Honor Warfighter little since the game was alive for a short time, unfortunately.  Warfighter was a great game, but something went wrong and developers stopped supporting the game. Well, I think you will learn more information about this in Internet. 

That's all what I had with MoH Series :D

Message 7 of 12 (1,296 Views)

★★ Guide

@Straatford87, thanks for tagging me here! 

My first MoH was Allied Assault. I first played I was 7 to 8 years old.  Such a great game!!!! Great game-play and story.I got to say that game got me so addicted that makes me still play this game. Another great MoH was Airborne. Great graphics, game-play, story and the weapons upgrades. I can't say for sure which one is better because both have its up n downs. 

Positive side:

• Great story
  • Realistic
  • No exo-suit (just kidding XD)

Negative side:

• MP is dead
  • These games are forgotten (just remembered by older generation - unknown by the newer generation)

I believe that the series have accomplished a lot through the years and It would be cool to see some of these game remastered so the newer generation would have a different perspective of what really happened during these sad moments in our history.

Message 8 of 12 (1,289 Views)

★★★★ Novice

i got and played all the MoH games on pc,   still play them every so often,  wish EA would restart the franchise warfighter had a good solo campaign but the multiplayer let it down along with EA releasing the game at the same time as a CoD game came out,  EA dropped the ball, not the game despite is mp issues,  EA should make a mends and restart the MoH game series for its fans,   Moh 2010 & Warfighter were great games to play 

Message 9 of 12 (1,275 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thanks for the tag to let me know this discussion is on, @Straatford87!

My first MoH was the 2010 game, which I liked for its campaign.

My favourite would have to be Warfighter. I liked the setting and gameplay, and appreciated the authentic details in equipment and languages. 

I'm still bummed that Warfighter never got the support it needed, because it could have been a direct CoD competitor since its gameplay was relatively close-quarter compared to the more open Battlefield series. I understand the original plan was to have alternating Battlefield and MoH releases every other year.

With the current emphasis on 'period' battles for both Battlefield and the upcoming CoD: WWII, it would be great to see MoH come back to have a new FPS in a contemporary setting.

Message 10 of 12 (1,250 Views)