Game Spotlight - The Command & Conquer series

by Straatford87

Original Post

Re: Game Spotlight - The Command & Conquer series

EA DICE Team

@methuselah @ivrognard

That is an awesome collection indeed - well done! 

What's the story behind the autographed picture? I'm curious to find out.. :-)

Message 11 of 26 (532 Views)

★★ Pro

The only C&C game I played is Tiberium Alliances, I would really like to try the older C&C games, is there any problem with them on Windows 10

Message 12 of 26 (501 Views)

@mathematics654 you should have no problem with C&C3/4 and RA3 and its expansion. The others are requireing some extra work, but one of the boards heroes (Nyerguds) has in-depth tutorials for the games that won't work on Windows 10.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 13 of 26 (496 Views)

EA DICE Team

@mathematics654

As mentioned by @ivrognard, they should work but might need some tweaking. 

We have a really awesome Hero, @Nyerguds, that is an absolute wizard with anything C&C related. If you ever need some help getting the games running then I would recommend to check out the C&C forum boards where he usually lurks.. :D - the forum also has some awesome troubleshooting stickies.

Message 14 of 26 (489 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@mathematics654

Well, you're in luck; given the fact the three oldest ones are freeware, you can try those completely for free, and then move on to The Ultimate Collection if you like them. Do make sure to get the full experience, videos and music included; the games are so much more than just those missions alone.

It is strongly advised to play them in order of release, not just for storyline reasons, but also simply because then you get the game engine's enhancements in order. Do expect a lot of features from the later games to not be present in the first ones; for example, in C&C1 you can't select air units with your mouse while they're in the air, and the way around that is to assign them to a team (using ctrl+number) while they're still landed.

It is also strongly advised to read the game manuals; that's a bit of a lost art, but these manuals will tell you a lot about what you can do in the game, and from that information you can also pretty accurately derive what you can't do yet, if you're used to modern RTS controls. My own C&C1 installer comes with the manual PDFs, but if you have trouble getting some, I have an archive of them online here.

Oh, and never forget Rule #1 Of Playing Old Games:

Don't complain about features that were added in its successors.

Wink

There's also active online communities for pretty much all of these games; CnCNet for the classics (Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1, Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2), and C&C: Online for the later games (Generals, C&C3, RA3). If you have any trouble with the games, their forums are also the ideal place to ask for help; they have loads of experience with getting these games running. In fact, I know the CnCNet installers themselves fix a ton of problems just by installing them on the games.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 15 of 26 (475 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@Nyerguds

I plan to get Origin Access the moment I'm able to buy on Origin (need international visa and parent approval) so I'm planning to get the Ultimate Collection as part of the progrem and not as seprate game, so I proboaly play there the olders as well, since I want the Origin version of the games.

Message 16 of 26 (465 Views)

Hero

@mathematics654

Actually, for these three, there is no merit at all in using the Origin versions. To get the games running in a stable way on modern OSes you will need to install the unofficial patches anyway, (For C&C1, which I patched myself, I know it fixes several game-breaking crashes) and, well... those actually completely replace all but the largest files (like videos and/or music) of the game Large smile

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 17 of 26 (458 Views)

★★ Pro

Believe me or not, I got into this long series only last week! I got C&C 3 and 4 from Origin Access, I love C&C 3 Tiberium Wars, I got 4 since it's the only one with multiplayer, I hope to find a match there soon

Message 18 of 26 (426 Views)

EA DICE Team

@mathematics654

I'm really loving how much you're enjoying Origin Access! Especially since you told me a while ago about how much you would love to have it.

If you're only just starting out with C&C then you're in for a whole lot of fun!

Cheers,

Message 19 of 26 (420 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I love these threads that bring flashbacks to the older days of gaming.  I know there are newer ones in the series, but I still remember playing C&C 1, and 2, local lan, pizza, a couple of drinks, and a little bit of trash talk.  Those sessions were such a blast, instead of the activities per minute fest that are many modern RTS's, those were about (at least for me and my friends) building a massive army, conquering the map, and then an epic smack down on the other side.  Yes, there is more strategy going the other way and using different fast strike, and strike often strategies...but that was just such good memories.

I miss those days! Standard smile

Message 20 of 26 (411 Views)