Re: Game Spotlight - The Command & Conquer series

by uzernaem

Original Post

Game Spotlight - The Command & Conquer series

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

Command_&_Conquer_1995_cover.jpg

Hi everyone,

Each week, we're setting up a thread where you can discuss anything and everything related to your favorite EA game series. This week, we're taking a look at the favorite series for all our real-time strategy fans  - Command & Conquer!

Can you believe that the first Command & Conquer came out in 1995? That's right, as of writing the series is 22 years old! And what an amazing trip it's been for the series. It makes you wonder:

• What brought you into C&C series?
  • What is your all-time favorite C&C game, and why?
  • What are your favorite C&C memories?

Enjoy chatting about Command & Conquer!

Cheers,

Message 1 of 26 (1,406 Views)

So, it looks like i am gonna start.

1. The first C&C game. It had quite a few innovations for its time (the ability to group you units, a tremendous number of units on the screen for the time when it was released, a good unit variety). Joe Kucan did a tremendous job in portraying Kane (definitely one of my all-time favorite villains). I liked the idea of an alternate timeline where history took a different turn. 

2. C&C and RA. The originals. They had a more serious tone and the story was intertwined. Also, loved the original Tanya (her escape scene is still alive in my memory). I know that the sequels have more fans, but for me nothing beats the originals (just my personal opinion, here). 

3. LAN parties with the original games. Had a great partner for our matches. 

I felt sad when RA took a different direction and separated from the C&C universe. The original RA game explained how NOD managed to create its european power base, but after that RA series was basically an alternate universe (just like Generals was later). Would love to see RA and C&C stories in a sync again. Don't have high hopes, though. 

The one game in the series that i definitely did not like was C&C 2. The change was too radical and too sudden. What i did appreciate was the veterancy system. I also consider the expansion better. Much better than the base game (again, i am probably a minority)

C&C3 was definitely a return to the form, but also brought us abilities for units (something borrowed from Emperor: Battle for Dune, if i am not mistaken). It felt more familiar and in tune with the original C&C game.

C&C4 tried some new things, but i think that streamlining the game so much led to the untimely demise of the series. Plus, i don't think that were too many people thrilled with the ending.

RA2 was lovely in its own way. It was history going crazy. Cheesy, cartoonish, but fun in its own way. Gameplay wise, definitely an improvement over the first RA game, benefitting greatly from the new mechanics implemented in C&C2. Plus, Yuri, another great villain that some fans would have loved to see in another game. 

RA3....the base game and the fact that you had to babysit the allied AI or play with a friend in co-op wasn't exactly what the fans expected. The best thing: the unit deisgns were superb. Story...Did it have one?! The expansion was definitely betterfor RA3 and Yuriko's campaign was quite well made. It also had an actual story. Yuriko made quite an impression and some of us would have loved to see her in another game. 

C&C Renegade - i loved the little bugger. It had quite a few innovations for a FPS, but the number of bugs present in the game at launch did not help its popularity. It had a decent story, nice gameplay mechanics and quite a few memorable characters (Sakura, dr. Petrova, Parker, Sidney and the main villain - general Raveshaw). I've had my share of fun playing the game online quite a bit. 

C&C Generals - not a big fan of the SP campaigns here. But as MP goes, definitely had one of the best that you could find in the RTS genre. If there will be a new Generals game, i can hope for a better SP campaign, and a refining of the MP gameplay. 

I miss C&C and RA and would love to see new entries in the series. But so far, i've seen cancellation after cancellation and kind of makes me sadFrown

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 2 of 26 (1,394 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice
  • What brought you into C&C series?

Dune II. I was waiting for the sequel and got C&C instead Standard smile

• What is your all-time favorite C&C game, and why?

Red Alert 1 and its expansions - Counterstrike and Aftermath. Too many hours of lan play on PC and system link on PS1. Also it is weird to say this about a game this simple graphically, but Red Alert 1 has really cool cold war atmosphere, partially thanks to the moody music, partially to iconic cutscenes. Red Alert 2 went a little bit silly with the cutscenes but the game itself is very solid. Not a fan of Red Alert 3 which went full parody, Scary Movie style. Unfortunately it's stupidness is what buried the series for me.

• What are your favorite C&C memories?

As I said before, LAN play. From Red Alert 1 to Tiberian Sun to Red Alert 2. Those 2D games has something special about them, something that only original Westwood could make. Even though 3D C&C games are more polished, they are really a bland experience. Generals went too generic (no pun intended) with its story. Tiberium Wars played it too safe and lacked an amazing post apocalyptic atmosphere of Tiberian Sun. Red Alert 3, I mentoned earlier, went full *. Those games actually do play well but they don't really have a heart of Westwood staff.

Message 3 of 26 (1,386 Views)

To be honest Tiberian Sun was rushed out before Westwood could implement all the ideas they had. 

I see that i am not the only one that likes the old games more than the new one. The only truly good part in RA3 was the Yuriko Omega's campaign in the Uprising expansion. If they would have expanded that tone in the whole expansion and the base game would have been more serious, the series would have been in a better place now. 

The serious tone of the first RA, the link to the C&C game, those things did wonders in putting RA 1 in the classics category.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 4 of 26 (1,380 Views)

EA DICE Team

@GalacticAaaaaa @Roa_dk @cherrypuppy11 @MonzterAssassin @PrinceArrogant75 @Arthur_Carmona94 @GENERALZOOL @Critchy1 @Omnizac @TommGunn @Scumworthy @MWSMWSMWS @AstroGazer @kenonu80 @pedrosoygrande @SneakyFoodThief @Grefranger @zozza112 @samamith @theLumberjack26

Hi all,

I noticed that you've been active on the Command & Conquer forums. If you're a fan, I just wanted to make you aware that here on the Origin forums we've now opened a discussion thread regarding the C&C series.

If you like discussing the games with other players, then I hope this will be of interest to you!

Cheers,

Message 5 of 26 (1,372 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

C&C will always have a special place in my heart! Great gameplay and beautiful cutsccens... And Kane. Kane was such a bad-ass. I can`t really recall a single good guy from C&C franchise. but Kane is the ultimate evil genius/mad cultist of all time. If something like PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale were ever to be created for EA games, Kane would definitely be there.   

Archi.png
Message 6 of 26 (1,357 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

C&C Tiberian Dawn was my first RTS game and what has gotten me closer to the C&C franchise, with Tiberian Sun being my all-time favorite C&C Game.
There was just something about Kane and the Brotherhood of Nod that always sparked my interest in them. I always adored the design of their Red & Black color scheme along with their Scorpion tail emblem. They felt outlandish, yet pretty well organized for a group of people who actually possessed nuclear power.

I even went as far as to embed the will of Nod on my ride, so that the legacy of Kane will be known even on the highways.

IN THE NAME OF KANE

Message 7 of 26 (1,339 Views)

Champion

The latest incarnation of C&C, Tiberium wars is a browser game.  It is suffering from a number of issues but the general gameplay is good.  A few new innovative ideas implemented well would improve the game.  (I've played all the various incarnations since 1995 and still like the original best.)

In the forum there are many threads suggesting improvements, I'd like to see some of them implemented.

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 8 of 26 (1,335 Views)

Champion

oh my.......C&C has been my distraction in life for closing in on two decades.  Some people fish, some hunt

I C&C

• What brought you into C&C series?  A friend drug me kicking and screaming from a solely FPS player to a Command & Conqueror.
  • What is your all-time favorite C&C game, and why?  I'm sorry I can't name just one.  I love Red Alert 2, love Zero Hour, love Kane's Wrath.  I'm not a top level guy so the diversity of the latter two keep me entertained despite the balance issues that I was able to play for years without getting bored.
  • What are your favorite C&C memories?  So many here as well.  I think the biggest for me was the community trips out to the studio in LA before it was shuttered, the commitment of the people working on the games we love was amazing and I was blessed to be able to have some input along the way.

I also love to collect C&C stuff, here is a smattering of my collection  https://www.facebook.com/methuselah-121885527829227/

I'm sad that there is seemingly not much on the horizon for Command & Conquer but I'm hopeful someday that will change and I'll be there on day 1!

Message 9 of 26 (1,303 Views)

@methuselah Is that an autographed poster of Kane?! Nice!

Damn i miss Kane...

Message 10 of 26 (1,280 Views)