Re: Future map change concerns

by decimation92

Original Post

Future map change concerns

★ Guide

The following was quoted by the executive producer of Apex “You didn’t expect Kings Canyon to stay the same forever, did you?” 

Even though I'm excited for any discussion of change because this game is in desperate need of any new content it can get, but at the same time this has me a little worried. The whole sticking with one map and having small changes through out seasons is not enough. Fortnite had this approach and after a couple seasons it became stale and only updating a few areas is not enough change and became forced IMO. I was really hoping to hear that they were working on a new map, possibly a little bigger in size located in a totally different area. This would help keep the game fresh. With the lack of content and poor season 1 battle pass design, it has me worried the new map changes wont be enough. Let me know what you opinion on the matter. 

Message 1 of 16 (1,044 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Right I mentioned this in a thread in the past. It seems respawn is doing the bare minimum. I've come to realize that this game is just a demo hence all the guns are copied from Titanfall and even the map items. Don't expect big changes this was never a big project for them. It's essentially the BR titanfall did not have.

Message 2 of 16 (1,014 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I agree.  Variety is the spice of life.  I want the chance of dropping on a few different maps any time I launch.  At the very least if they do change anything about Kings Canyon hopefully it is adding more loot to find in the more sparse areas of the map.

Message 3 of 16 (1,001 Views)

★★★ Expert

Well, I always consider the comparison between Apex and Fortnite like one between a downhill bike and a triathlon bike: both vehicles are of the same category, functioning by the same principles, but belong to different disciplines and core audiences. Fortnite has different core pillars, its style and difficulty appeal to a broader, more casual, younger audience, there's more building and exploration going on, so it really needs its world to change. Apex, on the other hand, is more suitable for hardcore gamers, that have played shooters before and want to become more competitive, improve their skills, develop team tactics. 

Kings Canyon is already a pretty comprehensive map, with loot and areas that pretty much cover all sorts of combat styles and perfectly sized for a 10-15 minute match. This fine balancing can be broken easily if changes are rushed. Adding more loot areas or altering the looks of the environment won't hurt, but I doubt these will add significant value to the gameplay. Some new interactive objects would be cool as well, especially if useful for developing tactics. 

A new map would have more impact than modifying the current, but I wouldn't expect something of this scale so soon. Next year, perhaps, with additional game modes.

Message 4 of 16 (998 Views)

★ Apprentice

how can you even think about this with all the cheating going on? are you using an aimbot? it seems so if this is where you mind goes.

Message 5 of 16 (937 Views)

★ Guide

Maybe he's on console where there is no cheating? 

I'm on console, I never think about cheating because I never experience cheating. 

Message 6 of 16 (922 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

There will be other maps.

When? I don't know. 

But there will be other maps.

Let over files from the last patch gave it away.

Message 7 of 16 (905 Views)

★★★ Expert

Think about the camo sniper skins, there's jungle camo, and arctic camo.

I hope they do a map in a colder region of the Apex world, would be sweet.

Message 8 of 16 (881 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

They definitely need to go the PubG route & simply make new maps. Except, with no option to choose which map you want to play, just an honest, random rotation, so not to fracture the community.

What would be ideal alongside this is maybe some sort of "preference" option, so if someone truly prefers one map over the other, their odds towards getting to play that map increases. Something like a 70-30 split.

I feel like Fortnite has the creative freedom to simply change things up about their map due to it's animation style & basis in pure fantasy. Some might say that Apex is fantasy too but really it's far Far more grounded in reality than Fortnite ever could be. FN can get away with having a snowy portion of the map, a desert area, volcanic area, small suburban towns, big city spots. Pirate ship locations & futuristic sleek looking updates to preexisting spots, if they feel like it. They're not really bound by any set of rules. Anything can go over there

I feel like its the complete opposite w/ Apex. What kind of major changes could they really make to truly freshen things up? They don't have a lot of room w/o making a completely separate map with a completely separate theme

Message 9 of 16 (857 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I think that a good way not to fracture the community is (like other famous titles) to create a lobby and let the players create their own room where they can choose anything: map (if it will ever be a new one), number of players, private or public and so on!

Message 10 of 16 (813 Views)