From Joy to sorrow. My Apex Legends experience.

by Levityen

Original Post

From Joy to sorrow. My Apex Legends experience.

★★ Novice

I've played a fair share of Fps campaign's since ps2 era but never online shooters. The idea behind Battle royal's have greatly excited me and I've never had the courage to try them out because I know I would not be anywhere near the level of competing against other players.
Therefore, I skipped pubg, fortnite and anything else until I decided to try Apex Legends on my daughter's ps4. The gameplay blew me away and I was literally hooked.
I was generally outplayed by a huge margin but landed in nearly 13 kills in about 60-70 gaming sessions which is terrible.
But since I was hooked, I downloaded it on my pc. Installed my xbox360 controller and started playing with great excitement. Only to understand that in this process I was playing against keyboard/mouse setups and very experienced players. My kill ratio swooped down to 13 kills in like 130 gaming sessions.
I did not lose hope and continued with a different setup using controller/mouse setup. As I cannot use the keyboard for good movement, I use the controller to move and the mouse for better precision aiming. It took some time to get used to but I was getting better and better. But in the end I was always overpowered by the veteran players.

The player interface has a chat to text feature in which I decided to toggle off but it didn't work and I have been seeing alot of players cursing the hell out of me for my inexperience compared to them.
I finally gave up with shame and sorrow and uninstalled the game.

In the end. I'm sure that this game has given other new players the same excitement and sorrow. I would of loved to play this game further but it doesn't seem like I will because of the system. I hope I'm understood and something can be done about giving new players a chance here. Possibly giving different playing levels depending on the strength of the players.
Peace.

Message 1 of 22 (974 Views)

Re: From Joy to sorrow. My Apex Legends experience.

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hey mate

You can always join our Apex Legends Community Discord

The community is quite new,but you might just find someone you can play withStandard smile

Message 2 of 22 (955 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Dont worry it will be. Cheaters are already rampant and actually  I am spectating one rn plus there is no sign or words from the devs about the best br feature called crashing

Message 3 of 22 (948 Views)

★★ Novice

I have noticed many posts on cheating. Which leaves my initial suggestion to being a good idea which was separating players in matches. Pitting high levels against high level players. And low levels against low level players.

Obviously beginner players like me will have no idea if someone is cheating and I would not be able to report this. So cheaters would run around all day shooting down newbies.

But if you pit experienced players against a cheater, they would then pinpoint out the cheaters much more easier. In my opinion that is.

In this way, cheaters are more prone to getting caught and us inexperienced players would have a better chance in competing with other inexperience players.

Message 4 of 22 (946 Views)

★ Pro

But it's exactly those newbies who see "cheaters" everywhere. I'm lvl60 with over 600 kills and 50 wins and I still haven't seen a single cheater. I'm sure they're there, but there's few enough to not be bothered by that.

Message 5 of 22 (937 Views)

Champion (Retired)

I was going to suggest using a joystick for movement rather than a console controller, but I don't think you can map a joystick in Apex Legends. If you do have a joystick lying around you could try it.

I use a Razer Orbweaver Chroma which has a thumb pad on the side you can use for movement. It's tricky though. Personally, I don't use it for movement. I'm sure plenty of other people do. Perhaps something similar could be an option for you?

Message 6 of 22 (931 Views)

★ Pro

I would imagine getting used to a mouse would take some time, but keyboard? I don't get it. You may have trouble hitting the secondary buttons correctly at start maybe (even remembering what's mapped to what takes some time), but I really don't see how movement can be a problem. Just plug the keyboard in and stop being too ingenious o.O.

Message 7 of 22 (925 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the suggestion warslag. I'm actually fine with the joypad and much much better than any keyboard or keypad in the movement department. My complaint is that I'm still a newbie regardless and find this game unplayable at my level. There should be a way to keep newbie players instead of losing them. Maybe even adding a better training ground with bots etc.

Message 8 of 22 (924 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@Levityen wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion warslag. I'm actually fine with the joypad and much much better than any keyboard or keypad in the movement department. My complaint is that I'm still a newbie regardless and find this game unplayable at my level. There should be a way to keep newbie players instead of losing them. Maybe even adding a better training ground with bots etc.

Better training section with bots is a must imo. There's to much to wrap your head around in a public match.

I was lucky I started early in the games life cycle. For new players now, with the amount of players who know what they are doing must be rough.

I'm on console though, so the cheaters don't apply to me.

Don't give up. There is tons of fun to be had win/lose, kill or die.

FPS games tend to attract egotistical elitists who look down on new players. It comes with the territory. Ignore them. I guarantee they were a bad player learning the mechanics at some point. Don't let them bother you Standard smile 

Message 9 of 22 (918 Views)

★ Pro

Lately all new games start without skill based matchmaking. It seems to be the trend. PubG still hasn't got one after almost 2 years.

Hopefully we'll get a ranked mode here faster. Matching players by skill does require a much much larger playerbase. I'm sure they didn't expect to get 25 million players on first week.

Message 10 of 22 (917 Views)