Free Games section disappeared from Origin?

by Kenny32673

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Free Games section disappeared from Origin?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

So I just noticed that the free games section on Origin (both the website and the client) has vanished, I'm not sure when this happened but does that mean no more On The House, no more trials (outside of Origin Access I mean) etc.?

Message 1 of 6 (1,355 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Free Games section disappeared from Origin?

Community Manager

@Kenny32673 Hi, the On the House program was retired. However if you grabbed any games in the past from it they're still yours to play. 

From now on, trials betas and demos will be available on the relevant game page via the "Try it First" button. 

Thanks for the post. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (1,706 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Kenny32673 Hi, the On the House program was retired. However if you grabbed any games in the past from it they're still yours to play. 

From now on, trials betas and demos will be available on the relevant game page via the "Try it First" button. 

Thanks for the post. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 6 (1,707 Views)

★★ Novice

@Kenny32673 wrote:

So I just noticed that the free games section on Origin (both the website and the client) has vanished, I'm not sure when this happened but does that mean no more On The House, no more trials (outside of Origin Access I mean) etc.?

EA retired the Free Games section because they listen NOT to their customers, but to their SHAREHOLDERS! Translation: EA doesn't care about its customers! It cares ONLY about the bottom line! And what is this "bottom line" called? It's called "Net Income". The higher that Net Income is, the happier the shareholders are.

Well! If *I* were an EA shareholder, then I would have actually responded to the retirement of the free section by SELLING OFF ALL OF MY SHARES OF EA STOCK!!! This is because I would have anticipated a HUGE backlash against EA by its customers for this consummate act of GREED! The backlash will eventually result in EA's stock value CRASHING! I would have wanted to CASH OUT my EA stocks before that crash happens!

Message 3 of 6 (1,086 Views)

@Mondain37

Really, you have a problem with someone deciding they don't want to give stuff away??  It wasn't like they were giving top of the line game either, but old stuff, so you really aren't losing much.  All the trials are still available through the specific game page, and most of the older games are now rolled into Origin Access program if I am not mistaken.  Hate to tell you, but you complaining about not getting free stuff to me sounds like greed...ie you don't want to spend your money on games. 

Now I ALWAYS like free stuff, but I am not going to yell at a company that decides to no longer give me stuff, as that is their choice.  If someone wants to give me something for free, and I like it, sure fine, if they don't want to give me free stuff, then if I like it enough I will just buy it.  By the way.....how many free games have you received from Steam??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 6 (1,065 Views)

★★★ Novice

Snap. I claimed them because I could but realistically I've hardly played them. Some ran some poorly like Populous (if you could even get it going) that it was hardly worth it.

Message 5 of 6 (887 Views)

★★★ Newbie

If your marketing department really needs income, better not eliminate the freebies users get. If you build your community and more users prefer your platform they will be assets. Your are just eliminating your potential buyers.

Eliminating free means you claim that your platform is the best? Even without free, you expect Gamers to prefer Origin against it's competitors. Your management must be lacking user's perspective.

Know your competitor's to the fact that you have to use them yourself to know how can you improve. Blindly making such marketing decision without even checking your user's side (they are your asset's).

Message 6 of 6 (395 Views)