Re: For casual queue: a) Good MM b) Low queue times c) Trios vs. Trios -- Choose

by Axs5626Sxa5001

Original Post

Re: For casual queue: a) Good MM b) Low queue times c) Trios vs. Trios -- Choose

★★★ Expert
@Axs5626Sxa5001 I just have to go on record as saying that I believe the baseball analogy is almost perfect. No, there are not a lot of predators in this game, numerically speaking, anymore than professional baseball players comprise a significant number of all baseball players. But they (preds/masters/diamonds) are still in the pool. If Red Sox wiping little leaguers is an extreme example, then how about Red Sox wiping a high school team? A college team? A triple-A team? When does the drubbing become acceptable? And to come back to the "above average" player who isn't a predator: Is he a triple-A player, a college-level player, or a high school level player? And which of those should be allowed to play against grade school little leaguers?

I'm not trying to snowflake my way out of all competition here, but I think there's enough Ayn Rand insanity going on in the real world that maybe video games is place where we can afford to tone it down a little. Although I'm sure the argument could be made that if kids don't learn the hard lessons of competition here then where will they learn them? And that really is a legitimate argument.
Message 21 of 25 (208 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

I hear you. As it pertains to the baseball example, all of those examples involve players in an organized league, who all consciously made the decision to play in a “totally fair competitive, tournament like” situation.

I guess we’re really talking about skill disparity and assessing the likelihood that any one person/team has in winning, in any given situation. I think about situations in which the worst team in the MLB has to play the best team— the lesser team isn’t allowed to say “this isn’t fair, we have a very small chance of winning!”. They play the game and they establish the outcome. A hierarchy is established.

Again, I will state that comparing “non-ranked pvp” and organized sports is not the best analogy. However, it is TOTALLY fair to compare organized sport to “ranked video game experiences”.

Ranked needs to do a better job at ensuring the experience is curated to meet the “true skill” of the current players. I think that Split De-Ranks work in opposition to this. Deranks allow for more skilled players to intentionally abuse the system and bully lesser skilled players— this is much different than allowing these players to meet by chance through a more random matchmaking.

Finally, I would like to state that I do NOT want the removal of SBMM. New players, and players with disabilities should have their own space to play and learn. But after a certain experience level, the non-ranked mode of any pvp game should big a mixed bag (so long as there is a ranked/sbmm mode simultaneously available for people who only want to play people in their exact skill range).

Message 22 of 25 (180 Views)

★ Apprentice

The unfair MM has nothing to do with queue timers or pre-mades. For the last month my duo partner and I have been testing the MM system. After a win it takes 5 bad games where you die early (or quit in the jump ship) to get back to fair lobbies. The difficulty of the lobby has no effect on queue time. The better you do in a match the harder the next match will be, its that simple.

Message 23 of 25 (163 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@NeonXXPPremades definately affect lobbies. I have thousands of games as a premade and solo queue. There is a noticeable difference. When in a premade you get put into lobbies with more premades. And generally premade teams are better than solo.

And queue times definately affect lobbies as the MM tries to get people into games quickly.

Message 24 of 25 (154 Views)

★★ Guide
@NeonXXP This can be due to any other number of factors, though. I've won games and had even easier lobbies after, even lobbies after or harder ones. I've also noticed a bias based on the general MMR of someone that I team up with.
Message 25 of 25 (120 Views)