Focused Feedback: Aim Assist

by EA_David

Original Post

Re: Focused Feedback: Aim Assist

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Genuine question: Aim assist only affects the initial lock-on, correct? So you hold down left trigger (on console), your reticle locks on the the nearest enemy, but from that point onward aiming is manual. If a target that you previously locked onto moves away from centre screen, aim assist won’t follow them. Aim assist will only lock on again if you release and press the left trigger a second time.

Some people are talking about aim assist as if it follows a target around, which isn’t my experience.

Aim assist is much stronger than in GW2. To be honest I didn’t even notice it in GW2. I wonder if a “very light” setting for aim assist might feel more familiar for people coming from GW2.

Personally I like aim assist how it is, since I’m a bit useless at aiming and I appreciate the helping hand, but it does feel a bit cheaty.

My only complaint is that it will sometimes lock on to a different target than I intended. Like maybe I was trying to target a low health enemy  to finish them off, but it locks on to a full health enemy who is closer to me. I’m not sure if this is due to my reticle being closer to the nearby enemy, or if aim assist prioritises nearby enemies.

The whole aiming issue seems very muddled. It’s hard to tell whether people are dissatisfied with aim assist, aiming from the hip, shots not registering due to lag, hitting moving targets, or all of the above. I don’t envy EA trying to sort it all out!

edit: Xbox One, Aim Assist heavy, all other settings at default.

Message 11 of 16 (628 Views)

★★ Guide

Did EA sack the devs that did aim assist in gw2? 

Message 12 of 16 (554 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@FarQM8 GW2 was spot-on! I haven't touched my settings there for years, so I can't remember what I've got, but I don't think I changed things much & they seem to suit all of my characters. In BFN I've found I need to fiddle around for a few different ones.
And I'm far from an expert but it seems to me that it's more than just aim assist that's a problem. Camera vs character movement definitely play a part, as I've slightly improved things by lowering look sensitivity (as well as aim sensitivity), but I still can't get it to feel as natural as GW2.
Message 13 of 16 (547 Views)

★ Guide

@spIash_damage wrote:

Platform: PS4

Settings: I’ve tried them 3 ways: all max sensitivity, all max except aim acceleration, and the settings I’m using now which are closer to all max.

Regardless the settings, our aim feels too slow.  When the momentum does pick up and crosshairs move, I feel drunk when I try to stop them on an enemy.  I can stop my crosshairs (relatively close) to inanimate objects (cactus, trees, signs, etc)... but around foes my redneck self might as well be ice skating on roller skates.

The biggest issue I have is this delayed input, laggy type of feeling when I push buttons or joystix.  Other than unresponsive, I don’t know how else to identify it.  Hip firing/slap shots (as I call them) are a thing of the past because the controls are not crisp enough.

All due respect to developers (or those in charge): go back to PS3 and play GW1 or play GW1/2 on PS4 and see the difference in maneuverability/dexterity/agility;  these older games and even the older console aimed with much more precision.

Lastly - the inability to hit jumping/retreating enemies is still a monster issue.  DON’T KEEP NERFING MOBILITY but instead, make the hit boxes register better or fix the latency causing these issues.... if this happens to fall under aim assist.... then PLEASE MIRROR GW2 settings.

Why can’t we just mirror GW2 console mechanics?!

THIS POST NEEDS MORE ATTENTION!

Thank you for this, I couldn't have said it better. I SERIOUSLY doubt the clunky feeling when moving or aiming has something to do with aim assist. As you said, the input lag when wiggling the sticks alone is INSANE. 

Popcap, really, just boot up the code for Garden Warfare 2 and let your engineers take a second look, it really can't be that hard to get the same feeling back?! No need to ask for our current settings, because their a NONE that make the game feel as crisp and smooth as GW1+2

Fixing this would fix so many issues with it like sprinting/running away etc..

Message 14 of 16 (509 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@EA_David  I think it’s extremely important to make something very clear - the console controls are lacking even with Aim Assist completely off.

After really focusing on aim/trying to pinpoint the issue, it’s like the characters are too prone to bumping into something/walking over uneven surfaces and their crosshairs are too sensitive to this type of input.  The crosshairs deviate standing still in the same manner (when certain circumstances prevail)... but walking and shooting, especially strafing/when you bump into ANYTHING, it’s all a miss compared to the GW games.

To replicate this issue, use a large character (Torchwood GW2, Oak BfN) and shoot at enemies as you travers doorways, corners, hallways, dirt hills/other steps, etc.

This is all with Aim Assist off.  .....

EDIT: replication clarification: you’ll notice when using Torchwood vs Oak that Oak’s crosshairs genuinely feel looser/harder to keep on a target than Torchwood’s (or any character in previous GW’s, for that matter)...

Message 15 of 16 (357 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I switched on Aim Assist for a couple of games of Turf Takeover and experienced the perfect example of how Aim Assist is problematic.

I was on the Zombie team playing Space Cadet and defending on Weirding Woods; Aim Assist was set to "Light"

I encountered a Cactus at mid-to-long range and we both had the benefit of cover. The Cactus was behind cover and set down a Potato Mine before she started returning fire.

I saw the animation indicating that the Cactus placed the mine, but I could not see the mine itself because the cover blocked line of sight but the Cactus was bobbing in and out of cover trying to do a charge sniper shot and my intention was to use the aim function and shoot her as she came out from cover.

In this instance "Aim Assist" continuously dragged my aiming reticule down to the Potato Mine (which was not even visible to me) so my shots kept getting redirected into the cover every single time I tried to aim at the Cactus.

After a couple of seconds of cat and mouse the Cactus evidently assumed I was a terrible shot and stood out in the open to charge up her sniper shot and giving me a clear shot at her, but because the Potato Mine was physically between us "Aim Assist" decided that I simply must be trying to shoot the mine even though I had no line of sight to it and my reticle continuously bounced away from the cactus and back to the mine every time I corrected.

Needless to say I got Spike Shotted and vanquished which allowed me to immediately turned Aim Assist back off after I respawned.

Message 16 of 16 (343 Views)