Focused Feedback: Aim Assist

by EA_David

Original Post

Focused Feedback: Aim Assist

Community Manager

Hi guys, i know lots of folks have talked on this before, but it'd help a lot to have a fresh thread focused on thoughts around aim assist. 

What are the most frustrating aspects with aim assist in BfN?  Also what console/setting are you using?

Context: https://twitter.com/JA_Wiebe/status/1192515975100321793

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 1 of 16 (1,310 Views)

Re: Focused Feedback: Aim Assist

★★★★ Novice

It's too slow so if the assist is strong, then it will force me to fire where the enemies were which doesn't help with low projectile speed weapons. Also completely ruins snap's alt fire since it is an arc so it can't hit if it's not firing above an enemy. I don't remember if there's an option to turn it off, so if not it definitely should. Inverse of this is that homing pea becomes insanely op since it'll hit even if assist screws with your aim. Somehow it makes rose miss almost all the time while ads in close range (mostly an issue with rose but AA doesn't help either)

Message 2 of 16 (1,285 Views)

Champion (Retired)

My issue with it is it will take me up to 30degrees in another direction.  Then I can’t even get back on the target I have a couple shots to finish off and they flee away.  In my opinion it should really only work when you’re aimed within a couple feet of them.  I never needed aim assist in gw1 or gw2 but feel like I have to use it in this one.  When targets are isolated from groups it is not that big of a deal.  With the focus of this games mission in TT there are more groups than anything and it makes it junky.  

The only character i can I can seem to hip fire properly with are the 80’s hero and all star.  For me personally aim assist or aiming in general doesn’t work for electric slide at all and you’re forced to spam abilities.  Which is a bummer because she could be really fun to play.  

That being said not all games are like like this but it is certainly the majority of the time.  Splash would have a better explanation and I’m sure he will chime in soon.  

Message 3 of 16 (1,270 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Platform: PS4

Settings: I’ve tried them 3 ways: all max sensitivity, all max except aim acceleration, and the settings I’m using now which are closer to all max.

Regardless the settings, our aim feels too slow.  When the momentum does pick up and crosshairs move, I feel drunk when I try to stop them on an enemy.  I can stop my crosshairs (relatively close) to inanimate objects (cactus, trees, signs, etc)... but around foes my redneck self might as well be ice skating on roller skates.

The biggest issue I have is this delayed input, laggy type of feeling when I push buttons or joystix.  Other than unresponsive, I don’t know how else to identify it.  Hip firing/slap shots (as I call them) are a thing of the past because the controls are not crisp enough.

All due respect to developers (or those in charge): go back to PS3 and play GW1 or play GW1/2 on PS4 and see the difference in maneuverability/dexterity/agility;  these older games and even the older console aimed with much more precision.

Lastly - the inability to hit jumping/retreating enemies is still a monster issue.  DON’T KEEP NERFING MOBILITY but instead, make the hit boxes register better or fix the latency causing these issues.... if this happens to fall under aim assist.... then PLEASE MIRROR GW2 settings.

Why can’t we just mirror GW2 console mechanics?!

Message 4 of 16 (1,260 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

PC and I have aim assist off completely. With this platform/setting I seem to have less issues than other combinations but aiming does feel off, like the reticle is lagging behind my mouse movement just a bit.

I would echo what others have said and especially @spIash_damage 's post above, don't nerf base mobility any more; make the hit boxes and aiming of running/jumping enemies more appropriate to solve the fleeing situation we often run into.

Message 5 of 16 (1,247 Views)

★★ Apprentice

It seems like a bubble around enemy  push u away from the target. Sensitivity too slow .GW2 was perfect.      Maybe needs windowsize slider like overwatch (console) or something. The game was fun but the aim assist feel really bad. When enemy jump like imp nightcaps that small hitbox so hard to aim.

Message 6 of 16 (1,235 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
XBox One. I have aim assist off altogether for most characters, but find light assist better for a couple, sunflower being one. Heavy is unusable. I'm not very good at the technical descriptions, sadly, but aim just feels "off". If I fire at inanimate objects, the shots often appear to land away from the crosshairs. Firing doesn't feel fast enough or fluid. The slightest shift in camera view from character movement seem to wildly alter the target position - my character appears to be looking straight ahead, so my target should be, but a tiny, tiny tilt means my crosshairs are on people's feet. Apologies for lack of lingo, hope you understand what I mean!!!
Message 7 of 16 (1,231 Views)

★ Apprentice

Aim assist is not the problem, most problem is max aim sensitivity is too low. No need to fix aim assist , i think.

Message 8 of 16 (1,199 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I play on PS4 and I've turned off all aim assist after finding that the "assist" constantly dragged my aim away from the target I wanted to fire at; in some cases aim assist yanked the crosshairs, and the camera, wildly off and I'd wind up as much as 90 degrees off my target in the wrong direction. When opposing team members were tightly Grouped the aim assist hindered more often than it helped since it seldom recognized my intended target and interfered with my firing.

With it completely disabled I have more fun and I'm not distracted by the fact that the reticule sometimes fights me and actively causes me to miss.

Message 9 of 16 (1,186 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

I'm on ps4 I've had to turn aim assist off because I found it made hitting targets harder if anything. I also never use aim acceleration. 

My problems with aim assist:
All the aim assist does in this game is heavily reduce aim sensitivity whenever an enemy pops up in the centre of the screen. The sudden change in sensitivity just feels off. One slight wrong movement on the right stick and boom my aim is now completely off. It slingshots my aim away because it goes from mega slow (from the high aim assist) to going instantly back to my normal fast aim sensitivity. It throws me off. This also happens a lot when they start sprinting away. I'll have the enemy centred on my screen, the turtle sensitivity from high aim assist kicks in, but then they start sprinting and bunnyhopping. Slingshotting my aims all over the place. When they start sprinting high aim assist makes it way harder to keep enemies in centred.

GW and GW2 didn't have this issue because no one was sprinting around at Mach 12 speeds. In those games, if you managed to land shots they would at least chunk decent dmg. Primary fire in BFN was made weaker across the board (not including Scientist's primary fire) and everyone became more agile and hard to hit. Landing shots on hard targets feels almost futile. Sometimes I feel that for some characters (like SnapDragon and 80's), abilities are easier to hit and are more reliable than primary fire when it comes to dmg output.

Message 10 of 16 (1,127 Views)